Quick question about 12" PowerBook spanning...

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
Okay, I know it doesn't have DVI out, like the 15" and 17" models. What, exactly, does this mean? What does this limit the PowerBook to hooking to? I know you can't hook Apple's displays to it (I'll NEVER understand that one...), so that leaves you with the VGA analog stuff?

Are flat displays analog? Could I hook a Sony or ViewSonic or some other flat display to the 12" Powerbook?

I hate to sound stupid, but I've never quite understood this one little thing.

Also, would you think a future version of the 12" could have this feature, like its big brothers?

Just seems odd that the tiniest PowerBook in the lineup (which, at 12" and 1024x768) is BEGGING for compatibility with - let's face it - Apple's displays. Wouldn't you think Apple themselves might think they could sell a few more of their nice displays to 12" PowerBook customers?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 24
    matsumatsu Posts: 6,558member
    It's kinda weird. You can hook up to ANY CRT, and just about any/every projector ever made. You can also hook up to MOST LCD's. Many LCD's have VGA connectors, and the better models have both VGA and DVI connectors. Some, like Apple's, are only digital. If it's all digital, tht means that the signal arrives at your screen as 1's and 0's, and isn't coverted to color untill the last second. This generally results in better color, BUT, it is possible to get very good analogue color from an LCD, just that it costs more to make such a panel because good control circuitry costs. I've heard very nice things about the Sony 23" widescreen (1920x1200) and it's driven via VGA, for example. DVI is not a guarantee of a better display quality, but it should make it easier for manufacturers to supply better accuracy. Geometry and refresh, etc etc, don't matter in any case regardless of the LCD.

I've seen shitty analogue LCD's. The best way to describe the difference from DVI, or I should say the most obvious, is that the pixels tend to shimmer when there's a lot of movement. SOmeone told me this is the analogue circuitry not quite keeping/matching up with color changes, iDunno if that's true but it made sense when I heard it. I've also seen very good analogue LCD's that don't exhibit any averse characteristics for their connection. A lot also depends on the GFx card/color profile.

If you're worried about getting an analogue panel that won't migrate so easily to your next computer, get a model with dual VGA/DVI imput. NEC/Mitsu have them. You can't hook the lovely Apple displays, though. Unless you use an expensive adaptor.

That's all I know, hope it helps.
  • Reply 2 of 24
    leonisleonis Posts: 3,427member
    Go for Samsung

Never go NEC cause their customer service stinks
  • Reply 3 of 24
    gizzmonicgizzmonic Posts: 511member
    VGA will allow you to connect to many, many more displays than DVI right out of the box. Flat panels with analog VGA connectors aren't hard to find.

Congrads on a 12 inch powerbook purchase. I'm averse to laptops, but if I got one, that would definitely be it. It's an awesome machine...
  • Reply 4 of 24
    pscatespscates Posts: 5,847member
    I haven't bought one. I was just asking, for possible future info.

• Reply 5 of 24
    pbpb Posts: 4,255member
    Anyone having experience with the Formac displays on the 12" powerbook? I have heard that the VGA output of the geforce 420 is not that good, while the Formac displays seem nice in paper. Ineteresting to learn how the two combine.
  • Reply 6 of 24
    escherescher Posts: 1,811member
    Quote:

Originally posted by PB

Anyone having experience with the Formac displays on the 12" powerbook?

Try this thread on MacNN. Looks to me like the 12-inch PowerBook and Formac 1740 display make a perfect combo.

I'm still waiting for Rev.B (or now that I've upgraded the RAM on my iBook even Rev.C) of the 12-inch PowerBook.

Escher
  • Reply 7 of 24
    aquaticaquatic Posts: 5,602member
    Oooooooo Escher how you bare it! It must be hard resisting buying the 12"er.

Yep I can personally say not to buy NEC. My parents have one and even looking straight on, the borders look washed out as if it's an off-angle. It is analague.
  • Reply 8 of 24
    Quote:

Originally posted by Aquatic

Oooooooo Escher how you bare it! It must be hard resisting buying the 12"er.

It sure is! But I fear the wrath of my wife, who wants me to buy a new kitchen and new carpet for the bedrooms before I buy a toy for myself. It's tough to keep priorities straight, but I've gotten better at it as time has gone by. Who knows, at this rate I might have the patience to hold out for a PPC 970-powered 12-inch PowerBook!

Escher
  • Reply 9 of 24
    It's hard enough wearing shorts with it already! Boy I hope had children with your wife already because it might cook whatever you have left there! This thing is toasty!
  • Reply 10 of 24
    moliumoliu Posts: 42member
    Is there absolutely no way to change vga to adc via an external box?

Is there like a conversion piece of hardware that we can get to change vga to dvi to adc?
  • Reply 11 of 24
    Quote:

Originally posted by moliu

Is there absolutely no way to change vga to adc via an external box?

Of course there is: Gefen's VGA-to-ADC Conversion Box. But it costs $300, which isn't worth it for most.

Escher
  • Reply 12 of 24
    scottscott Posts: 7,431member
    Hey I got pics of my 12" PowerBook and a Sony 23" LCD. Who wants to post them for me?
  • Reply 13 of 24
    murbotmurbot Posts: 5,262member
    murbot at mac dot com

• Reply 14 of 24
    timotimo Posts: 353member
    I used to run an SGI (w/multilink) out of a PB VGA. Great picture.
  • Reply 15 of 24
    Quote:

Originally posted by Scott

Hey I got pics of my 12" PowerBook and a Sony 23" LCD. Who wants to post them for me?

Rock and roll, Scott! Hope you had a nice vacation. If murbot didn't already host them, I'd be happy to stick them on my .Mac account (escher [at] mac [dot] com).

BTW: Why is murbot now Earl, and Jonathan changed to some odd name too?

Escher
  • Reply 16 of 24
    thegeldingthegelding Posts: 3,230member
    Quote:

BTW: Why is murbot now Earl, and Jonathan changed to some odd name too?

drunken night of fun for the boys...most mod names where changed....some have changed back, some haven't

beer is fun

g
  • Reply 17 of 24
    I was just going to ask who this rude fellow was that was offering up ol' murbot's address.
  • Reply 18 of 24
    scottscott Posts: 7,431member
    Well sorry. Can't find the USB cable for the camera Maybe Sunday night.

Oh and Vacation was good. I think I eat about 2 pounds of lobster while in Portland.
  • Reply 19 of 24
    Quote:

Originally posted by Scott

Oh and Vacation was good. I think I eat about 2 pounds of lobster while in Portland.

Glad you had a good trip, Scott. Gotta love Maine lobster! It's on the menu every time I'm up there. Down here it's a bit too pricey, unfortunately.

You didn't run into Ryan Meader (of MOSR fame) while you were up in Portland, did you?

Thanks in advance for the pictures!

Escher

PS: You should get yourself a memory card reader (FireWire, if possible!) anyway.
  • Reply 20 of 24
    murbotmurbot Posts: 5,262member
    Scott's setup with 23" Sony LCD:

Click for full sized image.