Pick One Sense or Die ?

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Imagine that a " life threatening tumor " has been found inside your brain.

( Hope I am not treading on any real life situations here )

And It is lodged in such a way that it can only be removed / destroyed by effectively cauterising one of your five senses in the process.

Which of your Five senses would you choose to loose.

( A ) Hearing

( B ) Sight

( C ) Smell

( D ) Taste

( E ) Touch.

& Why ?

Or would you choose to retain them all till the the lights are switched off ?

As for me, I would give up ( C ) Smell..

Because I paint, eyesight is important as is music ( inspiration ) and taste..enjoying a good beer or pizza. etc..Touch..a woman's caresses..need I say more..?

But my sense of smell is pretty well shot anyway so it relatively easy...But I suspect women would keep their sense of smell..as they apparently have more sensitive noses...

Comments

• Reply 1 of 31
    jesperasjesperas Posts: 524member
    Tough call. Without smell, your sense of taste will be limited to sweet, bitter, salty, and sour.

But yeah, I'd probably go with smell too.
  • Reply 2 of 31
    paulpaul Posts: 5,278member
    sight...

everything else would become more sensitive as a result... and you could mostly function normally... just have to get one of those seeing eye ponies or something...
  • Reply 3 of 31
    liquidrliquidr Posts: 884member
    Smell!!! Can't lose my sight cuz I'm a photographer. Hell, I'm a smoker so I don't have much of a sense of smell anyway.

But I definately don't want to lose the ESP.
  • Reply 4 of 31
    outsideroutsider Posts: 6,008member
    Smell.

The advantages are you never have to smell another fart. People could cook bacon and you would never be the wiser, therefore you would likely lose weight. You can go skunk hunting. See, the advantages are limitless.
  • Reply 5 of 31
    shetlineshetline Posts: 4,695member
    Smell... I'm pretty sure you'll find this the run away winner, because the human sense of smell is so limited, especially when compared to much of the animal kingdom, and most of us depend very little on it. I'd be unhappy about losing my sense of smell, especially to the extent it limited my ability to enjoy food, but I could cope and not be too broken up over it.

On the other hand, a tougher question would be: If you could keep only one sense, and lose the rest, which would it be? I'd keep my sight above all else, but might very well rather be dead than have only my sight left.
  • Reply 6 of 31
    paulpaul Posts: 5,278member
    I'd keep hearing or my sense of touch...
  • Reply 7 of 31
    alcimedesalcimedes Posts: 5,486member
    taste, no question. i'd rather be able to smell my food than taste it.

if you don't believe me, sometime try eating your food with your nose plugged. everything tastes like ass.

besides, there are too many smells that are wonderfull. totally outweighs taste in my mind.
  • Reply 8 of 31
    giaguaragiaguara Posts: 2,724member
    pain.

or maybe taste.
  • Reply 9 of 31
    billybobskybillybobsky Posts: 1,914member
    taste...

there are many things that smell that are indicative of bad. for instance hydrogen sulfide, by the time you smell it, it is already working its deathly magic...
  • Reply 10 of 31
    buonrottobuonrotto Posts: 6,368member
    Touch. I want to draw.
  • Reply 11 of 31
    enaena Posts: 667member
    Sarcasm.
  • Reply 12 of 31
    shetlineshetline Posts: 4,695member
    There are plenty of people obviously willing to give up common sense... and they'll happily do it even without an "or else".
  • Reply 13 of 31
    powerdocpowerdoc Posts: 8,123member
    taste obviously.

Now an another stupid question, if you choose to remove a serious tumor of your limbs, do you choose to remove your arm or your leg ? \
  • Reply 14 of 31
    outsideroutsider Posts: 6,008member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Powerdoc

Now an another stupid question, if you choose to remove a serious tumor of your limbs, do you choose to remove your arm or your leg ? \

In this computer driven society, a leg, definitely.
  • Reply 15 of 31
    moogsmoogs Posts: 4,296member
    Sight. Brutal choice but I don't think I could physically survive very well without it. Not having had it at one point and then losing it. Though losing my hearing would be misery in the sense of never again being able to hear my favorite music, or the woman I love say those magic words....

..."honey, dinner's ready!"
  • Reply 16 of 31
    thuh freakthuh freak Posts: 2,664member
    Smell and taste are far too closely related. When you taste something, a good deal of that feeling comes from how it smells (and how you react to that smell). So, in my eyes, losing smell is like a double wammy. Also, without smell, I wouldn't be able to pick up on all those pheromones.

I'd much rather lose taste. Then, I'm only losing one sense, thereby minimizing my senselessness. And lucky for me, I haven't enjoyed too many really spectacular foods, so I don't know what I'm missing. Ah fukc it, I'll just rob a bank and go to a better hospital.
  • Reply 17 of 31
    powerdocpowerdoc Posts: 8,123member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Outsider

In this computer driven society, a leg, definitely.

Good answer, but this one is more difficult. If you have to choose betwen the removal of your arm or your head, what will be your choice ?

Next one, all your family is taken in hostages by terrorists, they ask you to choose the one who will be sacrifice (canno't be you) or they will shoot the whole family.

Do you choose to sacrifice :

1) your wife

2) your son

3) your daughter

4) your brother

5) your mother in law ?

• Reply 18 of 31
    alcimedesalcimedes Posts: 5,486member
    Quote:

1) your wife

2) your son

3) your daughter

4) your brother

5) your mother in law ?

are you sure #5 qualifies as a sacrifice?
  • Reply 19 of 31
    moogsmoogs Posts: 4,296member
    DOH. I thought this quiz was the other way around...that you could only *keep* one sense. If I only have to *lose* one - the thread title lead me to the other conclusion - I'd say lose the taste. Or taste/smell if you want to group them. I don't need pheromones to be magnetically drawn to the aura of a beautiful woman...

• Reply 20 of 31
    giaguaragiaguara Posts: 2,724member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Powerdoc

Next one, all your family is taken in hostages by terrorists, they ask you to choose the one who will be sacrifice (canno't be you) or they will shoot the whole family.

1) your wife

2) your son

3) your daughter

4) your brother

5) your mother in law ?

this is easy. i am not married and even if i would, i would not be it with a woman. so there is no nr 1. i have no kids either, so no 2 or 3. the lack of 1 excludes also nr 5, and the 4 will bery very unlikely be in the same place with me. so, i would choose the first person from my left or right that i don't know.