After all my iBook troubles.... More... Display is scrambling

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
Can you believe it? After all the problems with my iBook including the logic board being replaced after less than a year now the display is starting to have lines and speckles continously.

So far I am very less than impressed with apple laptop quality.

This is just rediculous.

Any thoughts?

Fellowship

Comments

• Reply 1 of 20
    trumptmantrumptman Posts: 16,464member
    I would go to town on the techs. I would demand a new machine. Too bad there isn't some equivelent to a computer lemon law. Every company makes a few bad ones.

Nick
  • Reply 2 of 20
    leonisleonis Posts: 3,427member
    I think you should go ask for a new machine as replacement.

Don't know about the consumer law in US. But in Canada consumer always in the top priority.

I have couple of friends who had the Yikes G4 and theirs kept having problems every 2 months. They called Apple and even file a complaint to BBB. And they later granded new machines as replacement.
  • Reply 3 of 20
    fellowshipfellowship Posts: 5,038member
    Well this morning my iBook is working fine as if nothing ever happened. Last night however things looked very bad. I will keep my eye on this and see if the problem returns.

Fellowship
  • Reply 4 of 20
    majormattmajormatt Posts: 1,077member
    My Powerbook works great! even after my father dropped it onto the floor
  • Reply 5 of 20
    keshkesh Posts: 621member
    I think... you should quit asking us. You've spent a lot of time harping on Apple's QC and telling us how disappointed you are.

You're not going to get anywhere by yelling at techs. They can't do anything but service the unit. And the higher-ups aren't likely to issue a complete replacement unless there's a damn good reason to do so.

There's really nothing else new we can tell you.
  • Reply 6 of 20
    I think you're having the same display problem I am, and mine just started. Black and white interference pattern across the whole screen?
  • Reply 7 of 20
    alcimedesalcimedes Posts: 5,486member
    go down to an Apple store. explain to the techs what happened, odds are they'll send it in to get it fixed. hopefully this time they'll get it right.

sounds like your series of iBooks are having some problems though. i've heard this more often as of late. although Apple was just rated the highest quality of all computer manufacterers, so it's tough to say that they're worse than anyone else.
  • Reply 8 of 20
    kraig911kraig911 Posts: 912member
    You're not using it in close proximity to electrical equipment are you? IE. microwave, TV? now on a regular CRT yes you'd get interferrence (sp) with the tube, but on an ibook maybe you are getting interference with the video card or display adaptor on the side. If you are using anything or there is anything around you with a short you could get some freaky stuff happening sometimes. Even tho my powerbook is made out of titanium and shielded well, I have gotten wierd reactions to my old tone/bar generator that I keep together with eletrical tape the diplay isn't as reactive, I'll get wierd remnants of what was around the screen, soon as I turn it off the problem immediately fixes itself.
  • Reply 9 of 20
    giaguaragiaguara Posts: 2,724member
    wait, am i wrong or do i remember you a few months ago so pissed off about your ibook that you were going to sell it and get a peecee?
  • Reply 10 of 20
    Fellowship, admit it. You break everything you touch!
  • Reply 11 of 20
    murbotmurbot Posts: 5,262member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Giaguara

wait, am i wrong or do i remember you a few months ago so pissed off about your ibook that you were going to sell it and get a peecee?

He went to an Apple Store and was exposed to a large dose of RDF radiation. He needs to make another trip.

• Reply 12 of 20
    fellowshipfellowship Posts: 5,038member
    It seems to be doing fine here after that one night of trouble.

Fellows
  • Reply 13 of 20
    klinuxklinux Posts: 453member
    I had a similar problem after reboot my iBook. Brought it in to Apple store and at first both the tech and I were convinced my logic board was screwed. However, when booting up with a OS X CD, the problem went away which eliminate the logic board issue. (Single user mode is fine to which gave us a clue).

So, an archive and (re)install solved the problem for me. My best guess is that beachball broke the CoreGraphics file (see http://users.wpi.edu/~phoenix/).
  • Reply 14 of 20
    eugeneeugene Posts: 8,254member
    Jesus didn't use a laptop, nor should you.
  • Reply 15 of 20
    ti fighterti fighter Posts: 863member

or did he?

some people are scary...
  • Reply 16 of 20
    jante99jante99 Posts: 539member
    Quote:

Originally posted by FellowshipChurch iBook

Can you believe it? After all the problems with my iBook including the logic board being replaced after less than a year now the display is starting to have lines and speckles continously.

This is just rediculous.

Any thoughts?

Fellowship

The connector between the diplay and logic board may be loose. You get this fixed quickly so the cable doesn't break and then ruin the screen completly.
  • Reply 17 of 20
    Quote:

Originally posted by FellowshipChurch iBook

This is just rediculous.

Any thoughts?

Fellowship

I think your problems are in the minority, you probably just got a bad one, like with anything else. Sorry to hear about all these problems, I would hate to pay good money and then have problems that cost even more money.
  • Reply 18 of 20
    No, no, this is a defect in the iBook line. If you go the the Apple site, to the support section, and then to the iBook Display forum, you'll see it's simply a flaw in the manufacturing. It just happens to some of the iBooks. There are plenty of pictures of people's screens scrambled in monochrome.

That doesn't mean it's "Apple being a terrible company." Who knows, maybe they had a batch of bad supplies. These things just happen. People seem to find this problem doesn't happen soon, so what could they do? It's not a car. They have to completely redesign these things every eight months and most of the engineering is microscopic. All they can do is fix it free if it breaks, which they do.

Edit: As for "less than a year now," I'd sure prefer that anything go wrong in less than a year rather than just after. But then, that's how people are. "This damn thing shouldn't be broken in less than a year" or "Wouldn't you know it, broken right after the warranty runs out." The company can't win.
  • Reply 19 of 20
    you could try converting to Islam