Jesus

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Who was Jesus and what were his motives?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 178
    Oh man... I don't like where this thread is gonna go... personally, for me, I voted for the first one, as it is my faith.

I'm out of this thread before everyone gets eaten alive!
  • Reply 2 of 178
    billybobskybillybobsky Posts: 1,914member
    You know it wasnt Jesus that made him Him. It was the writers of the new testament that did that and the people who believed selectively the stories they were told. Ceasar was as great a miracle caster as Jesus was, it just happens that Ceaser represented THE MAN and Jesus represented the pleblians, that and it was vogue to believe something different than the official doctrine in rome...

or is that a 20th century redition of the jew boy christian messiah and muslim profit...

• Reply 3 of 178
    shetlineshetline Posts: 4,695member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Existence

None of the above. Something between choice #4 and a real historical figure from which the myth was derived.
  • Reply 4 of 178
    brbr Posts: 8,395member
    That whole jesus is his own daddy thing always gave me the creeps.
  • Reply 5 of 178
    aquafireaquafire Posts: 2,758member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Existence

If you want to mock..go ahead....

Would love you to post a similar set of remarks for Mahommet & see how far you get ?

But if you want to truly open your eyes..then you are welcome....

http://www.urantia.org

&

http://www..truthbook.org

But somehow I doubt you'll have either the moral fibre or the honesty to study those two links...

But that is why we are free-will creatures....\
  • Reply 6 of 178
    buonrottobuonrotto Posts: 6,368member
    Anything less cynical to choose?
  • Reply 7 of 178
    Quote:

Originally posted by aquafire

If you want to mock..go ahead....

Would love you to post a similar set of remarks for Mahommet & see how far you get ?

But if you want to truly open your eyes..then you are welcome....

http://www.urantia.org

&

http://www..truthbook.org

But somehow I doubt you'll have either the moral fibre or the honesty to study those two links...

But that is why we are free-will creatures....\

Bah you are getting to be worse than fship when it comes to evangelizing.

Quote:

Yes, speak down to those you are trying to convert. That helps.
  • Reply 8 of 178
    enaena Posts: 667member
    The thing with Jesus is that, on the one hand he had arguably the best advice in how to deal with yourself and others, but on the other, he claimed to be the Son of God. He is either who he said he was or he was a nutcase.

Choose carefully.
  • Reply 9 of 178
    murbotmurbot Posts: 5,262member
    I love you, BR. *high five*

• Reply 10 of 178
    Quote:

Originally posted by billybobsky

Ceasar was as great a miracle caster as Jesus was, it just happens that Ceaser represented THE MAN and Jesus represented the pleblians, that and it was vogue to believe something different than the official doctrine in rome...

Historically, he preached nonviolence---not what the Jews were wanting at that moment in history. Certainly not what brought down Jerusalem in 66A.D. (But then, do we really know that Jospehus was there?)
  • Reply 11 of 178
    Look, the real reason christianity took off is simple: marketing. Christianity is quite frankly a better product than Judaism. It answers more questions, provides a reason to stay (heaven), and a deterrent to leave (hell). It also appeals to man's inherent laziness since it is not works that gets you into heaven but rather faith. You have no responsibility because the sky daddy's son (which is himself...so damn weird) already took the fall for you.
  • Reply 12 of 178
    giaguaragiaguara Posts: 2,724member
    5. A Jew that lived about 2000 years ago, and that got pretty close to the illumination.
  • Reply 13 of 178
    fangornfangorn Posts: 323member
    I make no apologies for believing Jesus is the Son of God.
  • Reply 14 of 178
    Quote:

Originally posted by Earl

I love you, BR. *high five*

Ahh, how sweet. Let this salmon express my feelings of joy.

Also:

• Reply 15 of 178
    Quote:

Originally posted by BR

Look, the real reason christianity took off is simple: marketing. Christianity is quite frankly a better product than Judaism. It answers more questions, provides a reason to stay (heaven), and a deterrent to leave (hell). It also appeals to man's inherent laziness since it is not works that gets you into heaven but rather faith. You have no responsibility because the sky daddy's son (which is himself...so damn weird) already took the fall for you.

C'mon BR, that was THE WORST oversimplified train-wreck synopsis of Christianity I have EVER heard.

Christianity was pretty offensive to the early Romans---they called the Christians "atheists." Christianity was pretty much ass-backwards from the Greek thinking they were into.
  • Reply 16 of 178
    Quote:

Originally posted by ena

C'mon BR, that was THE WORST oversimplified train-wreck synopsis of Christianity I have EVER heard.

It's merely truth. Christianity has a competetive advantage over Judaism for the reasons I stated.
  • Reply 17 of 178
    Quote:

Originally posted by BR

Ahh, how sweet. Let this salmon express my feelings of joy.

You are a silly boy.

But then I did have my freshly killed, fresh King (chinook for you neophytes) on the grill last night. I wiped that toothy grin right off his face.....

"...ONE OF THESE DAYS, I'M GOING TO CUT YOU UP INTO LITTLE PIECES!!"
  • Reply 18 of 178
    buonrottobuonrotto Posts: 6,368member
    Quote:

Originally posted by billybobsky

or is that a 20th century re[n]dition of the jew boy christian messiah and muslim profit...

PS: it's "prophet." We're not discussing Jim Bakker's timeshares in heaven ruse.
  • Reply 19 of 178
    anandanand Posts: 285member
    Does it matter? What is important is that the new testament is a wonderful story that can stand on its own. It is a great story that everyone can get a positive message from. Unfortunately the majority of people who claim to be religious and christian are far from that story. But that is true of most all religions.
  • Reply 20 of 178
    Quote:

Originally posted by anand

Does it matter? What is important is that the new testament is a wonderful story that can stand on its own. It is a great story that everyone can get a positive message from. Unfortunately the majority of people who claim to be religious and christian are far from that story. But that is true of most all religions.

Sure, there are some good stories in there with some good lessons, however, I don't see how the core of the new testament is positive at all. It blatantly shirks personal responsibility. One man shouldn't bear all the sins for mankind. People needs to be responsible for their own actions.

I'm sorry, but a story that keeps Gandhi out of heaven but lets in a death row inmate that found jesus just sickens me.