Real PC in trouble? M$ sends Cease & Desist.

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
I was poking around the MacNN forums looking for info on the RealPC beta

and ran across this post by 'FWBSales':

Quote:

The release of Real PC and the software formerly known as Softwindows, now PowerWindows is now scheduled for July... Microsoft sent us a Cease and Desist letter. One must be careful when scrutinized by their attorneys.

Damn! I'm really looking to give this new software a try. If any of the hype is even close true it'll rock.

Anyone here have any more info on what the Cease & Desist is all about?

[edit:] Link to MacNN thread.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 15
    jlljll Posts: 2,713member
    Quote:

Originally posted by 709

I was poking around the MacNN forums looking for info on the RealPC beta

and ran across this post by 'FWBSales':

Damn! I'm really looking to give this new software a try. If any of the hype is even close true it'll rock.

Anyone here have any more info on what the Cease & Desist is all about?

[edit:] Link to MacNN thread.

The Windows in the product name?
  • Reply 2 of 15
    709709 Posts: 2,016member
    Quote:

Originally posted by JLL

The Windows in the product name?

Didn't the 'Lindows' judge rule that 'Windows' was too common a word to be trademarked....or is that court case still going on?
  • Reply 3 of 15
    fahlmanfahlman Posts: 740member
    They should call it SoftX86. Isn't it a software emulator of the X86 instruction set? The X could also indicate OS X.
  • Reply 4 of 15
    majormattmajormatt Posts: 1,077member
    How about

iThinkImaPC v1.0
  • Reply 5 of 15
    junkyard dawgjunkyard dawg Posts: 2,801member
    How about iSuck?
  • Reply 6 of 15
    netromacnetromac Posts: 863member
    Why can they call it PowerWindows but not Softwindows?? How about FloppyWindows instead
  • Reply 7 of 15
    thegeldingthegelding Posts: 3,230member
    how about if they call it BRUTUS...to remind us that it is emulation of windows, which is not only bloatware, but is also a big hairy bully who covets what others have/can do and who also has a glass jaw and gets its butt kicked regularly by the skinny underdog popeye...

g

• Reply 8 of 15
    OK, I'll come clean. I'm only interested in this because of its fabled hardware (and video card) emulation and I reeeeeaaally don't want to buy a PC just to play Half-Life 2.
  • Reply 9 of 15
    spotcatbugspotcatbug Posts: 195member
    Quote:

Originally posted by 709

and I reeeeeaaally don't want to buy a PC just to play Half-Life 2.

Is there a rumor that PowerWindows (or whatever the name will be) will be good enough to pull that off?!?!

I'd be ultra-impressed and surprised if you could play HL2 (at an OK frame rate) on PowerWindows.
  • Reply 10 of 15
    Well, it was an interview over at MacDoobiDoo that got my panties all wet in the first place:

Quote:

We intend to make this program the fastest emulation product on the market, and fare developing direct hardware acceleration with our graphics. Not emulation, but true hardware speeds.

Technically, does this mean that with an ATI 9700 in the Macintosh will be emulated as an ATI 9700 in RealPC ?

Yes, that is what we are working on... After all, what is the point of having a great graphics card if you can't play games on it in either Mac or PC mode.

Could be market-drone-hype though.
  • Reply 11 of 15
    discocowdiscocow Posts: 603member
    From what I understand, the thing that keeps (kept ) Virtual PC from being kinda-almost-barley snappy? is the lack of graphics card support. So it would be exiting if this the marketing bullshit turned out to be kinda-almost-barley true.

As far as gaming goes, I remember playing a full-screen (640 x 480 I think) 3D game (Genome from Seventh level; circa 1997(?)) on my iMac DV400 via Virtual PC 4.0 in OS 9 (Windows 98 with at least 192 megs ?o? ram allocated to it.)

IT WAS PLAYABLE!

I mean really playable. It didn?t exactly run like a slut, but it ran it well enough to be perfectly enjoyable (as long as baby-sitting your lame ass wingmen didn?t drive you to madness in the process)

Of course, zsnes runs about as fast as a dead walrus.
  • Reply 12 of 15
    amoryaamorya Posts: 1,103member
    Ages ago, I played Age of Empires II on a Pismo at a LAN party using Virtual PC 3. It ran really well - easily matching the speed of the PCs there (most around 5-800 mhz). I think I managed to coax it into running Alien vs Predator as well, but that was a bit jerky.

Amorya
  • Reply 13 of 15
    chuckerchucker Posts: 5,089member
    Is it actually *possible* to enable the physical graphics adapter to work with emulated applications, though? It sounds like an extremely difficult task to accomplish to me.
  • Reply 14 of 15
    murbotmurbot Posts: 5,262member
    Quote:

Originally posted by thegelding

how about if they call it BRUTUS...

You rock, g.

heh heh