8.5 Installation/PM 6100 DOS-compatible?

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
Hi Guys and Gals,

My brother is having trouble installing OS 8.5 on a PM 6100. Is 16 Mgs of RAM enough? He is installing more and trying again. Any idaes?

Also, in checking the spec sheets for the 6100s, I came across this: 'Power Macintosh 6100/66 DOS Compatible'

What's the story on that?

Thanks,

Steve

Comments

• Reply 1 of 2
    jante99jante99 Posts: 539member
    Quote:

Originally posted by macmaniac

Hi Guys and Gals,

My brother is having trouble installing OS 8.5 on a PM 6100. Is 16 Mgs of RAM enough? He is installing more and trying again. Any idaes?

Also, in checking the spec sheets for the 6100s, I came across this: 'Power Macintosh 6100/66 DOS Compatible'

Thanks,

Steve

Wasn't there an add on card you could buy to get DOS to run?

I think my Dad had one of these and thought is was one of the worst computers he ever had.
  • Reply 2 of 2
    Quote:

Originally posted by macmaniac

Hi Guys and Gals,

As i remember, 8.5 need at least 24MB of RAM, but I suggest 32 for "good" (good is relative on a 6100) performance.

Quote:

Thanks,

Steve

DOS Compatible mean that you can buy a PC processor card and put it in your mac. then you can run window on an hardware and real PC card. But you're limited to 486-33mhz to 586 133mhz or something like that. It was usefull at that time because software emulator where real "junk" as opposed of today' VPC 6 performance...