Xserve RAID

Comments

• Reply 21 of 42
    scott f.scott f. Posts: 276member
    [quote]Originally posted by *l++:

<strong>A primer on <a href="http://www.megahaus.com/tech/RAIDbasics.shtml"; target="_blank">RAID</a>.

It turns out (not mentioned there) that 7 disks is the best number for a RAID 5, as you loose exactly one (hmm perhaps two, I can't remember) disk(s) to the error correction info.

[ 05-15-2002: Message edited by: *l++ ]</strong><hr></blockquote>

Thanks for the link... it'll take me a few to grok the whole concept... but I'm getting there. Either way, there "could" be a way for me to use this RAID for my needs... correct...?

Stupid question #12: How would it connect to my Mac... FireWire...?
  • Reply 22 of 42
    costiquecostique Posts: 1,084member
    There's a thing I missed somehow: swappable power supplies. Do they appear in Xserve RAID only or also in Xserve we've seen? It's certainly good to have redundant power supplies to protect your RAID, but in some critical applications it's critical to have your server on and running 24/7. Without rebooting.

Has anyone noticed pluggable power supplies in the Xserve?
  • Reply 23 of 42
    zerozero Posts: 39member
    [quote]Originally posted by Scott F.:

<strong>The big question for me is... would I be able to use that product with my G4 to serve-up video & audio if it were striped...?

My "understanding" (which may be wrong) of the configuration is that there are 14 drives... 2 banks of 7, each bank of 7 gets striped together and they mirror each-other, so it's essentially a RAID of 7 drives with another 7 to be a back-up.

If one drive goes... am I hosed with ALL of my data within that bank of 7...? (ignoring the back-up mirror)

- Scott</strong><hr></blockquote>

raid 0 (stripe): it's fast but if one drive goes, your data is gone.

raid 1 (mirror): as fast as the single disk but redundant. means also that you have half the capacity: 2x60 GB disks in raid1 config = 60GB free space)

raid 1+0 (or 10): (stripe + mirror): fast & redundant! great thing. you need at least 4 disks for this config. so it's not cheap

raid 5 (stripe with parity disk): at least three disks. one will be parity for reconstruction of the broken one. IMHO performance is better with raid 1+0. raid 5 needs computing time for the parity data. once i changed a very busy mail system from raid5 to 1+0: the performance improvement was incredible...

cheers

zero
  • Reply 24 of 42
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,423member
    [quote]Originally posted by Scott F.:

<strong>

MAN! Do I need to do some homework, or WHAT...!!!??? All I got from that was "Blah blah blah blah RAID blah blah DV blah Audio blah blah blah performance blah blah..."

Thanx anyhow.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Dude sorry. I read my post and it was as clear as mud. Posted that at 6am so brain had not fully warmed up and engaged LOL
  • Reply 25 of 42
    [quote]Originally posted by Mac Guru:

<strong>If I remember correctly from my networking classes desn't hard drive life decrease when the drives are stored and run vertically? I LOVE the design of the RAID but every time I have had a vertical HD it has died like 5 times faster than my horizontal ones.

Mac Guru</strong><hr></blockquote>

Shouldn't be a problem. Sun Hardware Raids (StoreEdge) and NetApp Filers have their drives stored vertically and they ARE mission critical systems. Okay, they get class A drives from manufacturers, not the class B or C drive out in the stores. That maybe makes the difference.

zero
  • Reply 26 of 42
    Another stupid (novice) question:

Are the RAID drives the SAME drives as in the Xserve unit...? (Interchangeable...?)
  • Reply 27 of 42
    eugeneeugene Posts: 8,254member
    Xserve RAID has redundant PSes, but not Xserve.

---

The Apple Drive Units in Xserve and Xserve RAID are the same.
  • Reply 28 of 42
    noahjnoahj Posts: 4,503member
    [quote]Originally posted by Eugene:

<strong>Xserve RAID has redundant PSes, but not Xserve.

---

The Apple Drive Units in Xserve and Xserve RAID are the same.</strong><hr></blockquote>

How could they be? The Drives in the Xserve are IDE and the ones in the Raid box are SCSI right? Or am I missing something here?
  • Reply 29 of 42
    naepstnnaepstn Posts: 78member
    I believe that vertically mounted drives make for much better cooling too. It you stack drives on top of each other, you need a lot of air blowing through to keep the heat from one drive from smoking the drive(s) above it. Therefore the air must move between all the drives With vertically mounted drives, you are mostly concerned with air flowing along the top of the case and out, collecting the hot air and driving it out before it builds up. When you look at the xServe RAID, the drives are all packed together, and the only air vents on the front are at the top. With horizontal drives, I think you'd need vents between every drive, cluttering up the look and reducing the density you pack them in.
  • Reply 30 of 42
    naepstnnaepstn Posts: 78member
    [quote]Originally posted by hmurchison:

<strong>

The simple answer is do not run RAID 0, for DV and Audio your performance would be fine running RAID 5 or a Combo of Levels(ie 0 +1)</strong><hr></blockquote>

I had heard that RAID 5 was not recommended for video. I was told that the calculation was too expensive for that application and to simply stick to striping (or 1+0). I personally love RAID 5, but use it for fileserving/database serving. Very cool technology!
  • Reply 31 of 42
    Xserve and Xserve RAID both use IDE HDDs.
  • Reply 32 of 42
    *l++*l++ Posts: 129member
    RAID 5 is expensive if you do it in software.

I don't think this is much of an issue with spindle synchronized drives and hardware parity computations.
  • Reply 33 of 42
    [quote]Originally posted by naepstn:

<strong>

I had heard that RAID 5 was not recommended for video. I was told that the calculation was too expensive for that application and to simply stick to striping (or 1+0). I personally love RAID 5, but use it for fileserving/database serving. Very cool technology!</strong><hr></blockquote>

We have a 400 GB RAID 5 FiberChannel storage system that is shared between 3 video editing suites, and it works really well.
  • Reply 34 of 42
    noahjnoahj Posts: 4,503member

<strong>Xserve and Xserve RAID both use IDE HDDs.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Really? Well that should keep the cost way down.
  • Reply 35 of 42
    I don't know. Apple sells 120 GB modules for $500...

14 x $500 = ouch

Apple may find itself selling a lot of sled "replacements" instead of complete modules.
  • Reply 36 of 42
    bkuchtabkuchta Posts: 18member
    Does anyone know if disk utility can do raid 1+0? I know it can do mirroring and striping individually but can it do both at once? It?s cool that apple made it so the Xserve could boot off of its software raid. Hopefully this trickles down to OS X client.
  • Reply 37 of 42
    [quote]Originally posted by BKuchta:

<strong>Does anyone know if disk utility can do raid 1+0? I know it can do mirroring and striping individually but can it do both at once? It’s cool that apple made it so the Xserve could boot off of its software raid. Hopefully this trickles down to OS X client.</strong><hr></blockquote>

I don't know if disk utility can do this, but software raid under unix usually works like this:

First you configure the two stripes. For each stripe you get a new device name. Then you mirror both stripe devices.

Maybe it's similar, but I admit: I never used raid on macs ;-( .... once I will)
  • Reply 38 of 42
    jlljll Posts: 2,713member

<strong>I don't know. Apple sells 120 GB modules for $500...

14 x $500 = ouch

Apple may find itself selling a lot of sled "replacements" instead of complete modules.</strong><hr></blockquote>

If the Xraid will cost $7,000 it will be cheap. I haven't seen any other RAID systems at that price (yes I have, but that uses 5400rpm drives).

A Snap Server 12000 with 960 GB storage costs $15,000.
  • Reply 39 of 42
    [quote]Originally posted by JLL:

<strong>

If the Xraid will cost $7,000 it will be cheap. I haven't seen any other RAID systems at that price (yes I have, but that uses 5400rpm drives).

A Snap Server 12000 with 960 GB storage costs $15,000.</strong><hr></blockquote>

I am guessing fully decked out, 9,000 to 10,000 dollars

[ 05-16-2002: Message edited by: unknown_source ]</p>
  • Reply 40 of 42
    [quote]Originally posted by unknown_source:

<strong>

I am guessing fully decked out, 9,000 to 10,000 dollars

[ 05-16-2002: Message edited by: unknown_source ]</strong><hr></blockquote>

Who needs to guess...? I just went and configured one at the Apple Store as such:

Xserve Dual 1GHz

120GB Ultra ATA - 7200rpm - Bay 1 \t065-3315

Gigabit Fiber Ethernet Card \t065-3561

ATI Graphics Card \t065-3625

120GB Ultra ATA - 7200rpm - Bay 4 \t065-3551

120GB Ultra ATA - 7200rpm - Bay 3 \t065-3550

120GB Ultra ATA - 7200rpm - Bay 2 \t065-3545

Gigabit Ethernet Card \t065-3416

Accessory kit \t065-3300

CD-ROM drive \t065-3316

Dual 1GHz PowerPC G4 \t065-3319

Mac OS X Server, Unlimited License \t065-3301

2GB DDR SDRAM - 4 DIMMs \t065-3544

Grand Total: $7,449.00 (no service plan)