PowerBook Price Drop!

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
It appears that Apple just dropped the price on the 12" and 15" Powerbooks! The 12" came down by $200. I don't remember the prices on the other models, so I'm not sure how much they've changed.

Yay!!!

http://store.apple.com

Comments

• Reply 1 of 36
    netromacnetromac Posts: 863member
    Something is definately happening here. "*Confirmed* new powerbooks coming SOON" would have been a more appropriate title to this thread I think.
  • Reply 2 of 36
    Hmm. Wonder why they kept the price for the 17". Maybe they have enough trouble meeting demand as it is?
  • Reply 3 of 36
    snofsnof Posts: 98member
    Quote:

Originally posted by NETROMac

"*Confirmed* new powerbooks coming SOON"

Damn, I wish I had thought of that. But in my rush to be the first to break the news here I didn't bother with creativity.
  • Reply 4 of 36
    musicaltonemusicaltone Posts: 189member
    Price drop just on some models and just in US, not rest of world. Cant remember what prices were before but 15" SD looks the same. Please correct if wrong.

If they were gonna update, wouldnt it make sense to do so at the same time as a price reduction on existing models? Confirms nothing for me.
  • Reply 5 of 36
    Quote:

Originally posted by musicaltone

If they were gonna update, wouldnt it make sense to do so at the same time as a price reduction on existing models?

If they update, the existing models would be the upraded models.
  • Reply 6 of 36
    brunobruinbrunobruin Posts: 552member
    Quote:

Price drop just on some models and just in US, not rest of world. Cant remember what prices were before but 15" SD looks the same. Please correct if wrong.

The SuperDrive Ti was $2,799 and is now $2,599. (It was originally introduced at $2,999 so it has fallen $400 since November.)
  • Reply 7 of 36
    costiquecostique Posts: 1,084member
    Aha! Verrry interesting.
  • Reply 8 of 36
    mccrabmccrab Posts: 201member
    Any comments, Matsu?
  • Reply 9 of 36
    macusersmacusers Posts: 840member
    sweet, that means the price is going to stay that way when they introduce the update/970 right?
  • Reply 10 of 36
    murbotmurbot Posts: 5,262member
    They're down at the Canadian Apple Store as well.

$2249 CAD for the Combo PB! I could have sworn that the Combo used to be $2899, and the Super was over 3 grand - now it's $2549 CAD.

12" Combo iBook is down $150 CAD too.

• Reply 11 of 36
    thegeldingthegelding Posts: 3,230member
    970 PB coming soon to an apple store near you (if you are lucky enough to have a freakin apple store near you)...weeeee, fun times...hoping iBooks get G4 or gobi or mojave soon

g
  • Reply 12 of 36
    musicaltonemusicaltone Posts: 189member
    I guess if anything it means they have lowered the price to clear stock [particularly as this is just a US only local drop, as opposed to a worldwide price readjustment] and that the new books will come in at the old *higher* prices. Whether or not the new books will contain 970s or G4 1.25 ghz we will just have to wait and see. But it now looks like something is comming, and soon.
  • Reply 13 of 36
    joecooljoecool Posts: 97member
    Quote:

If they were gonna update, wouldnt it make sense to do so at the same time as a price reduction on existing models? Confirms nothing for me.

Umm.....Sorry to disappoint here but we have a price drop here in Australia too!!!!

Pricing in order of PB:

$3995 -> $3099

$4495 -> $3499

$4995 -> $3799

$5995 -> $4899

And we've had PB shortages here in Australia for the last 3 months easily!! Sounds like a new PB is in order here people!!
  • Reply 14 of 36
    thegeldingthegelding Posts: 3,230member
    so when are you buying earlbot??

g
  • Reply 15 of 36
    audiopollutionaudiopollution Posts: 3,226member
    The 17" Powerbook price has dropped in Canada, too, but I'd assume that is purely a function of the sliding US dollar rather than a price drop to clear inventory.

It was $5299, and it's now $4699.
  • Reply 16 of 36
    rokrok Posts: 3,519member
    my personal take is this:

those hoping that the 970 will be in powerbooks in the next few months will be disappointed. my gut and head agree that it'll be high-end single g4's for some time to come.

really, this signals more to me that the new 15" models are ready, and will be a bit cheaper than the previous tibooks, and they are both clearing stock, as well as setting the price points for the 12" and 15" going forward.

so yes on the new 15" AlBook soon, no on the 970 in the powerbook line... at least not until they get it into a desktop machine, first.
  • Reply 17 of 36
    aquaticaquatic Posts: 5,602member
    Gaaah! I hope they don't update the 12" I just got it and I want to have the best PB out there!!

Hehe just kidding but now I understand how people feel when Apple does this! Hey, I got the B&W G3 right before the G4 came out but that didn't effect me I never used AltiVec and I liked the Smurf color better.

Will they update the 12" PowerBook hardware when they release the 15"? 1ghz, GeForce440go? Then they'd have to put the 4200 or 4400 Go and 1.25 or higher on the 17". That would be sick.

Calling Escher........... Here's your new 12". Or you could buy mine now that it's outdated...
  • Reply 18 of 36
    applenutapplenut Posts: 5,768member
    perhaps apple just wants to be more competitively priced.

:-\\
  • Reply 19 of 36
    aquaticaquatic Posts: 5,602member
    True. It would be nice if they update the PB bus speeds though. 167 mhz is sad enough for a laptop, it's just a joke that the desktops have it.
  • Reply 20 of 36
    applenutapplenut Posts: 5,768member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Aquatic

True. It would be nice if they update the PB bus speeds though. 167 mhz is sad enough for a laptop, it's just a joke that the desktops have it.

what else do you want?