Calling UK NTL Broadband users again - problems!

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
OK, so I didn't listen to the one guy who said NTL were useless and went ahead and ordered NTL Broadband for use with my CRT iMac.

Part 1 of the installation was great, with the Ethernet cable going into the Mac I can surf to my heart's content.

Problem is Airport. It doesn't work! Being more specific: the iMac recognises there is a base station there - the signal meter is almost 100%. I can even configure the BS, change a few settings.

But, I have not once actually loaded a web page over it. Using the utility Configure AIrport, and going to the Internet Tab, there appears to be a box where I'm supposed to type in the MAC address of the BS. However, the moment I type that in the iMac no longer recognises the BS. MY only solution is to reset the BS via the reset button.

Now, NTL won't help as they say they don't support wireless connections, and Apple won't help as they say since the iMac does recognise the BS it must be NTLs problem!

Anybody out there with any ideas for me?

Cheers!

David

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    messiahmessiah Posts: 1,689member
    Quote:

Originally posted by iMac David

OK, so I didn't listen to the one guy who said NTL were useless and went ahead and ordered NTL Broadband for use with my CRT iMac.

Part 1 of the installation was great, with the Ethernet cable going into the Mac I can surf to my heart's content.

Problem is Airport. It doesn't work! Being more specific: the iMac recognises there is a base station there - the signal meter is almost 100%. I can even configure the BS, change a few settings.

But, I have not once actually loaded a web page over it. Using the utility Configure AIrport, and going to the Internet Tab, there appears to be a box where I'm supposed to type in the MAC address of the BS. However, the moment I type that in the iMac no longer recognises the BS. MY only solution is to reset the BS via the reset button.

Now, NTL won't help as they say they don't support wireless connections, and Apple won't help as they say since the iMac does recognise the BS it must be NTLs problem!

Anybody out there with any ideas for me?

Cheers!

David

Are you running OS X, or OS 9?
  • Reply 2 of 3
    imac davidimac david Posts: 286member
    OS X.

Please don't tell me that's the problem?!?!

David
  • Reply 3 of 3
    messiahmessiah Posts: 1,689member
    Quote:

Originally posted by iMac David

OS X.

Please don't tell me that's the problem?!?!

David

No, I'm just a little more familiar with it, that's all!

I couldn't get it [Airport] to work at all when I first started using it. The I realised that the OS doesn't switch over automatically, and you have to dig through your network/internet settings to make sure it's switched over to Airport, and is using it to access the internet.

I had the standard NTL cable modem connected straight to the Airport Extreme base station, and it work flawlessly for me. I have a 1MB line.