Let's rant about Microsoft Word!

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 34
    amorphamorph Posts: 7,112member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Brad

I'm not trying to defend Word here. I don't like it too much either. Yet, the majority of the basis for your argument comes from features that you don't even have to use! That would be like complaining about Mac OS X because it has huge 128x128 icons that take up too much space. These are options. Options like these are good because they can tailor to how different people work.

On the other hand, the vast majority of installations use whatever the defaults are, and so the fact that Word ships with a lot of gimmicky and annoying (and often buggy) features turned on is a strike against it. Sad to say, MS' idea of user friendliness is frequently intrusive, presumptuous and condescending.

Also, spelunking into Word's various configuration dialogs costs 1D20 SAN.
  • Reply 22 of 34
    ghost_user_nameghost_user_name Posts: 22,667member
    That's true, Amorph, but another problem is that a number of people have gotten so used to those gimmicky features and the preferences are so poorly laid out that people would probably be wildly confused if in the next version these options were off as default.

*sigh*
  • Reply 23 of 34
    placeboplacebo Posts: 5,767member
    Office X is actually remarkably better than Office XP, but if you want to REALLY be cool, then use emacs or vi!
  • Reply 24 of 34
    dfilerdfiler Posts: 3,420member
    A look at the MS financials is quite educational.

My Gripe?

The money we pay for Office (and Windows) is used to subsidize other products that MS sells for a loss. Once MS kills the competition in those markets, they?ll jack up the price and find another niche to monopolize.
  • Reply 25 of 34
    The fast scrolling is a recognized problem, at least on the PC (never used it on the mac). It particularly bites you when you try to select text of the screen or select the content of tables.

The workaround is to learn the keyboard shortcuts for text selection--much more precise.

Also, as a software developer, I detest everything MS Word stands for, mainly how it tries to be everything to everyone and ends up a bloated mess when all most users ever needed or wanted was Wordpad with a spellchecker.

I'll save my full rant for another time but did you know that MS Word was specifically *designed* to have the same user-interface as a spreadsheet?

It makes me sad just thinking about it.
  • Reply 26 of 34
    scottscott Posts: 7,431member
    You can also turn off the "select entire word" thing which IMO is the most annoying ****ing word "feature" out there.
  • Reply 27 of 34
    alcimedesalcimedes Posts: 5,486member
    no, the little computer guy is the most annoying. anything else is a distant second.
  • Reply 28 of 34
    wrong robotwrong robot Posts: 3,907member
    Word works for me, especially when doing cross-platform transfers, I have no problems(though the grammar check is kind of annoying, and also it's not letting me add new words for some reason)
  • Reply 29 of 34
    chinneychinney Posts: 1,019member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Wrong Robust

...it's not letting me add new words for some reason

I had this problem until I created a supplementary dictionary in a folder to which I had the appropriate permissions. These UNIX-based folder permission thingies have screwed me up a couple of times.
  • Reply 30 of 34
    ti fighterti fighter Posts: 863member
    Quote:

Originally posted by alcimedes

no, the little computer guy is the most annoying. anything else is a distant second.

i dunno, i find he helps me when i ask a question most of the time.
  • Reply 31 of 34
    frawgzfrawgz Posts: 547member
    Scanty Unicode support. I had to save a report I was writing in RTF halfway through and then finish it in TextEdit.
  • Reply 32 of 34
    Annoying bugs:

-copy and paste huge swathes of text and you'll find your formatting randomly rearranged.

-it 'pauses' while you select text. You compensate and end up with gibberish.

-use graphics in a large document and you too will find they take an age to appear. Click on them to find out what they are and the app quits. EVERY TIME.

-it's shit, annoying, slow, bloatware.
  • Reply 33 of 34
    Oh, and there is NO EXCUSE for the little computer man. I have him switched off of course, but the very fact he's there, taking up disk space, lurking, annoys me.
  • Reply 34 of 34
    nanonano Posts: 179member
    Quote:

Originally posted by SuperGrover

6. Word randomly decides to change fonts and font sizes on you. Who knows why.

let me add number 7 to that list

7. Its Microsoft