iBook: Is the Fan Working?

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
I'm trying to figure out if my iBook has a faulty fan or not. It is a new model 12" @ 900MHz.

The thing is, the sucker gets pretty warm after about an hour's use. The left side palm rest will get quite warm and the bottom of the unit will become even warmer. I know the left side is supposed to get "a little warm" by people's definition, because of the harddrive, but I don't really know people's personal definition of what 'warm' is.

Am I supposed to hear a fan kick in at some point? Because my iBook remains whisper quiet at all times. When I turn it on, I believe I can faintly hear a quiet fan powering up and this fan stays on all the time. It's very quiet and I assume is a CPU fan? (It's on the left-hand side). Is there supposed to be another fan that only turns on when needed? Should I be able to hear it? Am I ever supposed to feel any air blowing out of any part of the unit? Because I don't...

Thanks.

Amnon

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    lucaluca Posts: 3,833member
    Try running SETI@home in the background while listening to iTunes, talking to people on iChat, and surfing. If you keep the CPU at 100% long enough, it'll kick the fan in. But it does go on faster if you just work the graphics card with a demanding game.
  • Reply 2 of 4
    murbotmurbot Posts: 5,262member
    I remember the fan in my 800 scaring the crap out of me when it went off. It was on the counter in the kitchen and I had just finished copying my 8th or so CD to the HD. Only time I've ever heard an iBook's fan go off...

My last PowerBook OTOH, plug power adapter in, fan goes on.

• Reply 3 of 4
    toweltowel Posts: 1,479member
    It has to get pretty hot before the iBook's fan turns on. You can't miss it, though, it makes some noise. Try putting the iBook on top of a pillow and then doing something taxing with it. I've found stopping the normal airflow under the iBook is the surest way to get it really hot.
  • Reply 4 of 4
    ebbyebby Posts: 3,110member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Towel

Try putting the iBook on top of a pillow and then doing something taxing with it. I've found stopping the normal airflow under the iBook is the surest way to get it really hot.

Shweet Jeebus!! Hand over that iBook now!

(The poor thing )