Sunglasses Etiquette

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
There was a time when people didn't have sunglasses. so this wasn't an issue..but I note with some annoyance how many people think it is OK to keep dark / mirror sunglasses on while talking to someone ....face to face..

I find it irritating that I can't see the person's eyes.

I have had occasions where I have actually asked people to take their sunglasses off so that I could continue speaking to them on equal terms..

Eye contact is important in most cultures. It is a guage of honesty, attraction etc.etc.

Maybe I am way off beam here, but I find it very rude to speak to someone while wearing sunglasses, unless both a wearing them or one or the other of them is Blind.

So does anyone else find this custom annoying?

Ps

And as for those who must wear sunglasses in a movie houses, restaraunts etc...!

What's next? ..... sunglasses when having a shower...Puh-Leeze.....

8)

Comments

• Reply 1 of 17
    ghost_user_nameghost_user_name Posts: 22,667member
    The Matrix effect?

Speaking about sunglasses. Am I the only one HATING with a passion the sunwear fasion as it has been for the last couple of years? Glasses like these:

• Reply 2 of 17
    gardnerjgardnerj Posts: 167member
    I blame Tom Cruise in Risky Business...
  • Reply 3 of 17
    thuh freakthuh freak Posts: 2,664member
    i dont wear em too often, cuz i never find a pair that i like, but i didn't realize that it could bother somebody. when i do wear them, i have them on so long that i forget about them. like at school, i'd put em on, walk to class, sleep, walk back, and then chill at my computer for a while, not noticing till later that i'd had them on all along. when i was blazed, they of course had to be on for safety, despite the fact that i was well aware of them.
  • Reply 4 of 17
    burningwheelburningwheel Posts: 1,827member
    Quote:

Originally posted by aquafire

There was a time when people didn't have sunglasses. so this wasn't an issue..but I note with some annoyance how many people think it is OK to keep dark / mirror sunglasses on while talking to someone ....face to face..

I have had occasions where I have actually asked people to take their sunglasses off so that I could continue speaking to them on equal terms..

Eye contact is important in most cultures. It is a guage of honesty, attraction etc.etc.

Maybe I am way off beam here, but I find it very rude to speak to someone while wearing sunglasses, unless both a wearing them or one or the other of them is Blind.

Ps

And as for those who must wear sunglasses in a movie houses, restaraunts etc...!

8)

i probably agree with you. i definately agree with about wearing them indoors. i just don't understand this AT ALL. while working out a few weeks ago, there was this women there who was holding her sunglases when she entered the building, but then when she walked through the exercise equipment room, she put them on. i think she took them off when she got into the aerobics room, but it was weird. one women even said to her later, i saw you sneak in here with your sunglasses. people are strange
  • Reply 5 of 17
    spotcatbugspotcatbug Posts: 195member
    I always take off my sunglasses when I talk to somebody face-to-face. Very rarely I'll have been wearing them for so long (if I've been outside all day on a sunny day, for example), that I forget I'm wearing them. In that case, I may not remember to remove them. I think it's very rude not to remove your sunglasses when speaking with somebody face-to-face; however, I'll risk accidentally being rude (very rarely) to keep from getting headaches from the sun.
  • Reply 6 of 17
    fred_ljfred_lj Posts: 607member
    Quote:

Originally posted by spotcatbug

I'll risk accidentally being rude (very rarely) to keep from getting headaches from the sun.

Yeah, I think you've got a point there; I know a lot of people that use them as part of their hangover-regimen, even had a prof like that this year. She'd turn down the lights as soon as she got into the room every morning (and the class was at 10, heh).
  • Reply 7 of 17
    giaguaragiaguara Posts: 2,724member
    i have chronically huge pupils. so the sun hurts often. so i wear the sunglasses when that happens, and other motives for wearing them are i feel less observed (or more protrected, like when wearing normal glasses), or i didn't have enough time to do even a quick make-up in the morning.

i hate those fashion ones, and especially when in weird colors. i go for black and plain.
  • Reply 8 of 17
    bungebunge Posts: 7,329member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Giaguara

i have chronically huge pupils.

LSD can have that effect.
  • Reply 9 of 17
    aquafireaquafire Posts: 2,758member
    You all give me reason for hope...

Ultimate definition of pretension.....?

Those that wear sunglasses while inside..Like they're all hollywood types...

I laugh imagining them F...cking while wearing sunglasses..what a joke..

Hey maybe people should be alllowed to wear their dark sunglasses while posing for their drivers licence..

Aka the Veil.....
  • Reply 10 of 17
    aquaticaquatic Posts: 5,602member
    How else can you get away with checking people out easily? 8)

Yeah I that style too and it is intimaditing if you can't see their eyes but hey if they're blazed maybe you don't want to! They'll look better with them on.
  • Reply 11 of 17
    jonathanjonathan Posts: 312member
    i take them off as soon as i enter a building or am speaking to someone i care to speak to. otherwise, they stay on.

this is excepted when I want to look like an asshole at a party. Oversized novelty chromed aviators are acceptable when it's really dark.
  • Reply 12 of 17
    giaguaragiaguara Posts: 2,724member
    Quote:

Originally posted by bunge

LSD can have that effect.

that and coca or ampetamine or all of them were what they were seeing me to be using since i was like 10. since those old fat believers of weird clans (religions) were roaming at the elemntary schools showing the transparencies like "if she/he uses this and that, they are like this and that". so huge pupils, hyperactive, 2 hours of sleep per night, never eating anything (or at least normal), drinking a lot of strong coffee and laughing for weird subjects, the 10 years old kids seeing those freakin' transparencies looked at me instead of asking whether the person talking had a serious mental problem in whatever (s)he bleived in (ot the substance s/he had used before had had a really bad effect on the brain) and believed i used all that crap... i have forgotten the latin name for the chronic enlarged pupils but it sounds better than just saying it in english.

but - whenever i remember, i take away my sunglesses in the customs and in hte passport control at the airports. it just so much makes me have trouble.
  • Reply 13 of 17
    jrcjrc Posts: 817member
    Quote:

Originally posted by aquafire

Ps

8)

I hate making eye contact.
  • Reply 14 of 17
    aquafireaquafire Posts: 2,758member
    Quote:

Originally posted by JRC

I hate making eye contact.

Spooky JRC...I noted this was your 666 post ..eerie..

don't like eye contact....
  • Reply 15 of 17
    fangornfangorn Posts: 323member
    I wear prescription glasses, including my sunglasses. I try to remember to take my regular glasses with me, but if I am just running inside for a moment, I have been known to leave my sunglasses on. It can be quite awkward if I find myself in a conversation with only my sunglasses. Taking them off might make the other person feel better, but I am EXTREMELY nearsighted and, well, I like to see the person I'm talking to as well. I don't know how justified an excuse that is. Like I said, I do try to avoid it.
  • Reply 16 of 17
    resres Posts: 711member
    I also wear prescription sunglasses and even when I have my regular glasses with me I will keep the sunglasses on -- unless I'm going to be in a dark area long period of time (it is a just pain switching back and forth between them).
  • Reply 17 of 17
    wrong robotwrong robot Posts: 3,907member
    I have yet to find a pair of sunglasses that look good on me.

So I never really think about them much, there is this one cat I know, he always wears these really obnoxious yellowish/orange sunglasses, that are mirrors, they have a silver rim to, so they just are the most annoying thing when you are trying to talk to him. But I've kind of gotten used to it, so I guess I don't mind as much anymore.