iTunes 4 "skipping" bug

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
Anyone else see this? Sometimes it stops playing music, and I have to bring it to the front and it resumes playing, or it skips a few seconds. (This is on mp3 and AIFF songs on my drive that do NOT skip.) I thought gee I'd upgrade to this new crippleware at least to FIX bugs.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    Agreed. It does this occasionally for me, too. Hopefully they'll fix it, soon.
  • Reply 2 of 7
    willoughbywilloughby Posts: 1,457member
    Apple has noted this bug in their AppleCare database. Guess what the fix is? Delete the track and reencode it from the CD!

Thats a smack in the face to pirates.
  • Reply 3 of 7
    aquaticaquatic Posts: 5,602member
    Haha but these are from CDs I OWN like Linkin Park's Meteora, I like ripping CDs so I can save battery and not have to bring them. I OWN this CD. So do I have to rerip it? I ripped it in AIFF. That is a smack in the face but not to pirates.
  • Reply 4 of 7
    If Apple's suggesting re-encoding, they're missing the boat, and I guess we won't get a fix soon. Perhaps we should call these audio gaps instead of skips, since some may be confusing the artifacts from encoding dirty, scratched, or delaminated CDs.

In this specific case, there's nothing wrong with the tracks themselves. If you rewind the track and replay it, it plays fine. If you hear the track later in the same day, it won't gap in the same place, (if at all). If you play the track in iTunes 3.x, it's plays fine.

iTunes 4.0 and 4.0.1 occasionally adds blank audio gaps to normal, properly encoded mp3s. Be they DLs or rips, doesn't matter.

I practically live under my headphones, and I've ripped several hundred CDs, and yes, pirated hundreds more... On 4.0.1, I'd say I get the audio gap problem on a random basis, once every 100 or so tracks.

YMMV
  • Reply 5 of 7
    This happens to me with AAC's. Newly ripped. iTunes 4. Beethoven. GODDAMMIT. It's irritating as fff? fun? maybe Panther will bring all this buggy software together in harmony and it won't suck anymore?
  • Reply 6 of 7
    aquaticaquatic Posts: 5,602member
    That's not all. Anyone tried the Equalizer display or Visualizer? It doesn't work EDIT: my old music still works in Visualizer, aiff and mp3. For some reason the music I ripped today with 4.01 the first I've done so with 4.01 I believe, doesn't show Visuals. I copied it by option dragging the CD in the Finder. Was is the option drag (usually I import but I just dragged this time) or is it the update? I'll test this later..

DeafeningSilence the gaps happen more than that to me, probaly once every 30 songs and it seems to get more frequent as time goes on.
  • Reply 7 of 7
    Quote:

Originally posted by Aquatic

For some reason the music I ripped today with 4.01 the first I've done so with 4.01 I believe, doesn't show Visuals. I copied it by option dragging the CD in the Finder...the gaps happen more than that to me, probaly once every 30 songs and it seems to get more frequent as time goes on.

I hadn't noticed any problems with visuals, but that's probably because I rarely use them. That's interesting, tho, so I'll see If I can replicate your problem when I finish my work projects today.

I had more problems with gaps when I was using 4.0 (more like once every 50 tracks). The frequency with which they occur seemed to decline when I changed to 4.0.1., but honestly, I could just be getting used to them\