Sony Playstation Supercomputing (from NYT)

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
NYT story From PlayStation to Supercomputer for $50,000

Mike Showerman, top, and Craig Steffen of the National Center for Supercomputing Applications,

with a computer made of PlayStation 2's.

excerpt :

Quote:

By JOHN MARKOFF

As perhaps the clearest evidence yet of the computing power of sophisticated but inexpensive video-game consoles, the National Center for Supercomputing Applications at the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign has assembled a supercomputer from an army of Sony PlayStation 2's.

The resulting system, with components purchased at retail prices, cost a little more than $50,000. The center's researchers believe the system may be capable of a half trillion operations a second, well within the definition of supercomputer, although it may not rank among the world's 500 fastest supercomputers.

Perhaps the most striking aspect of the project, which uses the open source Linux operating system, is that the only hardware engineering involved was placing 70 of the individual game machines in a rack and plugging them together with a high-speed Hewlett-Packard network switch. The center's scientists bought 100 machines, but are holding 30 in reserve, possibly for high-resolution display application.

if registration required, use User: aimember Pass: aimember

so it's not an XServe rack running Pooch or Wolf clustering software, but it's nice to see another attempt to supersize computing performance out of commercially available gear.

somehow I don't think we'll wait long to see an Xbox-cluster, but it'll probably cheaper to build, given MS is taking a $150 loss on every piece of hardware, and less robust, given MS OS. (note the Playstation Supercomputer is running Linux.)

duelling clusters, anyone?

and I really hope the front-end interface doesn't use PS controllers

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    I remember a rumor going arounad last year that Saddam bought a bunch of PS2s for linking together and designing a nuclear weapon (some weird embargo with computers in Iraq... but PS2s were still available to buy). heh....

\

EDIT: Actually, I heard this before Sept. 11th, so it must have been 2000.
  • Reply 2 of 7
    Don´t think Sony (or especially MS if it becomes a trend) will be that happy for their unvoluntary sponsorship.
  • Reply 3 of 7
    powerdocpowerdoc Posts: 8,123member
    I am wondering if this supercomputer dispite his half trillion calculation by seconde, is efficient in real applications.

PS2 is a very specialized computer for video games. His chip his fast but very specialized. I doubt that this solution can beat real big computers. It looks for me, more like an experiment than a really good industrial product.
  • Reply 4 of 7
    curiousuburbcuriousuburb Posts: 3,325member
    it appears more a "proof of concept" than a practical cruncher (doesn't even make the top 500, although some XServe Clusters do.

from this page

but in busting CRAY's chops a little further, it does support the distributed model of inexpensive, 'standard' gear ganged together, rather than a single monstrous costly 'supercomputer'

points for that, at least.

but i'd still rather see what an octo-970 could do in a single box
  • Reply 5 of 7
    powerdocpowerdoc Posts: 8,123member
    Quote:

Originally posted by curiousuburb

it appears more a "proof of concept" than a practical cruncher (doesn't even make the top 500, although some XServe Clusters do.

from this page

but in busting CRAY's chops a little further, it does support the distributed model of inexpensive, 'standard' gear ganged together, rather than a single monstrous costly 'supercomputer'

points for that, at least.

but i'd still rather see what an octo-970 could do in a single box

The problem with the Gflop benchmarking is that, it does not show real performance with real applications (and not just with SETI or fractal demos).

If it was the case, nobody will buy anymore supercomuter, but just big cluster monsters.
  • Reply 6 of 7
    roborobo Posts: 469member
    The idea of using video game consoles is interesting because such consoles are often sold below cost by the manufacturers, who hope to make the money back on games. So technically, you're getting your hardware below cost, which doesn't happen with desktop computer gear.

-robo
  • Reply 7 of 7
    gardnerjgardnerj Posts: 167member
    how do i get a job with ncsa ... Can you imagine the project meeting ... ok guys i want you to take this pile of kit and play with it for a couple of months and see what you can build ...

now where did i put my redhat cd's