Wright Brothers 1903 - 2003 Celebrations ?

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Unless I am completely mistaken..no one seems to be talking about the 100 year centenary....?

Is anything planned...?

You'd think the gratest invention for the last 100 years would kind of rate on the radar blip...

I'm baffled \

Comments

• Reply 1 of 11
    airslufairsluf Posts: 1,861member
  • Reply 2 of 11
    aquafireaquafire Posts: 2,758member
    Quote:

Originally posted by AirSluf

There's a whole bunch planned out at the Outer Banks. The Natl Park is selling tickets for December Celebrations, no ticket months in advance, no entry. They aren't expensive, just a way for them to accurately predict attendance as December would normlly be VERY off season.

Hmmmm Where to park my P-51 decisions decisions ?
  • Reply 3 of 11
    airslufairsluf Posts: 1,861member
  • Reply 4 of 11
    Quote:

Originally posted by AirSluf

I could keep the merlin warm for ya. Don't worry I'll treat it like my own!

Hmmm dreaming ...I hope theres gonna be a few spits & me-109's like the good ol days...

We could have a reel to reel sky brawl....Yee-har...
  • Reply 5 of 11
    Several airlines are celebrating by handing out to their employees special commerative slips of paper, kind of a salmon or perhaps even pink color, with the recipient's name embossed on each so that they can be redeemed in the immediate future for a permanent vacation. Although apparently these certificates are not hard to get a hold of, it is not a limited edition giveaway or anything like that.
  • Reply 6 of 11
    jeffyboyjeffyboy Posts: 1,055member
    Quote:

Originally posted by ColanderOfDeath

Several airlines are celebrating by handing out to their employees special commerative slips of paper, kind of a salmon or perhaps even pink color, with the recipient's name embossed on each so that they can be redeemed in the immediate future for a permanent vacation. Although apparently these certificates are not hard to get a hold of, it is not a limited edition giveaway or anything like that.

Nick at Nite ran some pretty funny ads about the 100th year of flight when they added Wings to their line-up, but that's the most I've heard about it.

Jeff
  • Reply 7 of 11
    Quote:

Originally posted by jeffyboy

Nick at Nite ran some pretty funny ads about the 100th year of flight when they added Wings to their line-up, but that's the most I've heard about it.

Jeff

Wished I's seen it..Still somehow I get the feeling that most of what is being organised is real tiddly winks stuff..Aviation IS the BIG thing..maybe everyone has taken it so for granted..Sigh..

But I will never loose my love of flying.....and all things avionic...So unless things change big time around here I will be lighting a few birthday candles by myself..And after a few drinks....AirSluf I will do a few barrel rolls in your honor...
  • Reply 8 of 11
    jrcjrc Posts: 817member
    Quote:

Originally posted by aquafire

Unless I am completely mistaken..no one seems to be talking about the 100 year centenary....?

Is anything planned...?

You'd think the gratest invention for the last 100 years would kind of rate on the radar blip...

I'm baffled \

Well, it's not like they are Dean Kamen. All they did was be first in flight. They could never figure out that two-wheel self-balancing scooter breakthrough.
  • Reply 9 of 11
    Quote:

Originally posted by JRC

Well, it's not like they are Dean Kamen. All they did was be first in flight. They could never figure out that two-wheel self-balancing scooter breakthrough.

be careful wahtcha sayin..the Red Baron is out there....

• Reply 10 of 11
    curiousuburbcuriousuburb Posts: 3,325member
    100 years ago civilians began powered flight into the atmosphere

Burt Rutan's team may mark the anniversary with first civilian spaceflight
  • Reply 11 of 11
    Quote:

Originally posted by curiousuburb

100 years ago civilians began powered flight into the atmosphere

Burt Rutan's team may mark the anniversary with first civilian spaceflight

That would be most excellent...