What is "Requiem for a Dream" about? (no spoilers please)

Posted:
in AppleOutsider edited January 2014
I haven't seen this movie yet, but people said itw as pretty good but I have no idea what it's about. So if you would just tell me if it's good or not that'd be great. Just no spoilers please : )

Comments

• Reply 1 of 21
    wrong robotwrong robot Posts: 3,907member
    It's about addiction.
  • Reply 2 of 21
    ibrowseibrowse Posts: 1,749member
    No, it's about addiction. Addiction does not deal only with drugs.
  • Reply 3 of 21
    bartobarto Posts: 2,246member
    My throughts from http://forums.appleinsider.com/showt...threadid=22162

"Words cannot describe it. If everyone in the world over the age of 13 watched this film, illegal drugs would disappear." It's that powerful, I think.

"I have to explain to people who haven't seen it that this is not an anti-drugs film. When I watched it, the message it left imprinted on me was "look, there's a sick and twisted world that exists parallel to a seeming nice one... that's not innocent in the matter". A reflection on society, if you will."

"...the drugs in the film arn't just chemical. And it isn't a moral story either. No He/she shouldn't have done it! I guess in the end at it's most basic: Drugs f***ed up these people. But anyone can be caught by the dealer. The dealer being the world (no moral tale in that)."

"At the end, there isn't really a message to the film. It's an observation, and a very powerful one. Some people don't like this, but I thought it was fantastically inspiring and depressing."

Ignore the conservative zealots and the closed-minded hippies who try to convince you that it's a "cautionary tale". It isn't. I found that its purely objective style results in it being more powerful, as you use your own experiences/morals to extend it. In other words, it makes you THINK.

It was a film I certainly don't regret watching. However, I NEVER want to watch it again. I think everyone should see it at least once.

Barto
  • Reply 4 of 21
    newnew Posts: 3,244member
    Quote:

Originally posted by iBrowse

No, it's about addiction. Addiction does not deal only with drugs.

very true. great film.
  • Reply 5 of 21
    scottscott Posts: 7,431member
    Splitting hairs here.
  • Reply 6 of 21
    murbotmurbot Posts: 5,262member
    Yeah, Jennifer Connelly's short, curly ones.
  • Reply 7 of 21
    Well, you have my curiosity. I didn't see the movie and i would really like to. If you say it's about addiction this means teenagers and all viewers should have something to learn. You don't really get interested until you deal whit addiction struggling in a drug treatment center.
  • Reply 8 of 21
    You have to be high out of your mind to think that it's a good movie.

I'd rather watch Trainspotting and Fear & Loathing 100 more times than watch Requim for a Dream once again.

If you liked Crash, then you will probably like it though. Both movies offer no real insight into the subject matter they are covering and the plot is like something out of a long drawn out PSA.
  • Reply 9 of 21
    backtomacbacktomac Posts: 4,579member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Barto View Post

My throughts from http://forums.appleinsider.com/showt...threadid=22162

It was a film I certainly don't regret watching. However, I NEVER want to watch it again. I think everyone should see it at least once.

Barto

My sentiments as well. Very sad and disturbing but powerful as well.
  • Reply 10 of 21
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,322moderator
    This thread's 4 years old btw, I think the OP has long since died of old age.

I'm always curious about how people even find these things. First of all, why were you looking at threads this old and second of all, why drugs? This is a Mac forum.
  • Reply 11 of 21
    backtomacbacktomac Posts: 4,579member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

I'm always curious about how people even find these things. First of all, why were you looking at threads this old and second of all, why drugs? This is a Mac forum.

I didn't realize it was a dead and revived thread until after I posted. My bad.
  • Reply 12 of 21
    I really liked the movie, I've seen it a hundred times (not literally), it's a good movie. I'll never touch heroin after seeing it thats for sure lol
  • Reply 13 of 21
    @_@ artman@_@ artman Posts: 5,231member
  • Reply 14 of 21
    thuh freakthuh freak Posts: 2,664member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Wojciechowski View Post

You have to be high out of your mind to think that it's a good movie.

Hmm. Well, I was, of course, high out of my mind. But I thought it was a great movie. Made me want to start heroin. Sweet, glorious, guilt-free and trouble-free heroin.
  • Reply 15 of 21
    ptrashptrash Posts: 296member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

This is the Apple Outsider forum, right?

Moreover, talk about missing the point. It's a film about addiction, drawing parallels between consumption of TV and products and drugs. Here we are in a mac community, made up of people who post thousands of messages about their Macs. Where hours are spent pondering the fate of Macs, and Ipods and other consumer junk (pun not intended but I like it)--what it might look like 5 years from now, how many grey hairs it's god/leader--SJ--has, etc.

Lastly, if you don't want to participate in a post, ignore it. Or does this topic bother you? Maybe there should be a content warning about the Apple Outsider forum?

PS I cannot believe that rehab (http://www.drugrehab.net/slides.swf)! It must cost $50, 000, at least!
  • Reply 16 of 21
    jubelumjubelum Posts: 4,490member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by murbot View Post

Yeah, Jennifer Connelly's short, curly ones.

• Reply 17 of 21
    jubelumjubelum Posts: 4,490member
    If you took the TV show "Intervention" and baked it with a Hemingway novel, and then add a Tarantino drizzle with Tim Burton garnish, you'd get a decent idea...

Great film. Should be mandatory in High School. Sure did make me think.
  • Reply 18 of 21
    giantgiant Posts: 6,041member
    It was an average movie, both as far as films go in general as well as the average between the very good PI and the awful Fountain. There wasn't anything particularly special about it and it wasn't a very accurate depiction of drug use. Wojciechowski's absolutely right: as far as drug films go it's at the bottom of the heap. Since a drug film is all it really is, it doesn't have much going for it. Plus, while the film itself is no worse than average, it's very similar to Crash in that the completely undeserved praise it receives from some people makes the whole thing a total turn-off.

It's probably worth a single watch if you haven't seen it and you have nothing else to do for a couple hours, but it's not worth going of your way for. It wasn't horrible, but it wasn't any better than any number of films that come out each year.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ptrash View Post

This is the Apple Outsider forum, right?

It was in General Discussion or one of the other forums when it was bumped and was subsequently moved here.
  • Reply 19 of 21
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,322moderator
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ptrash View Post

Lastly, if you don't want to participate in a post, ignore it. Or does this topic bother you? Maybe there should be a content warning about the Apple Outsider forum

I was just wondering why a new user would come to a Mac forum to raise a thread from 4 years ago about drugs. I don't mind the topic at all, I just thought it was a bit strange to do that.
  • Reply 20 of 21
    midwintermidwinter Posts: 10,060member
    It's about addition.

No. Wait.

It's about addiction.