Small thing with Address Book

tkntkn
Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
Why does Address Book not have a mapping feature like that of Sherlock?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 9
    endymionendymion Posts: 375member
    Quote:

Originally posted by TKN

Why does Address Book not have a mapping feature like that of Sherlock?

When you click on the address type, such as "Home", you get a popup menu containing the the command "Map of" which opens a map at mapquest in your browser. Sure it's not integrated but it's good enough.
  • Reply 2 of 9
    tkntkn Posts: 224member
    Wow, I never noticed that, way cool.

Thanks
  • Reply 3 of 9
    aquaticaquatic Posts: 5,602member
    Thanks that is awesome. Route 66 should make a plugin for Address Book too. And if it loaded inside Address Book like Sherlock that would be cool too. Maybe in Panther.
  • Reply 4 of 9
    arbernautarbernaut Posts: 182member
    Yeah, but the feature, like so many Apple ideas is US-centric. I live in Harrow, UK, but when I clicked "map of" I was presented with a map of Harrow, PA, US!! http://www.mapquest.com/maps/map.adp...ex&zip=HA1+1QP

*Surely* my own Mac knows I live in the UK! C'mon Apple! You sell a whole BUNCH of macs to people outside the US! First iTunes, now this?

This blows. I'm getting a PC! (Hehehehe - only kidding, obviously)
  • Reply 5 of 9
    Wow Endymion, I never knew that. Tuxedo Mask is even smarter than he appears. Did you toss a rose?
  • Reply 6 of 9
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    See, now this is where Apple would be smart to add some serious user options for where info is gathered on the web, ala Sherlock channels.

I'm not a big fan of MapQuest, to be honest. The maps are fairly good, but the driving directions suck, IMNSHO.

It'd be nice, if, like 'Web Browser' and 'Email' selections, we were allowed to put in 'Search Engine', 'Mapping Engine' and such, and all apps would obey. Safari's search field wouldn't be *just* Google, but maybe Lexis/Nexis for when you're doing a bunch of law research. Allow selection of these things, ala Classic's Locations (when oh when will we get this back?), and voila - you have 'work mode', 'home mode', 'project 3 mode', etc.
  • Reply 7 of 9
    Yes Kickaha that would be awesomeness! That would go in "Internet" Pref Pane, I can see it now in Panther. And yes it should know what country we're in!
  • Reply 8 of 9
    jmarrjmarr Posts: 2member
    Does anyone know if it uses your address for a reference? It would be nice for it to say ok Johnny is at home so to get to Bill's go right then left.

Thank you for your help,

Johnny
  • Reply 9 of 9
    That is a awesome idea. It reminds me of a program we wrote in the beginning of Programming 1 where we controlled pieces of text. We made a map of our neighborhood and it printed out where to go using other houses (and their directions.)