Congo: EU to send peacekeeping force

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
EU approves Congo peacekeeping force. - BBC click

The French-led peacekeeping force, which received United Nations Security Council approval last Friday, will comprise about 1,400 personnel and is due to start deploying at the end of this week.

It is estimated that 50,000 people have died in tribals wars in Congo since 1998.

Here's hoping they can get something done.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 43
    enaena Posts: 667member
    OH NO!!! THEY'RE LYING---IT'S A TRICK!!!!

THEY'RE JUST AFTER THE OIL!!!!!!

THE ALIENS ARE COMING!!! THE ALIENS ARE COMING!!!!
  • Reply 2 of 43
    newnew Posts: 3,244member
    Quote:

Originally posted by groverat

EU approves Congo peacekeeping force. - BBC click

The French-led peacekeeping force, which received United Nations Security Council approval last Friday, will comprise about 1,400 personnel and is due to start deploying at the end of this week.

It is estimated that 50,000 people have died in tribals wars in Congo since 1998.

Here's hoping they can get something done.

It will be interesting to see the results. Still this is like fighting fire. If nothing is done to prevent new fires, then no progress has been made.
  • Reply 3 of 43
    I just hope they dont run into those nasty apes while searching for Diamonds.

• Reply 4 of 43
    giantgiant Posts: 6,041member
    I'm sure a small lightly armed force is going to do a lot of good.
  • Reply 5 of 43
    thttht Posts: 5,441member
    Good luck.
  • Reply 6 of 43
    The Franco-Belgian-German-Luxembourgian(?) Coalition of the Willing would have been perfect for this one though I suppose they must not be ready yet to take on such a major task.
  • Reply 7 of 43
    groveratgroverat Posts: 10,872member
    I think a small and even lightly armed force could do some good if utilized properly.

Good luck, indeed.
  • Reply 8 of 43
    powerdocpowerdoc Posts: 8,123member
    Good luck to everyone or every group who try to bring peace in this world.

PS : AO is not excluded in this wish
  • Reply 9 of 43
    der kopfder kopf Posts: 2,275member
    Quote:

Originally posted by ColanderOfDeath

The Franco-Belgian-German-Luxembourgian(?) Coalition of the Willing would have been perfect for this one though I suppose they must not be ready yet to take on such a major task.

Hate to bust your bubble, but Belgium is not one of the willing, although we have reached the point in which we will 'consider' partaking in a mission led by someone else.
  • Reply 10 of 43
    It would only be right for Belgium to be in on the Congo peacekeeping missions.
  • Reply 11 of 43
    fellowshipfellowship Posts: 5,038member
    Quote:

Actually the figure is more around 250,000 deaths directly related to the wars. However the number of people that have died in Congo as a result of the wars numbers around +/- 2,000,000. It is really a tragedy and the world community has been missing in action. Peace keepers are not enough to solve this crisis.

Fellowship
  • Reply 12 of 43
    scottscott Posts: 7,431member
    I don't like the unilateral nature of the EU these days. This is an illegal military action.
  • Reply 13 of 43
    The UN approved.

But if you want to get anti-EU political about it you can definitely note how European imperialism is the cause of a ton of these African problems and that only small efforts like these are made to fix those problems.
  • Reply 14 of 43
    der kopfder kopf Posts: 2,275member
    Quote:

The UN approved.

But if you want to get anti-EU political about it you can definitely note how European imperialism is the cause of a ton of these African problems and that only small efforts like these are made to fix those problems.

I'm looking forward to your dissertation.
  • Reply 15 of 43
    matsumatsu Posts: 6,558member
    Well, it's true, America learned from the best.
  • Reply 16 of 43
    haraldharald Posts: 2,152member
    Yep, Europe fukced Africa.

Badly.

The least we can do is treat Africans like people worthy of protection.
  • Reply 17 of 43
    tulkastulkas Posts: 3,757member
    New was right in saying this is like fighting a fire. However, the way they are doing it is like trying to put out a forest fire by spitting at it. A very small contingent of peace-keepers can't do anything in this case. Isn't there already a comparably sized group there now (Pakistani?) who haven't been to able quell any of the fighting. Go in an put it down, or you are just going to the motions of acting like you are trying to help.
  • Reply 18 of 43
    scottscott Posts: 7,431member
    Wait wait I'm congfused! Where's the thoughtless knee jerk anti-Americanism?
  • Reply 19 of 43
    bungebunge Posts: 7,329member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Scott

Wait wait I'm congfused! Where's the thoughtless knee jerk anti-...?

You're thoughtless enough for the rest of us...
  • Reply 20 of 43
    brbr Posts: 8,395member
    Quote:

Originally posted by bunge

You're thoughtless enough for the rest of us...

ZIIIIIIIIING!