iBook battery 56 % charge drops to 0 %

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 50
    Quote:

Originally posted by MCQ

Sorry that it took you a couple bounces between depts to get a new battery, but at least you're getting one, and it will solve your problem.

It really didn't bug me that much. I may have given the wrong impression; they were all very nice people to talk to and the whole thing was pretty quick (mostly on hold). Typing something out makes it look longer. The reason I posted was not to explain how much work it was to get a replacement. I really didn't find it that difficult, despite the length of my original post .

Mostly what I was intersted in posting was the part where the iBook tech specifically asked me, before I made any mention of it, whether my problem had started after upgrading to 10.2.4. I found that very telling. Even after he had stated that he'd never heard of this problem, he asked this question which made me feel (yeah, subjective) that he had heard about this problem.

I think Apple might have a policy where anybody you talk to on the phone will always say they've never heard of whatever problem is being described to them.
  • Reply 42 of 50
    mcqmcq Posts: 1,543member
    Yeah, it seems like a bunch of people seemed to have this crop up with 10.2.4, but someone had done a poll a bit back on whose iBook's batteries were dying, and I think their conclusion was that it wasn't necessarily a system issue but more likely a certain batch of batteries that were just messed up. I'd like to think that was the case, as my battery messed up last October, when several other people's were doing the same as well. Maybe you all got a little bit luckier to have it last a little longer.
  • Reply 43 of 50
    klinuxklinux Posts: 453member
    10.2.5 did not fix my problem. With full backlight, airport, etc - my battery lasts a whole 7 minutes!

When I called the Apple support earlier, they advised me to go to a local Apple store which I did. After reproducing the problem, they agreed that this is something to be fixed and they ordered a new battery for me which came in a few days ago. I will pick up the battery tonight and give it a shot.

I was not charged for either the call or the battery. My iBook is abotu 10 months old.
  • Reply 44 of 50
    escherescher Posts: 1,811member
    klinux: I look forward to reading your report. I don't want to pay for a new battery right now (my iBook's out of warranty). But it's good to know that a new battery will fix things.

Escher

PS: Check out this thread over on MacNN, which details success with a new battery.
  • Reply 45 of 50
    giaguaragiaguara Posts: 2,724member
    Got the battery, so resolved ...
  • Reply 46 of 50
    Forgot to update this. New battery solves problem.
  • Reply 47 of 50
    escherescher Posts: 1,811member
    Quote:

Originally posted by klinux

New battery solves problem.

It's just a shame that solution costs $130! (Unless you're under warranty or covered by AppleCare.)

Escher
  • Reply 48 of 50
    True. However, if you can prove satisfactorily to Apple (or small claims court?) that soemthing it did (10.2.4) destroyed something you own (battery), I believe you are entitled to a new battery.
  • Reply 49 of 50
    kennethkenneth Posts: 832member
    Check this... my battery from the blueburry iBook 300 Rev. A

The battery is dead completely.

Under OS 9.2.2, a red-cross over the battery icon;

under OS X 10.2 (never update), battery is not available.

I reseted the PMU, and got this under X-Charge.

under XBattery,

I definitely need a new battery...I don't think buying an used or refub. battery is a good, right?
  • Reply 50 of 50
    hi

this problem about 10.2.4. and laptop batteries worries me as i'll be getting one soon.

but as a question, does this happen regardless of whether your battery is in the laptop when updated?

i mean if you removed battery and work from mains, or just work from mains when updating, then does that have any difference or is it that 10.2.4 can damage it whenever, simply because of the update.

i have the feeling my question might be insanely dumb but i don't know because i have barely any knowledge of updating, firmware, software etc for apples.