Don't disappoint yourself

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
hoping for a G5. We've all been there before expecting something and not getting anything.

I mean look at Ginger. I personally think it's cool, but many others were expecting the invention of a new energy source.

Plan on seeing a 1GHz G4 tower, and a 900 mhz G3 iMac in the current form factor at the most and anything above that would be a bonus.

Start dreaming of 1.6 GHz G5's and you'll end up back at these forums a week after MWSF, complaining about how far behind Apple is.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 10
    powerdocpowerdoc Posts: 8,123member
    [quote]Originally posted by satchmo:

<strong>hoping for a G5. We've all been there before expecting something and not getting anything.

I mean look at Ginger. I personally think it's cool, but many others were expecting the invention of a new energy source.

Plan on seeing a 1GHz G4 tower, and a 900 mhz G3 iMac in the current form factor at the most and anything above that would be a bonus.

Start dreaming of 1.6 GHz G5's and you'll end up back at these forums a week after MWSF, complaining about how far behind Apple is.</strong><hr></blockquote>

you speak, like a wise man, but what you say is a little boring, even if we don't expect G5 we expect more than simply a little speed bump, we want a major revision of the mobo with some new features.
  • Reply 2 of 10
    satchmosatchmo Posts: 2,699member
    I am wise.

While a speed bump is boring, it'll be that much greater of a thrill when we get something more.

I too hope for more but just don't get into a tizzy over what's around the corner. You'll end up doing that in all aspects of your life.
  • Reply 3 of 10
    Yes, lets not let those crazy imaginations run wild. That would be dangerous. We should just hope for mediocrity and lower our expectations to avoid disapointment.

please... next you will be telling us to stop wasting our time on a forum and to get back to work.
  • Reply 4 of 10
    It's not an issue of hoping for less and getting more. I just believe in being productive with what's available, when it's available.

The problem is some take it to a point of fanatisicm when dreaming about what is next. They seek out every thread regarding rumours and new chip designs.

Actually, some should get back to work.

Perhaps if some spent less time dreaming about the next great thing, they'd get more work done on their "lowly" G4.
  • Reply 5 of 10
    I would argue that any time spent on a mac future hardware forum is unproductive. It is a fun waste of time, pure and simple. If you want hard concrete facts about whats coming wait until its here.

You do have a point, however, about some posters blowing any little thing out of porportion... I don't know how many threads have started because motorola announced some new chip fab process expected in like 2009 and someone pipes up with "this is going to be in the next G4 I just know it" (mosr I'm looking in your direction)
  • Reply 6 of 10
    jjjj Posts: 48member
    My "lowly" g4 doesn't perform very well with maya at this point. Maybe with some real processing and graphics card power I would get more work done.

This argument could go either way.

[ 12-04-2001: Message edited by: jj ]</p>
  • Reply 7 of 10
    Geez, I'm getting a little tired of people telling me that my mac is more than adequate for my needs. Let me be the judge of that, please. I toss around fairly large graphics files for a living... I think I can figure out how to use the rumored speed increases to come with the G5 just fine, thanks.

I've said it before, and I'll say it again: I don't give a crap about chip speed vs. Intel, but for godsake, it's not wrong to expect some fricken' progress from model release to model release on my platform of choice.
  • Reply 8 of 10
    Can't speak for anyone else here, but I don't think it's too much to hope for a major iMac revision. Apple could keep the G4 for a bit if it grows to 1.0-1.4 GHz or so - OS X uses AltiVec fairly well. So the G5 is really not concerning me...have a feeling we'll see it by summer at the latest anyway. iBook and TiBook are newly updated...if there's anything that is just plain in need of a refresh it's the iMac, sales show it, and you know Apple wants to bring it out ASAP too. A shiny new low-cost and awesome-looking machine is what Apple is going to want to drive sales during this bit of an economic downturn.

M
  • Reply 9 of 10
    [quote]Originally posted by jj:

<strong>

This argument could go either way.

]</strong><hr></blockquote>

I agree we need ongoing improvements in Appledom, but deal with what you have. If it's not enough, and you envy PC specs, go for it.

My comments were really directed to those who wouldn't know what to do with the power if they had it.

You know those who need to justify to their PC friends that they have the fastest machine on earth getting "x" amount of frames in Quake, etc...
  • Reply 10 of 10
    Guys... I don't see how this thread is really necessary. There are plenty of other threads about being conservative and not getting overly hyped about MWSF.