MacBidouille posts PPC 970 benchmarks

Comments

• Reply 501 of 665
    brunobruinbrunobruin Posts: 552member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Ensign Pulver

1. 90% Confidence level: The next PowerBook is indeed going to sport a PPC 970, and have a specially built 15.4" LCD from ChiMei at a resolution higher than 1280x800

Oh mommy, please let this be true as I am going to buy a new PowerBook at the next rev...
  • Reply 502 of 665
    netromacnetromac Posts: 863member
    Quote:

Originally posted by BrunoBruin

Oh mommy, please let this be true as I am going to buy a new PowerBook at the next rev...

You're not alone my friend, you're not alone...
  • Reply 503 of 665
    rhumgodrhumgod Posts: 1,289member
    Quote:

Originally posted by NETROMac

You're not alone my friend, you're not alone...

I sold my Titanium 400 a couple months ago and have been saving like a miser for a new one. Wouldn't it be nice if were only a month away....only time will tell.
  • Reply 504 of 665
    jbljbl Posts: 555member
    Quote:

The MacWhispers guy (Jack whatever) has posted again in the MacRumors forum

"I plan on still being around next year, and afterwards, and truly don't want to see what little reputation I've earned get fried right here and now, so I am being excrutiatingly cautious in what I report here, and on MacWhispers.

Take it for what you will. "

If you want to know the kind of reputation he is bragging about, take a look at this.
  • Reply 505 of 665
    kupan787kupan787 Posts: 586member
    Wasn't it in another thread here (or maybe it was another board) but this powerjack guy was just ripped by others. So I don't know if I would believe him any more than I would believe and other rumor.

Plus, if he really was under NDA and was spreading info like this (on a website or a message board, remember workerbee?), he would be hauled off.
  • Reply 506 of 665
    amorphamorph Posts: 7,112member
    kupan787 has a point. If he is in fact under NDA, Jack is no safer posting on MacRumors' message board than he is posting to MacWhispers, and it doesn't take a genius to figure that out.

I smell a rat.
  • Reply 507 of 665
    keyboardf12keyboardf12 Posts: 1,379member
    I've hired Rat Control. They have scheduled an appointment on June 23rd.
  • Reply 508 of 665
    ensign pulverensign pulver Posts: 1,193member
    IBM confirms Apple's use of POWER processors?

"Key features of the p615 include:

IBM's POWER4+ microprocessor. The POWER4+ microprocessor is a "server on a chip" that contains two one-gigahertz-plus processors, a high-bandwidth system switch, a large memory cache and I/O. IBM's POWER family of microprocessors is among the most widely used in the industry and can be found in Nintendo game consoles, Apple computers and some of the world's most powerful supercomputers and storage systems."

They don't appear to mean the G3 as they are clearly discussing the "POWER family of microprocessors", but then reference the Game Cube which doesn't use a POWER processor. Is this press release a smoking gun or just poorly worded? It will be interesting to see if it gets pulled or amended later today.
  • Reply 509 of 665
    onlookeronlooker Posts: 5,252member
    Quote:

IBM's POWER4+ microprocessor. The POWER4+ microprocessor is a "server on a chip" that contains two one-gigahertz-plus processors, a high-bandwidth system switch, a large memory cache and I/O. IBM's POWER family of microprocessors is among the most widely used in the industry and can be found in Nintendo game consoles, Apple computers and some of the world's most powerful supercomputers and storage systems."

I don't think they mean the G3 as they are clearly discussing the "POWER family of microprocessors". Is this a smoking gun? It will be interesting to see if the press release gets pulled or amended later today.

Quote:

IBM's POWER family of microprocessors is among the most widely used in the industry and can be found in Nintendo game consoles, Apple computers

The power Family Includes all PowerPC processors.
  • Reply 510 of 665
    nonsuchnonsuch Posts: 293member
    Quote:

Originally posted by JBL

If you want to know the kind of reputation he is bragging about, take a look at this.

Thanks for the link ... very interesting indeed!

I wonder if "Jack Campbell" is even a real person, a la "Nick DePlume"?
  • Reply 511 of 665
    jcgjcg Posts: 777member
    Quote:

They don't appear to mean the G3 as they are clearly discussing the "POWER family of microprocessors", but then reference the Game Cube which doesn't use a POWER processor. Is this press release a smoking gun or just poorly worded? It will be interesting to see if it gets pulled or amended later today.

They do mean the G3 becouse Nintendoes processor is a G3 varient the IBM custom made for the GameCube.
  • Reply 512 of 665
    junkyard dawgjunkyard dawg Posts: 2,801member
    Quote:

Originally posted by NETROMac

Yepp, very strange. But I think I recall that he earlier said he was working under NDA from Apple now, so he had to be more careful as what to put up on the site, and therefore he post on message boards instead.

Why would it be ok for someone bound by NDA to disclose secrets on a message board but not a website?

• Reply 513 of 665
    sc_marktsc_markt Posts: 1,402member
    Anyone with a pc and some spare time feel like checking this out?

Its a link for a recording on "NCSG - Altivec 2" (which is probably nothing.)
  • Reply 514 of 665
    kurtkurt Posts: 225member
    This may be off topic but I'll post it anyway.

IBM is supposed to be releasing other processors in the 970 family. They publically stated the 970 is the first. In the past they have seemed to be a little more forthcoming with information about future processors. Do you think Apple will continue to convince them to keep details as sketchy for future processors or, once the 64-bit cat is out of the bag, they will give more information?
  • Reply 515 of 665
    kidredkidred Posts: 2,402member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Junkyard Dawg

Why would it be ok for someone bound by NDA to disclose secrets on a message board but not a website?

Either he thinks Apple won't see him on a message board or this his apparent justification to why he can.
  • Reply 516 of 665
    netromacnetromac Posts: 863member
    Quote:

Originally posted by sc_markt

Anyone with a pc and some spare time feel like checking this out?

Its a link for a recording on "NCSG - Altivec 2" (which is probably nothing.)

As you said, nothing new or remotely interesting, not to me at least. I added a few shots under that shows what kind of accelerating altivec can be capable of.

• Reply 517 of 665
    fred_ljfred_lj Posts: 607member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Nonsuch

Thanks for the link ... very interesting indeed!

I wonder if "Jack Campbell" is even a real person, a la "Nick DePlume"?

This is who we're dealing with?! I remember his company, "DV FORGE" (has anybody actually received anything from them? Most of their stuff looks close to useless, but whatever...) complaining about not having been given appropriate space at a Macworld convention or something like that, of having been kept in the dark from Apple about a new product or something or another.

He's a character. None of the BS flowing from him should be taken with any face value whatsover.
  • Reply 518 of 665
    I was just thinking back over various rumours about the ppc 970, and a thought struck me. Some time ago, Moki hinted that not only would Apple be releasing computers based on this platform, but also, at some point, with alternative processors from AMD or Intel.

I understand the whole argument about Apple not wanting to lose hardware sales by opening OS X up to clone makers selling x86 based hardware, and that there are huge problems with getting carbon and classic apps to work, but I was just thinking that if Apple believed they could guarantee that ppc 9xx based macs had a significant performance advantage over x86 based machines running OS X, whether it might potentially open up this market.

At the moment, the best information we have suggests that the ppc 970 will match, or at least significantly close the gap to x86, as everyone is aware. Haninbal at Ars technica provided a detailed overview of this.

His assumptions were based on public info about the processor, however. Moki has hinted that this info is, at least to some degree, not strictly accurate, and that there are several key 'surprises' about the chip or it's decendents (typically, he was rather obtuse about this!)

Of course, i have no inforation to back my theory up, and i don't totally subscribe to it myself, but if Apple thought that with this chip and the rumoured ppc980 or other 9xx series chips, it could offer a decent advantage over any x86 based machine, it could introduce a x86 based version of OS X whilst reducing the likelihood that it would endanger it's PPC hardware sales. Whether this would come don t releasing it's own x86 machines or offering OS X to third party manufacturers is another matter.

Anyway, just some random musings.

It would be interesting to hear if Moki still thinks that any kind of non PPC based macs are likely in the future
  • Reply 519 of 665
    lemon bon bonlemon bon bon Posts: 2,383member
    Has anybody checked out Macrumors? They've got an 'oobie-doobie' link which claims some a mystery 'ports' on the 970 motherboard. Firewire 800x2 of course. Amongst others...

Lemon Bon Bon
  • Reply 520 of 665
    leonisleonis Posts: 3,427member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Lemon Bon Bon

Has anybody checked out Macrumors? They've got an 'oobie-doobie' link which claims some a mystery 'ports' on the 970 motherboard. Firewire 800x2 of course. Amongst others...

Lemon Bon Bon

Those ports are designed to suck up lemon juice