some questions from a recent switcher

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
Hello,

My Powerbook 12" arrived on friday! It's a really cool thing! But I still have some questions:

1.) How can I access files on a local windows-network? I can connect to the internet through this LAN at the university, but I can't access files stored on the desktops like it is possible with windows notebooks.

Wich programs do I have to use. If I try to click on connect to server there's allways an error-message.

2.) Are there key-combinations to cut/copy/paste like Ctrl+x/ctrl+c/ctrl+v on windows?

3.) why doesn't the battery-indicator show 5 hours when it is fully charged and I just turned on the powerbook. It's more like 3:30.

4.) Is there a OS X driver for the logitech MX 300 mouse. I only have OS 9 drivers, and the other drivers I downloaded don't work with this mouse.

5.) How can I change my Nickname?????

Thank you for your help

Comments

• Reply 1 of 9
    frawgzfrawgz Posts: 547member
    1. It should work out of the box. You need the correct username and password of course.

2. Replace the "CTRL" in the Windows shortcut with "COMMAND" (The Apple key).

3. The 5 hours quoted is under very strict conditions, with dimmed screen and under energy saving mode. I would think 2.5 to 3.5 hours would be typical of everyday usage.

4. Is this what you're looking for? The mouse should work without any driver installation.

5. This is a little hairy. Check the below Apple Support page for how-to.

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=106824
  • Reply 2 of 9
    murbotmurbot Posts: 5,262member
    Fist thing to do is call Apple and get your refund. The price on the 12" models just tanked by $200 and Apple has a 10 day price guarantee, so you'll get that difference back. (if you ordered from the Apple online store)
  • Reply 3 of 9
    mcqmcq Posts: 1,543member
    For #1, I'm guessing in the Finder --> Go --> connect to server might help out.
  • Reply 4 of 9
    murbotmurbot Posts: 5,262member
    Here's that number and info:

PRICES

The Apple Store endeavors to offer you competitive prices on current Apple products and selected refurbished and clearance products. Your total order price will include the price of the product (on the day of shipping) plus any applicable sales tax and shipping charges. Apple reserves the right to change prices for products displayed at the Apple Store at any time.

Should Apple reduce its price on any shipped product within 10 calendar days of shipment, you may contact Apple Sales Support at 1-800-676-2775 to request a refund or credit of the difference between the price you were charged and the current selling price. To receive the refund or credit you must contact Apple within 14 business days of shipment.
  • Reply 5 of 9
    The Mouse works without problems now.

Unfortunatly I've not bougth the Powerbook at apple-online. I've bought it at cancom.de and they still have the higher prices. Next time I'll consider buying online @ apple :-)!

I still can't connect to the other computers. I need to search for the IP and get to the shared files on the local computers: it doesn't work with 'connect to server' for me?!!

I've also tried to connect to my XP pro box at home, It doesn't work as well, but I get an IP when I connect the cables. Which options do I have to have enabled on bouth sides, windows and mac?

thank you
  • Reply 6 of 9
    709709 Posts: 2,016member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Earl

Here's that number and info:

Should Apple reduce its price on any shipped product within 10 calendar days of shipment, you may contact Apple Sales Support at 1-800-676-2775 to request a refund or credit of the difference between the price you were charged and the current selling price. To receive the refund or credit you must contact Apple within 14 business days of shipment.

The 11th commandment in Earl's bible...right under 'thou shalt not have less than 3 Macs within thine sight'....., and 'thou shalt not covet thine neighbor's Mac' (which he's going to Hell for, BTW).
  • Reply 7 of 9
    hobbeshobbes Posts: 1,252member
    Quote:

Originally posted by future-ex-pc-user

I've also tried to connect to my XP pro box at home, It doesn't work as well, but I get an IP when I connect the cables. Which options do I have to have enabled on bouth sides, windows and mac?

thank you

You're using a crossover Ethernet cable at home, right? And "Windows FIle Sharing" is turned on in Sharing Preferences?

Also, take a look at these:

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=107083

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=106471
  • Reply 8 of 9
    ghost_user_nameghost_user_name Posts: 22,667member
    To ease other Windows-to-Mac transitions, you might should skim over this site and read any sections you might find relevant (like the "Keyboard" section for assistance on menu shortcuts):

X vs. XP

This site's primary purpose is actually is *compare* the two operating systesms (Mac OS X and Windows XP), not *teach* you how to use one or the other, but it still has a wealth of information in those comparisons that can be helpful to newbies like yourself.

Hope this helps.
  • Reply 9 of 9
    NEVER BUY ANYTHING FROM CANCOM!!! PLAIN and SIMPLE!!!

i go directly to apple and get great service if anything happens...

also make sure windows file sharing is checked in the system prefs>sharing... also look at apples 101 ways to make a windows person move everything you could possibly want to move... in one simple step...

btw.. did you buy it at the cancom store in stuttgart? horrid people...

cheers,

m2