MacOS X bug - it's changing keyboard layout on me!

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
I used to think it was me hitting some weird key combination but today just mousing around, 10.2.6 changed to Czech layout on me! I have all the layouts in that menu because I like seeing the flags and I have 640 RAM so why not. Czech is next down from US so I figured I was hitting a weird key combo but now I know for sure this is a bug. Anyone else see this?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 11
    Are you sure?

By the way, the amount or RAM you have would have no effect of this.
  • Reply 2 of 11
    paulpaul Posts: 5,278member
    there IS a bug somewhere tho. because after running cocktail and restarting, without fail every time my layout gets reset to US instead of Dvorak... kinda a pain in the ass...

not only that but I have to go into the international prefpane to force the layout menu to appear (note, my selections for this menu are still present, but they are not in the menu bar...)
  • Reply 3 of 11
    aquaticaquatic Posts: 5,602member
    I was half kidding about me liking to look at the flags and taking up RAM. I keep it in case someone from my college wants to use my comp and a different layout. I could swear I unchecked that in the process of setting up my computer when I got it but it was checked, I'll see if persists but maybe you should change the title of the thread to Oops my bad! tsk tsk is that a Theme I spy Brad? Which one is it?
  • Reply 4 of 11
    netromacnetromac Posts: 863member
    Paul, try this
  • Reply 5 of 11
    ghost_user_nameghost_user_name Posts: 22,667member
    Theme? What are you talking about? I'm still on Mac OS 7.5 running Aaron!.
  • Reply 6 of 11
    defiantdefiant Posts: 4,876member
    Brad's the Theme-Master. He was there when you were hanging at your mama's boobs (), so shut up.

I had to say that.
  • Reply 7 of 11
    The Command Space shortcut should be able to be turned off, and off by default. What if the cat jumps on Grandma's keyboard? She's going to send it to Texas to have the keyboard layout changed? Just my 2¢

Defiant it's been 19 years since then but only a few since I was swinging from your m...just kidding. I kid because I love! And Brad when are you going to make a System 7 Theme for OS X man!
  • Reply 8 of 11
    1337_5l4xx0r1337_5l4xx0r Posts: 1,558member
    After some restarts (but not all), mt keyboard layout keeps getting 'reset' to Canadian-CSA. I have to open Keyboard prefs, select Canadian-CSA, deselect it, and then it goes away, defaulting to US. This is a seriously annoying bug, particularly because at no point have I ever used or wanted a keyboard layout other than default/US.

grrr!!!
  • Reply 9 of 11
    cubecube Posts: 142member
    Quote:

Originally posted by 1337_5L4Xx0R

After some restarts (but not all), mt keyboard layout keeps getting 'reset' to Canadian-CSA. I have to open Keyboard prefs, select Canadian-CSA, deselect it, and then it goes away, defaulting to US. This is a seriously annoying bug, particularly because at no point have I ever used or wanted a keyboard layout other than default/US.

grrr!!!

I have the same prob and its realy annoying, if i use special norwegian caracters in my password.
  • Reply 10 of 11
    anamacanamac Posts: 80member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Aquatic

I used to think it was me hitting some weird key combination but today just mousing around, 10.2.6 changed to Czech layout on me! I have all the layouts in that menu because I like seeing the flags and I have 640 RAM so why not. Czech is next down from US so I figured I was hitting a weird key combo but now I know for sure this is a bug. Anyone else see this?

At least you are not as paranoid as a recent letter writer in one of the Mac mags from France. His keyboard switched to US English, and he was sure it was malicious code introduced by Apple in the 10.2.6 update as a kind of anti-France thing
  • Reply 11 of 11

I still swear it's doing it without me hitting the button, and the weird thing is even when I'm using DQ Dvorak Quwerty to practice the ol' Dvorak it jumps to Czech which isn't next in line, it's the top of a bunch of other layouts below US.