New text features in Panther?

bihbih
Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
This is from the WWDC workshop descriptions page[http://developer.apple.com/wwdc/descriptions.html]:

427 - Cocoa Text

Friday, June 27

5:00 PM - 6:30 PM

Room: Presidio

The text system has always been one of the central components of Cocoa, but this year it's getting some exciting new features that will make it more useful and powerful than ever. We'll briefly review the architecture of the Cocoa text system, then dive in and show you how to start making use of its new capabilities.

--

Anyone care to speculate?

See anything else interesting from the WWDC information page?

-bih

Comments

• Reply 1 of 24
    I don`t have anything to speculate but I would like to say that I`m more exited about this years wwdc than ever, Now that they have OS X to the point where its finially out of beta mode they can start playing around with all its cool features and really bring out some awesome things.
  • Reply 2 of 24
    webflitswebflits Posts: 58member
    Animated fonts?
  • Reply 3 of 24
    bartobarto Posts: 2,246member
    Quote:

Originally posted by WebFlits

Animated fonts?

My thoughts exactly.
  • Reply 4 of 24
    othelloothello Posts: 1,054member
    yak!
  • Reply 5 of 24
    netromacnetromac Posts: 863member
    How about less fuzzy anti-aliasing ???
  • Reply 6 of 24
    Quote:

Animated fonts?

I have one question. WHY ???
  • Reply 7 of 24
    webflitswebflits Posts: 58member
    Quote:

Originally posted by NETROMac

I have one question. WHY ???

Not animated in the form of characters jumping all over your screen.

Ever heard of GX TrueType?

<http://developer.apple.com/fonts/Too...E/TE1typo.html>

Perhaps we'll see the return of some cool Quickdraw GX stuff.
  • Reply 8 of 24
    Quote:

Not animated in the form of characters jumping all over your screen.

Ever heard of GX TrueType?

<http://developer.apple.com/fonts/Too...E/TE1typo.html>

Perhaps we'll see the return of some cool Quickdraw GX stuff.

Oh, I see . Sorry
  • Reply 9 of 24
    bartobarto Posts: 2,246member
    Apple already has the technology. It just isn't part of the OS yet.

http://www.apple.com/finalcutpro/fonts.html

Barto
  • Reply 10 of 24
    arbernautarbernaut Posts: 182member
    I can see a use for animated type in the context of Final Cut, but I suspect this new Cocoa Type is something entirely different. I'd seriously consider XP if every Mac app started singing and dancing with glowing text and animations. It's probably something deeper and more fundamental, such as improved text handling, displaying and managing.
  • Reply 11 of 24
    code mastercode master Posts: 344member
    Are we talking about things like Zaphino where Cocoa cn handle all the cool glyphs it uses? That is such a beautiful font!

I just learned something the other day about cocoa text selection (perhaps carbon too.. didn't check). If you click and drag, you select by character, if you double click and drag, you select by word, if you tripple click and drag you select by paragraph. I thought this was really neat!
  • Reply 12 of 24
    buonrottobuonrotto Posts: 6,368member
    There's a lot of nice features in Cocoa text. I imagine, they'll just add to them. For example, one that I use a lot is while you're typing, pressing control-t will flip the two characters on either side of your text cursor. So if I typed (and I did) "exmaple," placed the cursor between the m and the a, and typed control-t, the m and a would trade places, so it would read "example." There's a few of those control-letter commands in Cocoa text.
  • Reply 13 of 24
    arbernautarbernaut Posts: 182member
    That's pretty damn cool because I type "teh" all the time instead of "the"!!
  • Reply 14 of 24
    nitzernitzer Posts: 115member
    Cocoa text supports many (all?) of the EMACS commands. I don't know what any of them are, but I know that the text system supports them.

Me, I use VI.
  • Reply 15 of 24
    Quote:

Originally posted by Arbernaut

That's pretty damn cool because I type "teh" all the time instead of "the"!!

Speaking of teh, all of the great features that are going to be implemented with the font system probably won't be used by the Finder all that much (although it could utilize them), but more for making those features available to programs that would use them, such as FinalCutPro4.

So no switching to XP yet, (or ever...I'm getting out my ruler ! (so that I can lay the beat down) )
  • Reply 16 of 24
    Quote:

Originally posted by Nitzer

Cocoa text supports many (all?) of the EMACS commands. I don't know what any of them are, but I know that the text system supports them.

Me, I use VI.

Do you use the VI that comes with OS X DEV? If you do, that is amazing. It's different, well OK, OLDER than the one I am used to using.

VI rocks, but so does PICO...and EMACS is good too...I'm probably the only guy on earth who likes all three.
  • Reply 17 of 24
    cowerdcowerd Posts: 579member
    Would be nice if cocoa apps would use font kerning tables.
  • Reply 18 of 24
    drewpropsdrewprops Posts: 2,321member
    Be nice if the OS rendered typefaces in font menus, be really sweet for those of us who do a lot of design work and still wait for apps like Adobe Illustrator to deliver this feature.
  • Reply 19 of 24
    rokrok Posts: 3,519member
    Quote:

Originally posted by drewprops

Be nice if the OS rendered typefaces in font menus, be really sweet for those of us who do a lot of design work and still wait for apps like Adobe Illustrator to deliver this feature.

if it means anything, the guys at unsanity.com releaseda sneak peek at two updates to their utilities (i think the screenshots were on railheaddesign for a short time), and they will be bringing this feature back in one of their haxies (i would guess menu master, but it might be a new product entirely). they're also unlocking "minimize in place" which was in some of the earlier jaguar betas.
  • Reply 20 of 24
    frawgzfrawgz Posts: 547member
    Quote:

Originally posted by BuonRotto

There's a lot of nice features in Cocoa text. I imagine, they'll just add to them. For example, one that I use a lot is while you're typing, pressing control-t will flip the two characters on either side of your text cursor. So if I typed (and I did) "exmaple," placed the cursor between the m and the a, and typed control-t, the m and a would trade places, so it would read "example." There's a few of those control-letter commands in Cocoa text.

Hmm.. I tried this in TextEdit and it didn't work. What's up with that?