Robotics first steps......and our last breaths

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Wired Article: Advanced Robotics

Knowing what we know, we are still trying to create machines that mimic humans. Have we not already seen the outcome of the this problematic solution. Many stories have been writen, many movies have been produced, yet we still strive to create the perfect artificial intelligence. Im sure it will take us fifty more years before our technology reaches the atomic level. When quantum mechanics blesses us with an artificial lifeform that surpasses human intelligence, maybe we will blow our selves up before then.

Our maybe not, maybe instead of creating that which will take our place we will be part of the machine. We have already started inplanting crude electronics into our bodies for the hope of survival. The process is slow right now, but wait untill we are able to create nano machines that acutally work. What path we are on no one can see. What fuels this unending passion to create life and to create that which will destroy it is tough to answer. Many will ignore, but a few of you know that we are headed for this dark future. I am only a voice, but someday my voice will be echoed through millions.

Just look around through your daily lives, look at what you do everyday. Ask yourself, can i live without these machines. Or can i live with them as a part of me. We are the gods on this planet, i see no other dominant species, besides what we are creating....our destruction........geist

Comments

• Reply 1 of 11
    telomartelomar Posts: 1,804member
    Quote:

Originally posted by dmgeist

Knowing what we know, we are still trying to create machines that mimic humans. Have we not already seen the outcome of the this problematic solution. Many stories have been writen, many movies have been produced, yet we still strive to create the perfect artificial intelligence.

You do realise books and movies aren't always factual representations of anything right? It'd hardly be a very interesting movie if it was a perfect world full of robots with advanced AIs and that was it. Much more interesting when they start to kill us.
  • Reply 2 of 11
    scottscott Posts: 7,431member
    Robots are going to kill us Ahhhhhhhhhh!
  • Reply 3 of 11
    junkyard dawgjunkyard dawg Posts: 2,801member
    Quote:

Originally posted by dmgeist

Wired Article: Advanced Robotics

Knowing what we know, we are still trying to create machines that mimic humans. Have we not already seen the outcome of the this problematic solution.

d00d I saw the Terminator, whoa! that's what will happen if we make too many robots so we better not be stoopidz!

but if the bots take control, we can send someone back in time to fix it all. Worst case, we all get put in a matrix, but then we all have our own Pods so it won't be so bad, and we get to have sex with hot babe programs too.
  • Reply 4 of 11
    existenceexistence Posts: 991member
    I really do hope that nanotechnology advances to such a level that it is self sustaining. A symbiotic relationship between humans and machines must take place as it is the next logical step of human evolution. Every biologist knows that biological evolution in humans is now non-existent because of genetic diffusion. No isolated groups of human populations remain for sufficient and sustainable macroevolution. We're doomed as a species because we have stopped evoluting. Genetic engineering has promise but I think will ultimately play only a surrogate role to technology.

Think Borg. I think that it is the next step in human evolution. Today it's pacemakers and artificial hearts, tomorrow's it's nanotechnology fighting cancers and maintaining our arteries. I think in a few centuries, with advanced genetic engineering and nonatechnology, this vision will be realized. We'll be able to genetically engineer our brains to lend themselves to interface with technology in such a way that the Borg collective will seem positively primitive.
  • Reply 5 of 11
    curiousuburbcuriousuburb Posts: 3,325member
    the cyborg 1.0 first steps were noted by WIRED in 2000

visit the professor's site directly and read about cyborg 2.0

as for robotics, Robodex 2003 recently wrapped up in Japan. Awaiting the video updates.

2002 spawned a groovy flash/qt site full of cool robot video clips.

some here but the original, Robotbox - bottom link- seems to be offline

found a nifty UK walk-on contestant... Shadow Robot

and there are some waay cool mini-bots the size of pencil erasers that cluster...
  • Reply 6 of 11
    bartobarto Posts: 2,246member
    Are you high?
  • Reply 7 of 11
    defjefdefjef Posts: 62member
    "We here at Old Glory Life Insurance want to protect you from the evil robots. As we all know robots derive their energy from your prescriptions...." or something like that.. I can't quite remember it.

ah Saturday Night Live before it all turned to crap.
  • Reply 8 of 11
    thinking robotic telescopes might or might not warn us of impending asteroid doom, depending on your code 'laws' and perspective

*Paging Mr. Asimov... please pick up the RTML courtesy phone*
  • Reply 9 of 11
    thuh freakthuh freak Posts: 2,664member
    i dont fear the unholy wrath of robots. if/when someone makes a creature capable of such "artificial" thoughts, they could certainly cripple its capabilities wrt hurting man. if i was going to make an unholy robot, i would atleast guarantee that it wasn't going to hurt me or anyone else (that i didn't deliberately instruct it to hurt). when a person creates the ai, they have complete and total control over it, and can add whatever borders and ranges they please; like, ecessively affection for mankind, so as not to hurt us. of course, i assume that the ai isn't made by some evil supervillain who is hell bent on destroying the world as we know it.
  • Reply 10 of 11
    excerpts from the book Terminators

Quote:

Terminators.

Subject(s): ARTIFICIAL intelligence

Source: Rolling Stone, 6/10/93 Issue 658, Technopop p14, 6p, 2c

Author(s): Dery, Mark

Abstract:

Discusses the future of robotics, as seen through the eyes of the field's two visionary roboticisits, Rodney Brooks and Hans Moravec. Brooks' bottom-up approach to artificial intelligence; His belief that sensorimotor skills, not higher-level thought processes, are the foundation on which intelligence is built; The insect-like robots he foresees in the future; Moravec's study of mobile systems, manipulators, computer vision and programming; More.

AN: 9306070051

ISSN: 0035-791X

Database: Academic Search Elite

touches on some of the issues raised above

:edit cranky URL. damn illegal character filenames. try

http://faculty.bus.olemiss.edu/breit...erminators.htm

or *grrr* the bottom link from this Google Search
  • Reply 11 of 11
    Robots are nothing without AI...which doesn't exist. Right now, one of the smartest robots out there is MIT's Kismet. Kismet has the recognition ability of a two year old. As far as programming intelligence into a robot, it would take dozens of programmers centuries to get a robot to the intellectual ability of a two year old. i don't think we have a whole lot to worry about. And if we do, we can always count on "the one"...he he he.