When is the Press Conference?

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
Monday or Tuesday?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 35
    marcsirymarcsiry Posts: 27member
    Tuesday. Here's something interesting- I was signed up for a seminar on Tuesday morning, to be held at the Apple media center here in Santa Monica, CA.

This is the same place that they host the sattelite boradcasts of the keynotes.

Well, this morning I received notification that the seminar had been CANCELLED! It definitly wasn't due to lack of interest, as an earlier seminar was full, and this one filled up shortly after I registered.

Could this mean they need the space for a big press announcement...?

[quote] Dear Apple Event Participant,

We regret to inform you the seminar you registered for, Supercharged Sites with Macromedia Flash on 05/14/2002, from 10:30 AM to 1:30 PM PST in Santa Monica, has been cancelled.

If you would like to register for another event, please visit us on line at <a href="http://www.seminars.apple.com."; target="_blank">http://www.seminars.apple.com.</a>;

Thank you for your interest in Apple,

Apple Seminar and Events

<hr></blockquote>
  • Reply 2 of 35
    synsyn Posts: 329member
    hmm, something's cooking...
  • Reply 3 of 35
    thanks. Should be interesting
  • Reply 4 of 35
    macsrgood4umacsrgood4u Posts: 3,007member
    Apple has invited the press to the Cupetino campus for the unveiling of the Rack Mount server previously announced by SJ. Meeting starts tomorrow ( 5/14/02) at 9 AM PDT. No indication at website of a live Quicktime stream. Meeting to end about 12.00 so info should appear on the site soon after that.
  • Reply 5 of 35
    paulpaul Posts: 5,278member
    [quote]Originally posted by MacsRGood4U:

<strong>Apple has invited the press to the Cupetino campus for the unveiling of the Rack Mount server previously announced by SJ. Meeting starts tomorrow ( 5/14/02) at 9 AM PDT. No indication at website of a live Quicktime stream. Meeting to end about 12.00 so info should appear on the site soon after that.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Good thing my AP phy starts at 1EST (10 PST).... I will probably be too distracted to study... hehehe
  • Reply 6 of 35
    addisonaddison Posts: 1,185member
    Does anyone know what time the meeting starts in GMT?
  • Reply 7 of 35
    eddivelyeddively Posts: 74member
    well.if PT is 9, then GMT is 10, right? GMT is 3 behind EST if im not stupid today. making, it 11, in CST and 12 in EST.
  • Reply 8 of 35
    macsrgood4umacsrgood4u Posts: 3,007member
    The U.S. is now on Daylight Savings Time (not Standard) if that means anything.
  • Reply 9 of 35
    Yes and SpyMac uses something called MST.

Seriously, GMT is 6 hours ahead of New York, how far behind is PST?
  • Reply 10 of 35
    pbg4 dudepbg4 dude Posts: 1,611member
    PST (Pacific Standard Time) is 3 hours earlier than EST, so it would be GMT - 0900 until the conclusion of DST, then it would be GMT - 0800.

MST is Mountain Standard Time, which is EST - 0200, or GMT - 0800 until conclusion of DST, then it will be GMT - 0700

[ 05-13-2002: Message edited by: PBG4 Dude ]</p>
  • Reply 11 of 35
    max8319max8319 Posts: 347member
    what interests me is that the press conference is scheduled for

THREE HOURS!!!!!!1

wtf are they gonna talk about for 3 hours?

there are glimmers of hope
  • Reply 12 of 35
    undotwaundotwa Posts: 97member
    Well these are my predictions for the keynote:

Rackmounts: (duh)

Dual 1 GHz G4s

2 GB of 166 MHz DDRAM

2x 72 GB Ultra SCSI RAID

Discontinuing of the PowerMac Server line (seriously, they are practicly the same as the Power Mac workstations)

iBook 12":

800 MHz G3

512 KB L2 Cache

20 GB HD

128 MB SDRAM

DVD/CD-RW

ATI Radeon Mobility 16 MB

$999

iBook 14":

800 MHz G3

512 KB L2 Cache

40 GB HD

128 MB SDRAM

DVD/CD-RW

ATI Radeon Mobility 16 MB

Higher Resolution

$1295

Discontinuing the G3 iMac Range, eMacs available to consumers.$300 price cut on iMacs,

Bet that's a bit much, but three hours??? That's longer than a macworld keynote (I think)
  • Reply 13 of 35
    cosmonutcosmonut Posts: 4,872member
    To quote a great philosopher of the late 20th Century:

"Yeah, and monkeys will fly out of my butt!"

-- Wayne from "Wayne's World"
  • Reply 14 of 35
    Apple has a blank sheet here and must look to the future so I believe that these machines will incorporate all the very latest technology. They will need to be taken seriously and to do that they must incorporate a lot of robust feaurers including:-

1. DDR

2. Mutiple processors.

3. Hot swap scussi drives with Raid.

4. Dual power supplies.

5. Dual NIC's

I suspect that in the short term these machines could easily exceed the performance of the current Powermac range.
  • Reply 15 of 35
    [quote]Originally posted by PBG4 Dude:

<strong>PST (Pacific Standard Time) is 3 hours earlier than EST, so it would be GMT - 0900 until the conclusion of DST, then it would be GMT - 0800.

MST is Mountain Standard Time, which is EST - 0200, or GMT - 0800 until conclusion of DST, then it will be GMT - 0700

[ 05-13-2002: Message edited by: PBG4 Dude ]</strong><hr></blockquote>

Um, the words vaguely grasping for are:

4pm-7pm GMT

5pm-8pm UK
  • Reply 16 of 35
    g-newsg-news Posts: 1,107member
    It's rather 1700 to 1800 GMT, ie GMT+1.

Now it's exactly 1734 GMT+1 and no word from noone on anything new, yet.

G-News
  • Reply 17 of 35
    cakecake Posts: 1,010member
    The press congference is here in California right?

It's only 8:39AM here and it doesn't start until 9AM.

Anyone carrying it live? IRC maybe?
  • Reply 18 of 35
    tompagetompage Posts: 50member
    No, it is now 16:42 UK time (which is on summer time and therefore at GMT+1- the UK is on GMT in the winter). In Europe it is now 17:43 (GMT+2). PST is 8 hours behind the UK, therefore the event will commence at 17:00 UK time or 18:00 European time.

In any event, don't expect attendees to get out and put the info online until at least an hour after it has started, although if apple is quick off the mark they may update their own website around the start time of the event.
  • Reply 19 of 35
    bellebelle Posts: 1,574member
    It's just not that difficult. The vast majority of places are on daylight savings right now.

It's currently around 8.45am in Santa Monica. The conference starts in 15 minutes.

9am in Santa Monica.

9am in Seattle.

12 noon in New York.

5pm in London.

6pm in Paris.

Wherever you are, it starts in 15 minutes!

• Reply 20 of 35
    cakecake Posts: 1,010member
    Man!, I'm in Culver City just a few miles from Santa Monica. Maybe I can sneak in!