ibook or powerbook?

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
I don't know which one to buy.

A 12" ibook with Combodrive, 640mb,G3 900 mhz...

or a 12" Powerbook with combodrive, 640mb, g4 867mhz...

I want to use it for editing videos with final cut pro or express for our local skateteam, play music and connect it to my ipod, work with appleworks for our local skatemag watch DVDs and go online in some cafes with wireless technologie.

The videoediting isn't so heavy, just 4 or 5 video lines, some little effects and so on. I've got many experiences with adobe premiere on PC but I now want to switch. And witch Editing software is better for the portable usage, final cut pro 4, or express?

Could you please help me with my choice.

thanks

cyc2222

P.S: excuse me if I've made some misstakes, but I'm from germany and my english is not as good as yours.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 12
    moliumoliu Posts: 42member
    If I were you, I would definite go for the PB12. ibook is cheaper, but it might not be enough for you if you're doing any video work. G4 process can process video faster than a ibook. It's also got superdrive if you order it, which will enable you to make dvd much easier.
  • Reply 3 of 12
    macusersmacusers Posts: 840member
    very intresting, i might consider an iBook since these tests are very similar

EDIT: went to the Apple Store deffinitley want a 12-inch PowerBook over the iBook
  • Reply 4 of 12
    Quote:

I've taken a look at the results a while ago. But I'm not sure about it. Is the difference so minimal? There should definitely be a difference between G4 and G3 processors?
  • Reply 5 of 12
    Quote:

Originally posted by MacUsers

very intresting, i might consider an iBook since these tests are very similar

EDIT: went to the Apple Store deffinitley want a 12-inch PowerBook over the iBook

yah... and they look a lot better too
  • Reply 6 of 12
    junkyard dawgjunkyard dawg Posts: 2,801member
    Powerbook for sure.

OS X runs faster on a G4, FCP runs faster, basically any multimedia app will run faster on the G4 if the app is optimized for Altivec (a vector processing unit on the G4, but not on the G3). The G4 has a much longer lifespan because of this, in other words, your Powerbook will have a longer usable lifespan than the iBook because of it's G4 processor.

Plus, the Powerbook has more features, a far better keyboard IMO, and it just plain looks cooler.

If I were you, I'd consider getting the Powerbook with a superdrive, if you've got the cash. It'd be real nice to make DVDs of your final cut pro work.
  • Reply 7 of 12
    cyc2222cyc2222 Posts: 6member
    Thanks a lot!

I think I'm going to purchase a 12" powerbook with superdrive.

cyc2222
  • Reply 8 of 12
    scottscott Posts: 7,431member
    That's what I got. It's nice?
  • Reply 9 of 12
    alcimedesalcimedes Posts: 5,486member
    moving over to General Discussion. (purchasing advice)
  • Reply 10 of 12
    My experience might be a little different, regarding ibook vs pb, but that said he goes.

purchased an ibook 800, etc in September versus a dell or Sony.

For 3 months I was happy with it until I meet a girl witha 15'ti pb. Hummm, her machine had a few items that where getting to me. Plus the Apple retailers referred to my ibook as a "chicklet", th e design look.

Well got a 15"pb 867 in January of this year and it delivers. When you compare the 12" Pb...the 12" just doesn't have the specs.

go for the larger PB, then again it will be last years news when the new ones are introduced next week.

If you are not bothered by the " oh the latest" prices for 15" PB are a deal.

I still liked my chicklet, very compact and the lid closure is better than the PB
  • Reply 11 of 12
    josephgjosephg Posts: 111member
    Quote:

Originally posted by kollective2002

I still liked my chicklet, very compact and the lid closure is better than the PB

I have to disagree about the lid closure. The precision feel of the PB (magnetic clasp and counterbalanced hinges) is much better than that of the creaky iBook.
  • Reply 12 of 12
    paulpaul Posts: 5,278member
    whatever you do, don't buy the ram from apple...