CONFIRMED: I'm going to ....

Comments

• Reply 21 of 54
    scottscott Posts: 7,431member
    Okay so last night while I was trying to sleep the cost of 10 days was spinning in my head. So I asked the wife to cut it back. We're at about 5 or 6 days now. She never thinks about cost.
  • Reply 22 of 54
    ghost_user_nameghost_user_name Posts: 22,667member
    Okay. You fall directly into the "typical american terrorist in europe"-category.

1) Go to france to see Disneyland

2) Fly over 10.000 kilometers to spent 6 days.

But thats cool. Try some freedom fries while in Paris. They are supposed to be great there.

This evil post was brought to you by Anders.

BTW you can survive very cheaply in any city in europe. I´ll be able to find accomedation for nothing more that $25 per person for a clean room. If you are there to see the city you really don´t need much money to survive
  • Reply 23 of 54
    My wife and I don't want to stay in youth hostels. And we're not going to EuroDisney. That was a joke.
  • Reply 24 of 54
    newnew Posts: 3,244member
    Paris is great Scott.

Go to Montmartre, eat Canard (duck), Don't even try to learn how the lunch hours work. (if your only there for 6 days).

I might actually be going to Syria or Iraq myself this fall.
  • Reply 25 of 54
    ghost_user_nameghost_user_name Posts: 22,667member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Scott

My wife and I don't want to stay in youth hostels.

Why not. I know these guys in Berlin:

http://www.globetrotterhostel.de/index.html

Dead center in the intersting part of Berlin and with very little noise. Their double rooms with shower has very little to do with what normally is connected with youth hostels and with interesting decoration

$52 per night and rebate if you stay for more than a few days. I´m sure there are places like this in Paris also.

How large is the budget?
  • Reply 26 of 54
    alex londonalex london Posts: 613member
    Anders that's fabulous, we've never done a city break in (unified) Germany before, i think you might have just persuaded me. Scott, did you really do everything whilst in Amsterdam?
  • Reply 27 of 54
    billybobskybillybobsky Posts: 1,914member
    excluding airfare my first trip to europe ran about 1000 dollars for roughly three weeks. we only stayed in a youth hostel once. if you are willing to look for the best (ie cheapest but not sacrificing on too much quality) places to stay in the cities, its very doable... In Paris we first looked at what I think will become a notorious local called Bed and Breakfast (they really werent lying, the bed was a triple bunk and there was a breakfast that you cooked yourself, and there were at least twenty people per room)... Ultimately we stayed in a hotel that cost roughly 10 dollars a night per person with a convienant laudromat next door... It was a bit shaby but clean and we werent there to spend our time in the room...

look at the lonely planet guide and aim for the low to intermediate cost hotels... saving money by not sleeping in the ritz makes the rest of the trip far more managable...
  • Reply 28 of 54
    Quote:

Originally posted by Alex London

Anders that's fabulous, we've never done a city break in (unified) Germany before, i think you might have just persuaded me. Scott, did you really do everything whilst in Amsterdam?

We may have. Name something. We didn't do the Heineken plant tour.
  • Reply 29 of 54
    billybobskybillybobsky Posts: 1,914member
    Quote:

We may have. Name something. We didn't do the Heineken plant tour.

i believe mr london is refering to the wacky weed bars and the concomidant wacky weed usage...
  • Reply 30 of 54
    shetlineshetline Posts: 4,695member
    Quote:

Originally posted by billybobsky

i believe mr london is refering to the wacky weed bars and the concomidant wacky weed usage...

I was imagining something more like Scott dressed as a cheerleader while shooting heroin with a transexual hooker after getting back from a peace rally.

He did say everything except the Heineken tour, right?
  • Reply 31 of 54
    No I didn't try the coffee shops. I don't do that stuff here why would I bother over there.

BUT I did see the bondage gear roller blading guy. He was ah ... roller blading in bondage gear. They say he's well known.
  • Reply 32 of 54
    outsideroutsider Posts: 6,008member
    Quote:

BUT I did see the bondage gear roller blading guy. He was ah ... roller blading in bondage gear. They say he's well known.

That describes 1 out of 10 people in LA.
  • Reply 33 of 54
    haraldharald Posts: 2,152member
    ENJOY dude!!!

The best thing to do in Paris is to CHILL. Find a cafe and sit in the mother for hours watching things occur.

That and get an education in food and wine at the restos and markets.

Have a great trip.
  • Reply 34 of 54
    burningwheelburningwheel Posts: 1,827member
    Quote:

Okay so last night while I was trying to sleep the cost of 10 days was spinning in my head. So I asked the wife to cut it back. We're at about 5 or 6 days now. She never thinks about cost.

why bother then 5-6 days doesn't seem like long at all, esp with airtime included
  • Reply 35 of 54
    buonrottobuonrotto Posts: 6,368member
    Enjoy the $16 calimari appetizer I once enjoyed by the Bastille. By now it should only cost $25.
  • Reply 36 of 54
    gycgyc Posts: 90member
    Quote:

Originally posted by shetline

I don't know about Scott, but there's a good chance that about three years from now I'll be in Egypt, or even Libya.

Hint as to why: The year would be 2006. I've been in Africa once before -- Zambia in 2001.

You're going to be participating in the Special Olympics?
  • Reply 37 of 54
    giaguaragiaguara Posts: 2,724member
    Quote:

No I didn't try the coffee shops. I don't do that stuff here why would I bother over there.

What annoys me is they don't have _the_ coffee shops at Amsterdam airport. When i need to change flights etc, I'd rather spend my time high whilst i can do it legally, just for the pleasure of doing it.

Still - Scott what made you change your mind so quickly about Paris? I still remember... ... \
  • Reply 38 of 54
    What do you mean change my mind?
  • Reply 39 of 54
    giaguaragiaguara Posts: 2,724member
    Quote:

What do you mean change my mind?

so you have not changed your mind? i think i would go nowhere of where my first idea as the city is that they beat up a group (any group of) of people.
  • Reply 40 of 54
    Yea well those French people should be ready because I have a camera and a powerbook.