The dreaded spinning color wheel

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
As a long-time OS 9 and now new OS X user, I have only one complaint: the dreaded spinning color wheel that appears when something goes slightly wrong while browsing. It may be that a page only partially loads and then locks up, and usually it just spins for a few seconds and then goes away and all is well.

But sometimes it just keeps spinning, and there's nothing I can do short of a force quit of Explorer. In OS 9, there was never anything like this: with the old spinning cursor, you could always just hit "stop" and then refresh the page, or move on to another one.

What can I do the next time I get the dreaded spinning color wheel, and don't want to stare at it for 3 minutes?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    123123 Posts: 278member
    Quote:

Originally posted by grimson

As a long-time OS 9 and now new OS X user, I have only one complaint: the dreaded spinning color wheel that appears when something goes slightly wrong while browsing. It may be that a page only partially loads and then locks up, and usually it just spins for a few seconds and then goes away and all is well.

But sometimes it just keeps spinning, and there's nothing I can do short of a force quit of Explorer. In OS 9, there was never anything like this: with the old spinning cursor, you could always just hit "stop" and then refresh the page, or move on to another one.

What can I do the next time I get the dreaded spinning color wheel, and don't want to stare at it for 3 minutes?

Use another browser (e.g. Safari)
  • Reply 2 of 5
    paulpaul Posts: 5,278member
    really... IE is crap... im surprised you haven't used alternatives! That was one of the major selling points to me for X...

checkout safari and OmniWeb... they both have spellcheck as you type built in (like microsoft word) very convenient. Also you can block popups and banner ads without obscuring content, not to mention the great speed and stability improvements over IE. Check them out!
  • Reply 3 of 5
    scottscott Posts: 7,431member
    My Finder is doing that right now. It choked on a movie file that QT can't handle. Been spinning for about 20 minutes now.
  • Reply 4 of 5
    grimsongrimson Posts: 108member
    I'll try safari. Although, for the record, I HATE that built-in spell corrector feature of Word. Sometimes I'm intentionally trying to spell something 'wrong' (slang, for instance) and it won't let me do it the first time.
  • Reply 5 of 5
    scottscott Posts: 7,431member
    Well that's not how Safari works so you'll like it.