Who's the best guitarist ever?

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
I'm speaking mostly in the pop/rock/blues realm. But if you want to include some of the great classical and jazz guitarists, that's okay too. Plenty to choose from, both past and present.

I'll throw out a bunch:

Jimmy Hendrix

Mark Knoffler

Carlos Santana

B.B. King

Eric Clapton

Comments

• Reply 1 of 117
    brbr Posts: 8,395member
    Quote:

Originally posted by satchmo

I'm speaking mostly in the pop/rock/blues realm. But if you want to include some of the great classical and jazz guitarists, that's okay too. Plenty to choose from, both past and present.

I'll throw out a bunch:

Jimmy Hendrix

Mark Knoffler

Carlos Santana

B.B. King

Eric Clapton

Tom Morello.
  • Reply 2 of 117
    709709 Posts: 2,016member
    Adam Jones - Tool

I've not been a Tool fan for some years, but this guy's style is unmistakable.
  • Reply 3 of 117
    dale soreldale sorel Posts: 186member
    Quote:

Who's the best guitarist ever?

That's an easy question...Eric Clapton of course 8)
  • Reply 4 of 117
    jesperasjesperas Posts: 524member
    Stevie Ray Vaughan
  • Reply 5 of 117
    seanmseanm Posts: 69member
    Best ever? Oof, very difficult question. Nevermore's Jeff Loomis never ceases to amaze me. Both Mikael Åkerfeldt of Opeth and Carmelo Orlando from Novembre own me as well. May as well throw Marty Friedman up there too.

Edit:

Adding a few more of my favorite guitarists...

Jon Schaffer of Iced Earth

Dave Mustaine

The Amott brothers from Arch Enemy make a great team, imo

Devin Townsend
  • Reply 6 of 117
    buonrottobuonrotto Posts: 6,368member
    Geordie Walker
  • Reply 7 of 117
    brussellbrussell Posts: 9,812member
    Quote:

Originally posted by satchmo

I'm speaking mostly in the pop/rock/blues realm.

There's just no way to tell who is the best pop/rock/blues guitarist, because those genres just don't put anyone's abilities to the test. Yes, I'm a dick for saying that. But it's true.
  • Reply 8 of 117
    jesperasjesperas Posts: 524member
    Well, s/he did say that classical and jazz could be thrown in for consideration...or did you have something else in mind?
  • Reply 9 of 117
    ariari Posts: 126member
    Andres Segovia.
  • Reply 10 of 117
    trick falltrick fall Posts: 1,271member
    Some guitarists I really enjoy, Lee Renaldo of Sonic Youth, Chris Stein from Blondie, Reverend Horton Heat, David Gilmour, Rory Gallagher, The Edge and about a million more.

BRussell, I challenge any classical or jazz guitarist to play down picked power chords as well as Jonny Ramone. I guarantee none of them can do it.
  • Reply 11 of 117
    brussellbrussell Posts: 9,812member
    Quote:

Originally posted by trick fall

BRussell, I challenge any classical or jazz guitarist to play down picked power chords as well as Jonny Ramone. I guarantee none of them can do it.

What does it take to play power chords well? Lots of experience jacking off?

• Reply 12 of 117
    chronologically:

robert johnson

django reinhart

charlie christian

chet atkins

les paul

eric clapton

jimi hendrix

jerry garcia

duane allman

carlos santana

mark knopfler

and i have real affection for jorma kaukonen's acoustic work.
  • Reply 13 of 117
    ast3r3xast3r3x Posts: 5,012member
    Tim Reynolds hasn't even been mentioned?!
  • Reply 14 of 117
    aquafireaquafire Posts: 2,758member
    Spank D Monkey

Willy Flybone

Maddy MoMo

Muzzel Toff

• Reply 15 of 117
    resres Posts: 711member
    Stevie Ray Vaughan and Jimmy Hendrix are the ones I'd vote for as the greatest guitar players of all time. Both died far too young...
  • Reply 16 of 117
    logan calelogan cale Posts: 1,281member
    Michael Hedges.
  • Reply 17 of 117
    applenutapplenut Posts: 5,768member
    with things like this you don't want to agree with the majority and pick the "common" names but to be honest.... i think it really is Jimi Hendrix, Eric Clapton and Stevie Ray Vaughan.

Especially Clapton...... I think Clapton can adjust and play anything better than anyone. Not only that but as a musician and a song writer he far exceeds anyone else.

Clapton is God.
  • Reply 18 of 117
    the best really isn't quantifiable is it? my list probably could be called most influential, which is quantifiable more or less.

and even though i think he's derivative, stevie ray should be on that list.

buddy guy maybe too, i once saw buddy play an open air date that had train tracks run parallel to the stage, and sure enough midway through buddy's set a train blasted it's horn as it was passing by, deftly buddy and the band shifted keys to the key the train horn sounded in and proceeded to duet with the locomotive into the distance. i will never forget it.

i saw stevie ray in the same place but no train passed, stevie ray knew the story and was ready he was really dissapointed.
  • Reply 19 of 117
    moogsmoogs Posts: 4,296member
    Eric Clapton shouldn't even be on the invite list. I don't know where people get the idea he's this amazing guitarist. Yes his stuff is pretty distinctive sounding and he's a great song writer, but he's not even close to being one of the best guitarists in the world.

I guess this really depends on what your criteria are. If your criteria is ability to play a wide range of riffs accurately and extremely fast (the hard rock thing), I've never heard anyone who comes close to Yngwie Malmsteen. That said, he's a tool, musically speaking. Other than Black Star and a couple other "masterpieces", he was nothing.

Mark Knopfler has one of the most distinctive sounds, so if that is your criteria, he's tough to beat for the rock category. Hendrix was of course, amazing. Jimmy Page deserves a big entry on the ole ballot too.

However if you want my votes, I'd say the two best all-around guitarists I've ever heard are Stevie Ray Vaughn and Pat Matheny (a jazz guitarist). They are quite simply, amazing. Often immitated, never duplicated. They had/have such a tremendous range to their playing that I have to say they are the best. They've got it all, while many of the others listed are either mostly style or mostly "tricks" (speed riffs, etc.).
  • Reply 20 of 117
    Quote:

Originally posted by Moogs

Eric Clapton shouldn't even be on the invite list. I don't know where people get the idea he's this amazing guitarist. Yes his stuff is pretty distinctive sounding and he's a great song writer, but he's not even close to being one of the best guitarists in the world.

wow