IT Pros STILL Don't Know OS X Exists

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
I was in a huge corporate meeting/WebEx/Conference call thing today regarding corporate spam and virus protection. The host was a engineer from Trends Micro. They talked for 6 hours about Windows 2k, Linux and Solaris servers, and Win 2k desktop protection. I asked if they will ever make any Mac OS X Server and OS X desktop protection solutions and they paused, and then said "No." I could hear the engineers in the background whispering "Hey, doesn't Apple make some kind of Linux dirivative now?".

It's frustrating...

Comments

• Reply 1 of 99
    scottscott Posts: 7,431member
    Typical. Not sure I care right now. Apple's done little to grow it's corporate share.
  • Reply 2 of 99
    chinneychinney Posts: 1,019member
    This has been my experience as well, but in a completely different context. Of those whom I have had a chance to ask, none of the (fairly large) IT team who work on our computers at the office was even aware that Apple had released a fundamentally new OS. And I point out, for example, that it is UNIX-based, and they say "cool...it must be pretty stable then". Yup, but where have you been?
  • Reply 2 of 99
    Then why didn't you speak up or at least mention that OSX is built on FreeBSD and offers the same level of stability and protection as most other breeds of Unix?

Or was it just not your place to do so?
  • Reply 4 of 99
    dstranathandstranathan Posts: 1,717member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Brad

Then why didn't you speak up or at least mention that OSX is built on FreeBSD and offers the same level of stability and protection as most other breeds of Unix?

Or was it just not your place to do so?

I did say this:

"OS X is based on FreeBSD 4.4 with the Mach micro kernel. It contains lots of POSIX-compliant frameworks and is very easy to code for, escpeically if you already have Solaris and Linux source. Apple provieds OS X with UNIX staples such as Samba, BIND,SQL, FTP, Apache, Sendmail, PHP, Java, all the major shells. Apple even has an implementation of X Windows out now..."
  • Reply 5 of 99
    netromacnetromac Posts: 863member
    And what was their answer?
  • Reply 6 of 99
    Funy side note:

I looked at the Micro Trends Server suite in Win 2k and the tops of most of the admin control panes look like OS X! LOL. They have thinn white ("snow") lines and soft grey floating text that screams APPLE. How ironic.
  • Reply 7 of 99
    amorphamorph Posts: 7,112member
    Quote:

Originally posted by NETROMac

And what was their answer?

*pause*

.oO( We'll have to keep that shut firmly out of our customers' businesses or they won't need our services! )

"Hmm. Well, as I was saying, it's possible to secure Windows 2000 against viruses if you yadda yadda yadda...."
  • Reply 8 of 99
    thunderpoitthunderpoit Posts: 709member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Amorph

*pause*

.oO( We'll have to keep that shut firmly out of our customers' businesses or they won't need our services! )

"Hmm. Well, as I was saying, it's possible to secure Windows 2000 against viruses if you ...."

...unplug it, lock it in a closet, and buy an xserve for your server needs
  • Reply 9 of 99
    bartobarto Posts: 2,246member
    If they don't know about Mac OS X, then they arn't pros.

The only other option (which I am sad to say I have encountered) is that they do know about Macs, but try their best to keep them out of their workplace. This is because they're afraid their skills will be made redundant and they will be sacked.

Barto
  • Reply 10 of 99
    1seaside11seaside1 Posts: 74member
    I'm surprised Trends Micro didn't say anything. I read somewhere that they use mostly Mac's.
  • Reply 11 of 99
    junkyard dawgjunkyard dawg Posts: 2,801member
    IT Dork #1: Did you hear about Intertrode?

IT Dork #2: No, man, what about 'em?

IT Dork #1: A new VP was hired in and he switched the entire corporate HQ over to Macs running OS X--EVEN THE SERVERS ARE RUNNING OS X!

IT Dork #2: Yeah, the guy's an idiot...so?

IT Dork #1: After the switchover was complete...he FIRED the entire IT staff except for 3 Mac guys!

IT Dork #2: (crapping his pants) No way!

IT Dork #1: Way!
  • Reply 12 of 99
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,419member
    Of course no one knows about OSX

You can't swing a dead cat without hitting 4 Microsoft Certified Professionals. Certification is beautiful because for most participants it creates mindless drones who push the product they're Certified in and act like nothing else exists.

Apple has a Certification Process now but it's on Training Wheels. They need to beef it up if they plan to make any moves into IT/Enterprise.
  • Reply 13 of 99
    dobbydobby Posts: 797member
    Most Corporate IT's have heard about Apple.

At my previous job, our Apple gurus tried to push OS X in a big way. A single problem hindered rolling out Mac to PC for over 3000 Staff members.

You can't get your password to expire after 30 days!

Doesn't work with (Open)LDAP nor does it work when you synch against NT servers.

We even had a couple of Apple engineers you said they could write a special login for us.

Mangement refused as they said it should be part of the standard OS.

Apple doesn't want to move into the corporate business or it would have built some basic login security.

Even System V had more login security than Mac!

Dobby.
  • Reply 14 of 99
    stoostoo Posts: 1,490member
    Quote:

Certification is beautiful because for most participants it creates mindless drones who push the product they're Certified in and act like nothing else exists.

It's called pragmatism .
  • Reply 15 of 99
    Yeah, and you can bypass the password-protected screensaver pretty easily too. Apple's still working on that part.

WWDC '03 has a huge IT track, though, and between that and their steadily evolving Windows network compatibility I think we'll see those sorts of features soon.

You can bet that Apple higher-ups heard about the 3000-Macs-but-for-login-expiration snafu.

I'm just envious that you were in a company that even got that far as far as Macs go. Here you might as well try convincing people to buy Wang.
  • Reply 16 of 99
    thunderpoitthunderpoit Posts: 709member
    Quote:

Yeah, and you can bypass the password-protected screensaver pretty easily too. Apple's still working on that part.

umm, how does one easiy bypass them? hitting esc or clicking cancel on the pw. window hasnt worked for a while...
  • Reply 17 of 99
    Quote:

How? Enlighten us please. ;0)
  • Reply 18 of 99
    Quote:

Originally posted by dstranathan

How? Enlighten us please. ;0)

How about I eat crow instead?

The buggers seem to have fixed the problem, and I know they did it just to spite me, too.
  • Reply 19 of 99
    jonathanjonathan Posts: 312member
    someone once said:

MCSE is to IT as McDonalds Certified Food Preparer is to fine cuisine.
  • Reply 20 of 99
    Quote:

Originally posted by hmurchison

You can't swing a dead cat without hitting 4 Microsoft Certified Professionals. Certification is beautiful because for most participants it creates mindless drones who push the product they're Certified in and act like nothing else exists.

[/B]

ROTFL.

So true, so true.