970 appearance: Educated guesses

Comments

• Reply 41 of 80
    brunobruinbrunobruin Posts: 552member
    Quote:

Originally posted by visigothe

I have now received information that Apple Store employees are to attend a mandatory meeting on the 22nd.

Probably to arm them for the riots that will happen on the 23rd when there is no mention of 970 Power Macs in the Stevenote.
  • Reply 42 of 80
    amorphamorph Posts: 7,112member
    Quote:

Originally posted by BrunoBruin

Probably to arm them for the riots that will happen on the 23rd when there is no mention of 970 Power Macs in the Stevenote.

"We've got a lot of things to go over today, so let's get started.

First, the 970 PowerBook. [etc.] And it's available right now.

Then, the 970 iMac. [etc.] You can pick it up at the Apple Store today.

And we're pleased to unveil the all-new 970 iBook. Again, you can get yourself one right after the keynote.

Oh, and there's One More Thing(TM):

[silence]

New PowerMac G4s: 1.01GHz, dual 1.26GHz, dual 1.44GHz, available in September."

• Reply 43 of 80
    fred_ljfred_lj Posts: 607member
  • Reply 44 of 80
    visigothevisigothe Posts: 81member
    Quote:

Originally posted by fred_lj

Gosh, what I would do to be employed at one of those retail stores right about now...this is probably one of the most exciting times at Apple!

Visigothe, dude, if this stuff even turns up remotely accurate, then you're up for some good things (well, at least good words)!

Thanks for the kind words, fred_lj!

That said, I really don't think that there is anything new or exciting from my information, just a lot of jumping off points for wild speculation.

Oh, also just to be clear, in no way did I mean to imply that a new 15" PB was going to be available based on information I received. This was just an observation

Rock on! 8)
  • Reply 45 of 80
    piwozniakpiwozniak Posts: 815member
    I think it would look cool in bad ass black.

probably won't happen as all the displays are gray, etc,

• Reply 46 of 80
    Quote:

Originally posted by piwozniak

I think it would look cool in bad ass black.

probably won't happen as all the displays are gray, etc,

Nah, Apple has already gone through its black phase in the 90s. We like to think that they are a bit more progressive than that
  • Reply 47 of 80
    lemon bon bonlemon bon bon Posts: 2,383member
    "Probably to arm them for the riots that will happen on the 23rd when there is no mention of 970 Power Macs in the Stevenote."

Riots indeed.

(Lemon Bon Bon pitchin a baseball bat with a nail through the end...)

They'd betta be there...

Lemon Bon Bon
  • Reply 48 of 80
    lemon bon bonlemon bon bon Posts: 2,383member
    Speaking of the look of the new Towers.

I saw a PC 'Advent' (or whatever it's called...) in PC World. It's got a rather slender 'tower' form factor. Like a desktop on its side. But sleeker. With the 'in' blue glow lighty thing that 'cool' PCs are having these days. Quite attractive for a PC.

Not bad. Didn't have the Apple edge. But not bad.

If they can get a Toast Burning Pentium 4 in such a narrow 'Tower' design...it may give some clues as to where Apple may go with the form factor on the 970s.

Slimmer. Much slimmer? A few 'glowy' lights or ambient touches ala the 17 incher keyboard?

As for the PSX...something about it triggers the idea that the 970 Tower may be aluminium based with some plastics in a kinda 'Advent' form factor. This all seems in vogue. Apple may well put their own spin on it.

A slender 'tower' version of their Powerbooks designs..?

Lemon Bon Bon
  • Reply 49 of 80
    gilschgilsch Posts: 1,995member
    Nah, it's gonna be round....like a donut....or more like the giant space stations you see on sci-fi movies.

Seriously, I think the new Powermacs will be shaped like a cube with rounded lines. Picture a cube that's about to implode. No, I'm totally serious.
  • Reply 50 of 80
    piwozniakpiwozniak Posts: 815member
    Quote:

Originally posted by visigothe

Nah, Apple has already gone through its black phase in the 90s. We like to think that they are a bit more progressive than that

noooo, not that kind of black....

Black anodized alu.

Not cheap plastic, something which when you look at it, says power.

Look at IBM's servers (iseries) they are all plastics, but you feel some respect for that machine :-) just by looking at it.

Simple, clean lines, not too round, basically balck alu box with some of 'apple touch' one small power button,

Everything now it's silver/gray-ish. It's starting to get old...
  • Reply 51 of 80
    netromacnetromac Posts: 863member
    I don't think black is the solution. Why would Apple make amazing computers that are virtually invisible. I think the new powermacs, and eventually the whole line, is going to be some sort of "blend" between aluminium, chrome, white and clear plastics. Nothing flashy, but cool looking in a subtle kinda way. I think the current cinema displays are the most succesful product Apple has out there design vise (maybe not ergonomic though). The next powermac may have some sort of handle, but not four handles like the current one. I also think it will be slimmer without compromising internal space, and it will probably have great cooling capacity without the need for a dozen fans blowing in all directions. In all these years since the B&W G3 Apple has probably had time to make thousands of prototypes, and we're going to see the fruit of their work soon. Exxxiting.

netro
  • Reply 52 of 80
    keyboardf12keyboardf12 Posts: 1,379member
    titanium is the new black.

black is so last century.
  • Reply 53 of 80
    hmmm.

supposedly they are going to be aluminum, they will resemble the current G3-G4handled case, but the handles will not be as rounded, but more 'angular.' but as what has been rumored for a while now, definitely aluminum, as far as I can tell. (brushed aluminum, not black or red or pink poka-dotted.)

-walloo.
  • Reply 54 of 80
    Quote:

Originally posted by willywalloo

hmmm.

supposedly they are going to be aluminum, they will resemble the current G3-G4handled case, but the handles will not be as rounded, but more 'angular.' but as what has been rumored for a while now, definitely aluminum, as far as I can tell. (brushed aluminum, not black or red or pink poka-dotted.)

-walloo.

Oh, god, I hope not I don't see why everybody want's an all-aluminum case. If thats the "case", I will probably rip out the parts and stuff into my QS case

But I'm not too troubled by this tought though. I'm sure Apple will come up with something new and cool lookin', and not a CoolerMaster clone
  • Reply 55 of 80
    aquaticaquatic Posts: 5,602member
    WELCOME BACK to CDonG4!

El Capitan kicks so much ass. I like seeing new stuff but I hope they don't go backwards with El Capitan. It's sooo easy. Front ports with a cover are PC-like but nice and everyone wants them. So Apple should make use of those "speed holes" (yea simpsons )
  • Reply 56 of 80
    Quote:

Originally posted by Aquatic

WELCOME BACK to CDonG4!

El Capitan kicks so much ass. I like seeing new stuff but I hope they don't go backwards with El Capitan.

I hope the fear for the new powermac case going backwards is unfounded. I can imagine that they're taking the basic funtionality with the door and improve on that. It's easy the best and easiest acciessible case out there today. And one of the nicest too.

Some areas that could be improved:
    • Make the case a bit slimmer. I think the new case will be less rounded than the current one. Making it seem smaller than the current one, but keeping the internal space about the same.

• Firewire and USB ports on the front, maybe "hidden" below the front panel.

• A cool lcd/OLED front panel to display information about speed, temp or whatever fully customizable by the user. Never gonna happen, but would be very cool.

• Keep some sort of handle, but not the four corner ones. One fold-out handle on the top would be cool.

• New cool use of chrome, white, clear plastic and aluminum.

• Improve the cooling system. The case would be designed with best possible cooling in mind from the start with some sort of "cooling tunnel" from the bottom to the top. Making the air move in one direction avoiding the current case turbulence and hot air exhaust problems.

Can't think of more right now.

netro
  • Reply 57 of 80
    amorphamorph Posts: 7,112member
    OK, folks. Courtesy of As the Apple Turns, we now have confirmation of the look of the 970!

It involves... feathers.

Brightly colored feathers.

Lots and lots of brightly colored feathers.

No, I'm not kidding.

"IBM. Proud as a peacock!"

• Reply 58 of 80
    ensign pulverensign pulver Posts: 1,193member
    Beyond weird.
    Quote:

Originally posted by Amorph

OK, folks. Courtesy of As the Apple Turns, we now have confirmation of the look of the 970!

It involves... feathers.

Brightly colored feathers.

Lots and lots of brightly colored feathers.

No, I'm not kidding.

"IBM. Proud as a peacock!"

I just linked to this in the new 970 die photo thread

Beyond weird.
  • Reply 59 of 80
    thegeldingthegelding Posts: 3,230member
    great, so apple finally gets to the point where it thinks it can lose Moto and all that shat, and suddenly IBM loses it on us and wraps all of its new chips in feathered boas ...either the folks at IBM need to recheck their meds or they have been watching too much will and grace ....or they are just back from a lost weekend in vegas

with these girls....or are they guys??

g
  • Reply 60 of 80
    gargar Posts: 1,201member
    Quote:

Originally posted by thegelding

with these girls....or are they guys??

definitely guys; one of them drinks heineken and has a more than boring nokia 3410...

to be hip in the eu you neeeeeeeeeeeed a candy colored mobile phone and drink candy tasted breezers...

oh, wait, now i see it, that's the photographer's drink and mobile