I hate Tony Blair. I hate him, I hate him, I hate him.

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
I've taken it all rather personally.

Blair took Britian into a war that the majority of the nation he leads didn't want. More people were opposed to the war than voted for him in the last election. His Foreign Secretary, who must have been privy to the same intelligence as he, resigned before the war started saying that there wasn't enough evidence to warrant it. It was Tony Blair's war; even his own cabinet were jittery. But he's replaced cabinet government with presidential diktat, being an awful control freak, and the counter-arguments weren't even heard.

I saw him on TV telling the British troops that this war had been a 'a defining moment in history,' and he the sense of gruesome self-satisfaction was tangible. He's genuinely more into securing himself a place in history then serious, reasoned political decision-making. He is a revoltingly vain man.

He made a famous speech about Africa being a scar on the conscience of the world. But instead of stamping out polio, pushing to get international debts dropped, fighting Dick Cheney's decision to prevent American pharmaceutical companies to waiving patents to allow African states to manufacture generic drugs to fight the effects of AIDS, typhus, TB and malaria (WHAT IS IT WITH HIM AND GEORGE BUSH?) and any of the million things he could have done, he's sat on his arse. Famine can be avoided. AIDS can be fought. It isn't impossible.

Britain stands to lose manufacturing jobs to Europe because we won't join the Euro. With Britain in the Eurozone, that's one hell of a strong economy right there. But he won't do it because he doesn't want to piss off Middle England (although he's prepared to sacrfice their sons for a war that didn't need to be fought) and he doesn't want to piss off America. (WHAT IS IT WITH HIM AND GEORGE BUSH?)

He ran as a reforming liberal and turned out to be as right wing as Mrs Thatcher and the current American President. He promised so much change for the world and for the country in which I live and he turned out to be just another politician.

He lied to us, he demonstrably lied to us, to get us into a war. He's a smug, arrogant image-obsessed dickhead who lied to us, and who won't listen to anyone.

**** him and his ghoulish wife.

Discuss.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 86
    ghost_user_nameghost_user_name Posts: 22,667member
    You only hate him because he got the congressional medal you anti-american pinko liberal appeaser [/Scottmode]
  • Reply 2 of 86
    aquafireaquafire Posts: 2,758member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Hassan i Sabbah

I've taken it all rather personally.

Gee, I've got an Idea...Don't vote for him next time.
  • Reply 3 of 86
    Quote:

Originally posted by aquafire

Gee, I've got an Idea...Don't vote for him next time.

I won't.

But allow me, perhaps, to give this thread a little focus.

How is Tony Blair perceived in continental Europe and America? Americans love him (I understand) but what do they think of him in Europe? Is he a sell-out sack of shit who doesn't give a stuff about the people who voted for him, or is he

imagination fails me when it comes to the alternative
  • Reply 4 of 86
    aquafireaquafire Posts: 2,758member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Hassan i Sabbah

I won't.

But allow me, perhaps, to give this thread a little focus.

How is Tony Blair perceived in continental Europe and America? Americans love him (I understand) but what do they think of him in Europe? Is he a sell-out sack of shit who doesn't give a stuff about the people who voted for him, or is he

imagination fails me when it comes to the alternative

Tony will win the next election by a country mile for exactly the reasons you hate him..

Most of your compatriots still don't trust " Continentals " or didn't you ever see the " Yes Minister " & " Yes Prime Minister " TV comedy series ? Timeless reflections of English politics...

As for America...

It's a case of

" Kiss the tooch of Dubbya Bush "
  • Reply 5 of 86
    kelibkelib Posts: 740member
    Do the Brits have an alternative to Tony Blair? Iain Duncan Smith??? I don't think so. If you wanna get rid of Tony the Labour Party must get him out and I can't see that happening any time soon.
  • Reply 6 of 86
    Whats the state of the liberals right now? This could be the chance for a third party.
  • Reply 7 of 86
    alcimedesalcimedes Posts: 5,486member
    another possibility. you may lose jobs due to Euro issues, but how many contracts do you think English companies will win from American firms now?

i know that a fair number of companies in France and Germany were losing contracts that they would have won not 6 months ago. nice opportunity for England.
  • Reply 8 of 86
    gardnerjgardnerj Posts: 167member
    I only really started paying attention to our politics in the last 3 years or so ... but the feeling of frustration is acurately portrayed above. Unfortunately there is no viable opposition available in the uk. The lib dems will beat the conservatives but won't be able to touch Labour.

I think the problem is that the British electorate has finally realised that it doesn't really matter who's in charge as the spin/lies and incompetence will continue regardless.

It's part of the reason i'm trying to emigrate to Australia...

Oh that and to stalk the Minogue sisters ...
  • Reply 9 of 86
    enaena Posts: 667member
    So Dr. Evil is after Iraq's oil as well---and loves debt ridden, polio infested countries that are being brutally raped by the American imperialist drug companies (that we all know have no R&D or operating costs)?

What is this world coming to?

• Reply 10 of 86
    Fück that queen elizabeth bitch or whatever her name is. Robin Cook and Clare Short for the new royal couple to rule all of Britania! Hip hip hooray! Now, let's go throw some rocks through the windows of a McDonald's.

Btw, who has hte figures on Eurozone and UK economic growth from 99 on?

Now here's how we solve this. We'll swap George for Tony, and then we'll be better off and you can have someone truly worthy of your hate. Then you can take a nap. And here's a nice soothing floscous picture to make you feel better as well. http://www.wolverinealmanac.com/floscous.jpg
  • Reply 11 of 86
    groveratgroverat Posts: 10,872member
    If you don't want Africa to starve lift your inane ban on GM foods. BLAME AMERICA! BLAME AMERICA!

Why won't our leaders stop the American menace?! WOE IS US!

It's your godforsaken continent that ****ed Africa up so badly in the first place. What happened to the "you broke it, you fix it!" attitude that's shoved at the US re: Iraq?

And you wonder why the US views itself as the World Police and World Mommy. Christ.

Quote:

How is Tony Blair perceived in continental Europe and America? Americans love him (I understand) but what do they think of him in Europe?

I can't speak for anyone else, but I like Blair because he isn't the colossal ****up our last two presidents have been. He can actually form a thought and express it verbally while sounding intelligent without a prepared statement in front of him. And also, he's not a morally bankrupt lying sack of hillbilly shit. So, those two perceptions make him quite attractive as a leader.

That and he had the nutsack to stand up for what he thought was the right thing to do when it would've been far easier to cow before the towering rage that threatened his career, and does even today. Being buddy-buddy with the US prez (he was great friends with Clinton, too, it's not about GeeDub) doesn't get you very far when you don't hold office in your own country.

He's not my leader and the UK isn't my country so I have no idea what the "truth" of it is, if there really is one.
  • Reply 12 of 86
    Quote:

Originally posted by groverat

If you don't want Africa to starve lift your inane ban on GM foods.

So how would lifting bans on GM food in europe give africa more to eat
  • Reply 13 of 86
    africa won't import, grow or accept any kind of GM foods, because if they do they'll be unable to export to most, if not all European nations.
  • Reply 14 of 86
    groveratgroverat Posts: 10,872member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Anders the White

So how would lifting bans on GM food in europe give africa more to eat

Because the reason the ban is in place in so many African countries is because Europe would stop buying food from Africa, especially specialty crops that might be "contaminated" by imported GM food (see: EU ban on GM food).

click

The US, the largest donor to the crisis affecting more than 14 million people in six countries, has offered more than $266m (£180m) of GM maize to southern Africa through the UN World Food Programme.

"We offered non-GM foods but they all declined to accept it. We would have preferred to send non-GM wheat, or rice but they only wanted maize. We tried to source non-GM maize but the industry said they could not guarantee that it was GM-free." - Andrew Natsios, the head of the US agency for international development (USAid)

People who seem to know a hell of a lot about what's wrong with America sure do go blind when looking around their own backyard.
  • Reply 15 of 86
    Quote:

Originally posted by alcimedes

africa won't import, grow or accept any kind of GM foods, because if they do they'll be unable to export to most, if not all European nations.

Wasn´t the idea that africa should be able to feed itself?

There is enough problems now when the most fertile soil of africa is being used for export goods (and the income not being used for the general populations good). This is a clear example of free trade without strong local regulation is bad for the poorest in an uneven trading figuration (The problem being the lack of local regulation)
  • Reply 16 of 86
    chinneychinney Posts: 1,019member
    GM foods, even if allowed, will not help feed Africa. Most African farmers cannot afford to buy the seed. Further companies that manufacture GM seeds specifically forbid farmers from saving seed from this year's crop to seed next year's crop. (They enforce this rigourously.) Reseeding (rather than butying new seed each year) is, however, the standard practice in Africa and is the only thing most African farmers can afford.

Further, most current GM foods are designed spefically for farming practices common in North America, but not necessarily used by small farmers in Africa (for example, by giving resistance to specific pesticides that many African farmers also cannot afford.)

At the most GM foods may be useful for large-scale farms in Africa that grow food for export. These farms, however, are usually owned and controlled by the corrupt ruling elites of these countries, and do little or nothing to feed ordinary Africans, either directly and indirectly.
  • Reply 17 of 86
    actually, in the most recent case millions of people were starving. the food had already been grown and harvested. we were willing to ship it over to them so they'd have something to eat, but they wouldn't accept it because it was GM.
  • Reply 18 of 86
    chinneychinney Posts: 1,019member
    Quote:

Originally posted by alcimedes

actually, in the most recent case millions of people were starving. the food had already been grown and harvested. we were willing to ship it over to them so they'd have something to eat, but they wouldn't accept it because it was GM.

Acknowledged. However, this is a different point than what I was addressing. Emergency shipments aside, real help for starvation in Africa must come from farming and other economic development within Africa. GM foods are not likely to help Africa very much in this regard.
  • Reply 19 of 86
    haraldharald Posts: 2,152member
    Quote:

Originally posted by groverat

If you don't want Africa to starve lift your inane ban on GM foods. BLAME AMERICA! BLAME AMERICA!

Why won't our leaders stop the American menace?! WOE IS US!

You seriously, SERIOUSLY need to get over yourself. Mel-o-drama.

ONE sentence out of all the above was about the US, and you can't knock the factual accuracy that the BigPharm successfully put patents before patients in the case of generic AIDS drugs. One sentence.

The rant was about the UK, not the very tedious subject you wish it was about.

The rant was about something different to your histrionics.
  • Reply 20 of 86
    El Presidente Blair is in fact MARGARET THATCHER!!!!!! Just like in ScoobyDoo if you peel off the rubber mask the evil M. Thatch. is lurking beneath!

I hate him/her...... evil......Evil......EVIL!!!!