Virus Software for OS X?

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
Should I get Norton 9 or Virex?

I need 50 copies for OS 9 and X, and I can't decide which one to buy. Any comments?

Can I get Virex for OS 9?

How can I tell when my current NAV 7 and 8 definition subscriptions expire?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 13
    addisonaddison Posts: 1,185member
    Why would you want anti-virus software for OSX?
  • Reply 2 of 13
    dstranathandstranathan Posts: 1,717member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Addison

Why would you want anti-virus software for OSX?

Because my PC-centric (and justifiably paranoid) corporate powers-that-be MANDATE anti-virus software as part of their IT fault-tolerence policies. Why else? Makes sense, afterall, someday SOMEBODY is gonna write viri for OS X. I don't wanna be the guy to clean up after all 50 of my Macs get clobbered...
  • Reply 3 of 13
    ghost_user_nameghost_user_name Posts: 22,667member
    Wow, what ignorance. The IT guys, not you.

Virex will do fine for OSX. Just don't get Norton. I don't know about 9.

The definitions don't really "expire". They do, however, have a downloadable update on a monthly basis.
  • Reply 4 of 13
    aquaticaquatic Posts: 5,602member
    I've read about issues with Virex as well. Have you explained to the staff that there are 0 virii for OS X, and not only that but if there were, what would they do on a UNIX system? They wouldn't have permissions most likely, in a lab setting, since you're not logged in as root.
  • Reply 5 of 13
    netromacnetromac Posts: 863member
    AV9 recognizes windows virii as well, something that can stop you from sending windows virii off to wintel users. Does virex have this ability?
  • Reply 6 of 13
    The only problem with Virex on OSX is that the developers stole from the fink project and the files it installs in /sw can screw up stuff you've installed with fink.

I don't think an update has been released to fix *cough*cover up*cough* McAffee's mistake.

I agree with Aquatic, though, about pushing the "0 existing viruses" ballot and mentioning Mac OS X's Unix heritage. Good luck. Hopefully they'll see the light and won't waste a bucketload of money that could probably be put to MUCH better use than a utility that sits and scans for nothing.
  • Reply 7 of 13
    Quote:

Originally posted by NETROMac

AV9 recognizes windows virii as well, something that can stop you from sending windows virii off to wintel users. Does virex have this ability?

Yes.
  • Reply 8 of 13
    Please...do yourself a favor..stay away from norton! Causes all kinds of havoc! Virex for me, so far, has been ok. The intial scan of the whole system takes for bloody ever. But once you get that done, it does it's job well. I don't use fink, so I cannot comment on the aspect of it messing up virex. So if you don't use fink, then you should be fine!
  • Reply 9 of 13
    I thought they fixed the problem with fink. It was the update that also gave you the ability to update Virex without having to download separate virus definition files.
  • Reply 10 of 13
    Ah yes, I hadn't used Virex since 7.2 was released (even then, just for testing).

It looks like the 7.2.1 patch fixed the conflict with fink.
  • Reply 11 of 13
    netromacnetromac Posts: 863member
    I haven't used any virus protection software with OS X yet. I have one question though. Have anybody tried AV9 and had any problems. The reason I ask this is because my DSL provider is letting me have AV for free. Should I give it a try, or should I get virex instead???
  • Reply 12 of 13
    ast3r3xast3r3x Posts: 5,012member
    man how long can OS X go without a virus...its been what, how many years? haha its interesting to see old windows virus' still work with XP

i think MS lies, i think XP has the same underlying DOS as all the other ones, they just try to hide this
  • Reply 13 of 13
    aquaticaquatic Posts: 5,602member
    I thought AI was never going to "stoop" to having avatars brad...

If you have to get a "virus" utility have them buy TechTool Pro 4, I believe it does that as well as other useful things.