Who's the best guitarist ever?

Comments

• Reply 61 of 117
    sammi josammi jo Posts: 4,634member
    Tool fan here too! Jones is fantastic

But...."best" guitarist....thats sort of meaningless...a bit like asking if Monet is "better" then van Gogh...or a rogan josh is "better" than a vindaloo.

Anyway my favs off the top of my head: re. jazz...I love Django Rheinhardt, Joe Pass, Tal Farlow, Les Paul, Adrian Legg, Michael Hedges, Al diMeola, ...

blues: Page, Clapton, Beck, SRV,

virtuoso: Allan Holdsworth (wow!), Vai, Johnson, Satriani, Malmsteen,

also: Thurston Moore, Lee Renaldo, Derek Bailey,

and one of my favs of all is Robert Fripp...I saw his band (king crimson) open for Tool last year in LA, fripp played sat on a tall stool in near darkness on one side of the stage and some of the stuff he was playing sounded humanly unplayable...well the whole band sounded as if they were from another planet anyway...and then Tool to follow...what a great show that was!

• Reply 62 of 117
    enaena Posts: 667member
    ...has anybody brought up Djelimady Tounkara?
  • Reply 63 of 117
    pfflampfflam Posts: 5,053member
    Quote:

Originally posted by superkarate monkeydeathcar

just to show you how subjective these kind of things are, lou reed's favorite guitar player is neil young.

he says neil plays with 100% emotion. [/B]

Neil is actually a very very good guitarist . . .

and here is where I agree with the poster who said its not about technique (though he is better than you think) he is a master of taking a form that would otherwise lead to boring modal noodling (read Cream Live) and building a poetic developing emotional story out of a long solo

I mean a solo over a basic three bar ground and he is able to make a long consistent growing emotional piece . . . .

That's also why Zappa is good . . . not just riffs and tricks but stanzas and lyrical development

and those who are not so sure about Hendrix have got to listen to stuff beyond the mainstream studio stuff . . . . find the obscure live recordings where he stretches out

its just not rock and roll or blues when he is at his best its EPIC music creation . . . . weltunshuangen gemsamtkunstwerk (sp?) - - heehee

and its definitely beyond mere technique . . . I mean he incorporates sloppiness and makes it a virtue towards deeper creations

or as Monk said "you gotta hit the wrong note right"
  • Reply 64 of 117
    I really like this one dude named Shane Barnard. It is Christian stuff, and he does 32nd note strumming with a mix of some nice riffs and all. But for sheer talent, Hendrix, Van Halen, etc. (There are many others, but those are some of the main ones)

***EDIT!!!!***

Gotta add Tony Rice!

I know that some of my decisions are based on personal preference over simply skill, but when it all comes down to it, doesn't personal preference rely a lot on skill? Which is also opinion as well.
  • Reply 65 of 117
    netromacnetromac Posts: 863member
    Quote:

Originally posted by sammi jo

But...."best" guitarist....thats sort of meaningless...a bit like asking if Monet is "better" then van Gogh...or a rogan josh is "better" than a vindaloo.

I agree. There are so many good guitarists that plays many different styles, and it's hard to compare apples with oranges here. Should have divided ti into groups, like best metal guitarist, best rock guitarist, best classical guitarist and so on. Would have made more sense that way.

So here's a few of my favourite guitarists in no particular order:

Hendrix, Clapton, Page, Vai, Satriani, Reynolds, Gilmour, Nuno , Betts, Townsend, Emmanuel, Jim Martin, Petrucci, Romeo, Malmsteen, Paul Gilbert, Stevie Ray Vaughan, Dave Murray, Zappa, Chet Atkins, Mark Knofler, John McClaughlin, Johnny Winter, Billy Joe Armstong, Muddy Waters, John Lee Hooker, Brian May, Hank Marvin, Gary Moore, BB King, Albert King, Ben Harper, Randy Rhodes, Walter Rossi, Robin Trower and many many more.
  • Reply 66 of 117
    Quote:

Originally posted by pfflam

or as Monk said "you gotta hit the wrong note right"

pfflam quoting monk! goddam! my youngest son's middle name is thelonious.

i won't go as far to say neil is technically gifted, but i will agree with lou, he's got a lot of feeling in his solos. he's epileptic you know. i think that may have influenced his playing somehow.
  • Reply 67 of 117
    pscatespscates Posts: 5,847member
    Why, Brian Setzer, of course! AND he gets extra points for the hair and tattoos!

And Mark Knopfler. Great stuff and a total stylist.

I also like Elliot Easton (best thing in The Cars). Great hooks, solos, fills, etc. Played for the SONG, not an easy thing to do with some people.

• Reply 68 of 117
    moogsmoogs Posts: 4,296member
    Quote:

trevor rabin

I forgot about good ole Joe Satriani. You could put him clearly under the "amazing riffs / speed merchant" category, but he's damn good either way.

Gilmour had some brilliant stuff as well though I don't think of him as "a great guitarist" in the purest sense if you know what I'm saying. I love Floyd though. They're the greatest EVAR!
  • Reply 69 of 117
    ast3r3xast3r3x Posts: 5,012member
    is trey really that good as a solo guitarist? i had no idea, any songs i can sample?

ok how about this...get the best song you know by who u think is the best guitarist and we'll upload them somewhere (perhaps i can host them) and we will then compare

i might be able to host on one of my ftp sites, we'll see how it goes...we could just use iTunes streaming
  • Reply 70 of 117
    Another vote for Wes Montgomery

But also in the jazz world: Pat Martino, John Scofield, John Abercrombie to name a few.

In the rock/pop world: That guy who plays on Steely Dan Alive in America. Best rock/pop guitar solos in the world IMHO.
  • Reply 71 of 117
    enaena Posts: 667member
    Quote:

Originally posted by ast3r3x

is trey really that good as a solo guitarist? i had no idea, any songs i can sample?

ok how about this...get the best song you know by who u think is the best guitarist and we'll upload them somewhere (perhaps i can host them) and we will then compare

i might be able to host on one of my ftp sites, we'll see how it goes...we could just use iTunes streaming

If you can get your hands on 9012Live: The Solos there is a fairly decent solo on side 2.

It's been awhile but I remember being impressed---but then again it might have been the Mexican Red Hair.
  • Reply 72 of 117
    madmax559madmax559 Posts: 596member
    anyone else a slash fan ? apart from me

he is an amazing guitar player
  • Reply 73 of 117
    trebuchettrebuchet Posts: 176member
    Billy Gibbons - ZZ Top

Greg Ginn - Black Flag

Frank Zappa

Spencer Seim - Hella (must be heard to be believed)

Charlie Hunter - Charlie Hunter Trio/Quartet (hello, 8 strings and simultaneous basslines and guitar melodies)

As for Tom Morello: All I can say is Digitech Whammy Pedal. He's been milking that thing since album one. I'm not saying he's bad or anything, but his schtick is old.
  • Reply 74 of 117
    sammi josammi jo Posts: 4,634member
    Has anyone heard the California Guitar Trio? I saw them a year or so back. These guys are all guitar virtuosos and play every imaginable style of music in their set...from bluegrass to country to metal to classical to jazz to free improvisation and more...for encores they played these superb versions of Beethovens 9th Symphony (!) and Queen's "Bohemian Rhapsody"...covering all the parts with just 3 acoustic guitars...really fantastic!
  • Reply 75 of 117
    moogsmoogs Posts: 4,296member
    Billy... Gibbons..?

Remember: this isn't "which guitarist do you think sounds really cool?" This is "the greatest guitarist ever." Remember that Eric Clapton smak-fu I put down a few post back? Well Billy Gibbons couldn't carry Eric Clapton's tiny jock -- and Eric's not even invited as far as Pfflam and I are concerned.

Kidding. Billy Gibbons really is not a great guitarist though, even though I like some ZZ as much as the next red-blooded American.
  • Reply 76 of 117
    trebuchettrebuchet Posts: 176member
    Hahahaha... you had me going for a second. Its all opinion anyways. I think all of the jack-off guitarists like Satriani and Vai blow, but I'm not into tech/soulless flailing that they are experts at.

Gimme Billy's pinch harmonics anyday!

If I listed the guitarists I listened to on a daily basis, no one would know who they are...
  • Reply 77 of 117
    Quote:

Originally posted by trebuchet

Hahahaha... you had me going for a second. Its all opinion anyways. I think all of the jack-off guitarists like Satriani and Vai blow, but I'm not into tech/soulless flailing that they are experts at.

If I listed the guitarists I listened to on a daily basis, no one would know who they are...

give us a try
  • Reply 78 of 117
    bungebunge Posts: 7,329member
    Quote:

I doubt you are correct.
  • Reply 79 of 117
    pfflampfflam Posts: 5,053member
    Quote:

Often people imagine themselves the elite while standing amidst the MASTERS!!!! . . . .
  • Reply 80 of 117
    ast3r3xast3r3x Posts: 5,012member
    keller williams is really good...though i dont think i can put him up with all of these guys, K-Dub is just good at awesoem guitar with effects