How would I copy OS 9 onto my iPod?

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
What files and folders will I need to copy to my iPod in order to boot OS 9 from it?

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 11
    aquaticaquatic Posts: 5,602member
    Just the System Folder. Isn't that nice! Wish OS X could do that.
  • Reply 2 of 11
    Thanks!
  • Reply 3 of 11
    wow thats cool, being able to backup the system on the ipod.

gives me added incentive to get one with my ibook when i buy one.

but whats the difference between what you need to copy to boot from os9 or os x?

i guess this question should realy be on its own thread but since this one is sort of talking about that then i'll leave it here.

and when you say os 9, does that include the classic enviroment? is it possible to just copy os9classic system folder and for that to work exactly the same?
  • Reply 4 of 11
    mrmistermrmister Posts: 1,095member
    Yes, it works the same.
  • Reply 5 of 11
    aquaticaquatic Posts: 5,602member
    Yes ma'am Missy.

UNIX permissions make it so you can't just drag a X drive from your computer to a new hard drive and expect it to work... Hopefully that will be fixed or Apple will release a utility (buy CCC?)

Yes iPods are REAL nice for emergencies. I have a skinny OS 9 System folder on mine just in case, and yes OS 9 will work the same, even your Prefs. Missy c'mon doooooo it get a sexy new iPod...
  • Reply 6 of 11
    well, yeah i probably will get one of those cool silver white shiny new ipods but only if i have enough after buying my ibook.

btw, on the question of the backup. ok, so you can't simply backup os x, but can you backup programs or just the files for the programs.

and is it possible to backup os x, perhaps a really hard way but still?

because i'd probably be working with os x (and not so much os9)

and if i could backup os x (despite any problems with difficulty) would be such an added incentive to get an ipod.
  • Reply 7 of 11
    paulpaul Posts: 5,278member
    Quote:

Originally posted by missyvortexdv

well, yeah i probably will get one of those cool silver white shiny new ipods but only if i have enough after buying my ibook.

http://forums.appleinsider.com/showt...threadid=25371
  • Reply 8 of 11
    that does look like a good deal but alas it appears to only be for the U.S and i'm in UK. sadly because that deal would've appealed to me. sometimes i wish apple would push to sell stuff like that here in the uk but they don't seem overly bothered.
  • Reply 9 of 11
  • Reply 10 of 11
    thanks for the link Paul, but that thread has no link to apple uk's promotion, i couldn't find it on their site.

not to mention that people talking their are saying 300 dollars off, i guess it would be 200 pounds if there is this, but where is it? i'd love to know if they still hav ethe promotion on, because i'm buying one next month and that would be so great.

i only presumed it was US only because the other link was for the US promotion, which had no equivalent link or mention of a Uk one.

i'll just have to keep a keen eye out and trawl thorugh apple uk to find it....
  • Reply 11 of 11
    yeah i was confused by the use of currency also...