Gestural Interface

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
The movies Minority Report and Matrix : Reloaded both use a "gestural" computer interface; removing the mouse from the equation altogether and using the most natural interace of all: fingers.

I almost always use my Wacom tablet with my iBook these days, finding a pen the most natural interface for me. As touchscreen technology is getting better and more reliable, and as GPU's get faster, it's entirely plausible that SOME company will revisit the desktop that lead to today's mouse-driven environment.

Just just never know...

(not really future hardware or current software, mostly theoretical discussion)

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    xmogerxmoger Posts: 242member
    I've spent a few months developing something similar in my spare time. I'm aiming for 2 USB webcams tracking 1 hand through arbitrary orientations in about a 1 cubic foot space. These design limitations are just based on availability & cost of webcams. Something more sophisticated could use gloves with transponders(like minority report) and radio sensors.

Resolution with cameras is problem, as well as shadows. Not to mention the bandwidth and cpu costs of image analysis at a decent framerate. Fortunately the current algorithm I'm using is scalable with faster machines. It can currently track fingers at a few inches/sec under diffused lighting.

The matrix UI was more like a big touchscreen display. This would be pretty easy to implement. Maybe with lots of smudges on the screen though.

None of these are silver bullets though. It's a pain to type a letter with the minority report gloves and difficult to sculpt shapes in 3D Studio with a keyboard.
  • Reply 2 of 6
    ast3r3xast3r3x Posts: 5,012member
    remember MS did this and showed it off just a couple weeks ago?
  • Reply 3 of 6
    scottscott Posts: 7,431member
    xmoger you ever think of using a glove, maybe white with a black finger fit. Something high contrast to track. The other option is an IR camera system with a reflective marker. OR an IR LED.
  • Reply 4 of 6
    airslufairsluf Posts: 1,861member
  • Reply 5 of 6
    buonrottobuonrotto Posts: 6,368member
  • Reply 6 of 6
    alpha macalpha mac Posts: 463member
    I'm thinking bout geting one of these,