Annoying tight horizontal stripes in OSX windows

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 54
    mokimoki Posts: 551member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Chinney

Personally, I like the stripes. But more customization is really what is needed. People like to play with their display.

Yes, but Apple has a good reason for controlling the UI: consistency & branding.
  • Reply 42 of 54
    buonrottobuonrotto Posts: 6,368member
    Well, chalk that up as another thing to "fix" in Panther: consistency between Cocoa and Carbon appearances. I've noticed that the Cocoa iApps use a different gray in the the title bar text than iTunes, not to mention that some items like search field in iTunes grays out when it's in the background, while Safari's, despite also being inactive, isn't grayed out when in the background.

And you're right about branding and theming. That's why we have the "pro" app gray, the iApp metal, and of course Aqua. Remember that Jobs killed the Copeland themes, I doubt he's interested in radically different and arbitrary apearances like that now either.
  • Reply 43 of 54
    discocowdiscocow Posts: 603member
    Quote:

Originally posted by BuonRotto

And you're right about branding and theming. That's why we have the "pro" app gray, the iApp metal, and of course Aqua. Remember that Jobs killed the Copeland themes, I doubt he's interested in radically different and arbitrary apearances like that now either.

I agree that Apple isn?t going to budge any time soon (or ever) about theming. And like I said (implied) earlier, I don?t use themes because I personally like the Aqua UI the best (it?s lickable), so no real gripes there. But I?d still like to have a few more (color) options as far as the Aqua widgets & status bars go.

What can I say? I?m a whore when it comes to customization. If I can customise it, I probably will.

Can you blame me if I happen to like red?

....excursions into personalization aside,

The whole ?fruity? for consumer & ?graphite? for pro stuff went away long ago, along with pinstripes (I?m talking hardware here: old school iMacs, Sawtooth G4s etc.)

And I think this should be reflected marginally in the OS. I mean, it?s pretty damn obvious that Aqua was created with Apple?s old taste the rainbow design philosophy in mind; and It would be nice to see a slight change. A move away from the cheeky fruity ?I?m a laptop that looks like a toilet lid that?s just begging to be snatched up by a Japanese Collage student ? to the more elegant, icy-chromy look of today.

Now don?t take this to mean I don?t like Aqua, I love Aqua. Remember I said: ?reflected marginally? It?d just be nice to see some consistency between the hardware and the OS (as long as it still includes some color.)
  • Reply 44 of 54
    buonrottobuonrotto Posts: 6,368member
    I can see what you're talking about, DiscoCow, I was referring to JYD and others' hopes that Apple might introduce very different appearance themes that the user could arbitrarily select. Assuming, I think reasonably, that any theme's elements would behave the same as any other, it wouldn't make a big difference to how users work the computer, it's only a matter of branding and visual familiarity (location of elements, visual metaphors, etc.) that would make the idea unfavorable with Apple.
  • Reply 45 of 54
    aquaticaquatic Posts: 5,602member
    I hear ya DisCow I've been saying Aqua should have System-7 like "flavors" or accents for a while. I think to make it easiest and most customizable they should have the iMac/iBook colors and a Color Picker for anything else. Themes would be better but I don't think they will add them for a while despite demand. The NeXT people seem more closeminded at least about some things. The Feedback pages and buttons are nice; we should still keep asking. I'll shoot an email off now. However it would be nice if Apple at least made Theming a little easier. I used to use ThemeChanger .5 with 10.2.3 when I first got my PowerBook G4 12" and Watercolor was nice. But usually i don't like pointy windows! Nooooo! Keep them nice and round.

The thin pinstripes in the menu bar are ok but the ones in the Safari toolbar are too thick and should go. Oops yes I mean when you use Metallifizer! God do I HATE HATE HATE Metal for anything but QuickTime and iTunes. And there are so many versions. Why have a interface guideline if you are going to break it? Everything looks so much better now with Metallifizer I think.
  • Reply 46 of 54
    LOL! I can't believe this thread is still going! All I said was that the stripes suck and I want something better in the next update!

But I agree with those of you that say themes are a waste of time. I don't want too many options or something really fancy. Just something not hideous like the stripes!

And Disco Cow, you crack me up. But I agree with what you said.
  • Reply 47 of 54
    discocowdiscocow Posts: 603member
    Quote:

Originally posted by SuperGrover

And Disco Cow, you crack me up.

Should I consider this a good thing?
  • Reply 48 of 54
    netromacnetromac Posts: 863member
    Quote:

Originally posted by DiscoCow

Should I consider this a good thing?

He was probably talking about your "(it?s lickable)" remarke
  • Reply 49 of 54
    They should also bring back the black & white theme, for maybe slower computers that don't like the new graphics.
  • Reply 50 of 54
    Quote:

Originally posted by Dog Almighty

They should also bring back the black & white theme, for maybe slower computers that don't like the new graphics.

Yeah, right, as that is evar going to happen.
  • Reply 51 of 54
    paulpaul Posts: 5,278member
    Quote:

Originally posted by NETROMac

Yeah, right, as that is evar going to happen.

hahahahahahah actually its been in X for a while now...

check out the accessibility prefpane... of course that makes the whole display b&w (greyscale) tho...
  • Reply 52 of 54
    They already have it? Man, I was just joking?
  • Reply 53 of 54
    Quote:

Originally posted by Paul

hahahahahahah actually its been in X for a while now...

check out the accessibility prefpane... of course that makes the whole display b&w (greyscale) tho...

Bliiip!!
  • Reply 54 of 54
    dfilerdfiler Posts: 3,420member
    'Knurling'

I can't believe this discussion has gone on for so long without the word even coming up. Anyone want to explain? I'm too short on time to run with this torch.