Why are iPods still so expensive?

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
iPods have been out for years now. Shouldn't they have come down in price some?

I realize the iPods of today are better than the iPods of 2 or 3 years ago. But I'd be happy to have an unused old one for $50... or $80 even.

Whuzupwitdat?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 32
    applenutapplenut Posts: 5,768member
    discman sell for more than that....

unreasonable expectations
  • Reply 2 of 32
    Mmmm. That's true. i guess I'm just cheap.
  • Reply 3 of 32
    scottscott Posts: 7,431member
    Me too. My wife wants one for her birthday. Then I told her they start at $300. She thinks it's too much.
  • Reply 4 of 32
    murbotmurbot Posts: 5,262member
    My wife has no idea how much things cost. What the hell are you doing telling her the REAL price?

• Reply 5 of 32
    why would the come down in price when they can sell so many of them at the current prices?

basic economics...demand is still high...no reason to lower prices
  • Reply 6 of 32
    I dunno... I think they'd sell even more if they were cheaper. How many people here that don't already have an iPod would run out and buy one if they lowered the price significantly?

*raising hand* Me! Me!

• Reply 7 of 32
    brunobruinbrunobruin Posts: 552member
    The price HAS come down. The 5GB model that went on sale in November 2001 was $399. You can now get an iPod with twice the storage for $299.

Used 10GB iPods that sold new for $399 are now around $199.
  • Reply 8 of 32
    banchobancho Posts: 1,517member
    10GB refurbs are $199 at the Apple store right now in their "special deals" section. That's a pretty decent price.

edit - I'll learn to preview my messages for spelling someday. I promise.
  • Reply 9 of 32
    jmoneyjmoney Posts: 133member
    Yea I know what your saying man. Maybe Apple should roll back out with the 5gb iPods for like $129, I be those would sell like hotcakes.
  • Reply 10 of 32
    snofsnof Posts: 98member
    Quote:

Originally posted by JMoney

Yea I know what your saying man. Maybe Apple should roll back out with the 5gb iPods for like $129, I be those would sell like hotcakes.

I think they could probably at least offer it for $199. That would definitely be a sweet deal. Does anyone have a link for pricing on the hard drives that Apple uses for the iPods? That could be useful in this discussion.
  • Reply 11 of 32
    banchobancho Posts: 1,517member
    The problem is I don't think Toshiba is making the 5GB drives any longer.

edit - man I suck at spelling at times...
  • Reply 12 of 32
    jwri004jwri004 Posts: 626member
    Quote:

Originally posted by SuperGrover

Mmmm. That's true. i guess I'm just cheap.

Hear Hear
  • Reply 13 of 32
    costiquecostique Posts: 1,084member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Slotracer152

why would the come down in price when they can sell so many of them at the current prices?

basic economics...demand is still high...no reason to lower prices

I have a better-worded explanation:

CORPORATE GREED.
  • Reply 14 of 32
    serranoserrano Posts: 1,806member
    The iPods have massive margins, releasing a cheap 5 gigger would eat into the profit margins without moving significantly more units.

read corporate greed
  • Reply 15 of 32
    jwri004jwri004 Posts: 626member
    Wall Street - Charlie Sheen, Michael Douglas:

"Greed is Good"

Apple is not running a charity. Even though Mr Jobs gets the princely sum of $1 he still is one of the highest paid (if not the highest paid) CEO's today.

Buy a pod, Steve needs a new jet airplane!
  • Reply 16 of 32
    fuzz_ballfuzz_ball Posts: 390member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Earl

My wife has no idea how much things cost. What the hell are you doing telling her the REAL price?

LOL!

I gotta work on that one myself
  • Reply 17 of 32
    1seaside11seaside1 Posts: 74member
    Well, we could look at the high cost this way: the money funds Apple's R&D which things like the iPod possible...

I just upgraded my original 5GB to the new 15GB model and can say that it's well worth the price. It's just simply an incredible product.
  • Reply 18 of 32
    murbotmurbot Posts: 5,262member
    SuperGrover:

Quote:

But I'd be happy to have an unused old one for $50... or $80 even.

applenut:

Quote:

discman sell for more than that....

unreasonable expectations

He's saying no way should you be able to get an unused older iPod for less than the cost of a lowly discman.
  • Reply 19 of 32
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,423member
    When I'm ready to get an iPod I'm going to buy whatever meets my needs. If my purchase happened today I'd be totally happy with the 10 Gig model.

I'd like Apple to lower the cost as well but if they can keep the quality high then I'm happy.
  • Reply 20 of 32
    foadfoad Posts: 717member
    I think it is somewhat pricey but worth it. I have owned one of each generation and can say that is a great product. I got the new 30GB model and am totally hooked. Now I spend a fair amount of time going through the music store while waiting for renders at work.