Apple Better Not Screw Up With The iTunes Music Store

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
They are sitting on a HUGE success right now. They need to get it on Windows ASAP or else others will be there first and Apple simply wont have the headstart they need and should have. If apple releases it now and grows the user base I don't think people will even try to compete. But they need to be there first and best right from the start.

I would hope that the Windows version will be released within the next month or so, but i fear it may truly come "late this year"

Comments

• Reply 1 of 9
    Ya, that would be an affirmative. This has been talked about widely pretty much every website I go to. If I am not mistaken, it has been talked about here at AI too. At work, so can't really do a search for it. Love this place though.

-tommy
  • Reply 2 of 9
    applenutapplenut Posts: 5,768member
    yea it has but more and more their oppurtunity is slipping away. Earlier this week with the Real announcement, now Roxio and Napster, soon Amazon and MS..... gonna get crowded real fast
  • Reply 3 of 9
    amorphamorph Posts: 7,112member
    If it's a bit late, it won't just be Apple's fault. Last we heard, only two of the big five were signed up for the Windows version. The Mac market has the twin advantages of being more honest, generally, and also having fewer filesharing options (and far less traffic).

Steve's going to have to convince them that the relatively relaxed DRM scheme will hold up in the larger Windows market. I'm guessing that it'll be a hard sell.
  • Reply 4 of 9
    brussellbrussell Posts: 9,812member
    I'll be looking to see if Apple ends up competing with the likes of Amazon and AOL for music download services, or if they end up getting licensing deals with them. The conventional wisdom is probably that it would be great for Apple to get Amazon and AOL to have an agreement to use iTunes, but I think I'd rather see them compete.

I'm not even sure how Amazon would license Apple for this anyway - are they going to have all their customers use iTunes for music purchase? That doesn't make sense.
  • Reply 5 of 9
    inactionmaninactionman Posts: 618member
    Maybe Apple should try to release a beta of Windows iTunes that doesn't yet have iTMS in it just to get Windows crowd all giddy about it. That way, when iTMS for Windows is ready to go, it'll just be a quick upgrade and they can start buying instead of getting iTunes running all their mp3's. Although, that's assuming iTunes is anywhere near ready to be released-which is doubtful.
  • Reply 6 of 9
    macsrgood4umacsrgood4u Posts: 3,007member
    Based on previous reports and Apple's ad for someone to work on the Windows version of iTunes just last month, I seriously doubt they can have it ready by the time Applenut deems it necessary. September would seem to me to be the earliest possible time assuming that the 3 other major labels not on board for the Windows version sign up.
  • Reply 7 of 9
    ebbyebby Posts: 3,110member
    What Jobs wants to do with iTunes Music Store will be a huge success. However, it's the record companies that will dim this brilliant light. They refuse to give even a little. (Well, they did a tinsy bit for the mac version and look how successful it is!) Instead of listening to customers, they stand rigid on their high horse and blame everything on illegal downloads. The Big 5 have what could be their last chance to appeal to music listeners. In economics, this is a struggle between supply and demand. Right now, there is a huge demand for all types of music (not just the most popular) and the only source to get it is on the internet. The ITMS is an easy way to equalize S/D and the record companies that don't sigh up will be digging their own graves.

I have a list of music to get, purchased or otherwise. Yea, I download music I can't buy and don't feel guilty about it! If the song I want is owned by one of the record companies that didn't sign up to ITMS, I look on Limewire.

SIMPLE AS THAT! PERIOD! END OF STORY! 8)
  • Reply 8 of 9
    bartobarto Posts: 2,246member
    It's not difficult at all for Apple to port iTunes to Windows. It will probably only take them ~3 months.

When Apple ported QuickTime to Windows, they had to port most of the Mac OS Toolbox. To rewrite QuickTime, to expect codec makers to rewrite codecs, and to expect multimedia application makers/game makers to rewrite apps would have been too much. So Apple just ported most of the Mac OS Toolbox.

Some of iTunes would need to be rewritten (a lot of the GUI - but that's proprietory anyway), but most of it would be a tweak here, a tweak there based on my understanding.

Barto