Comments

• Reply 1 of 21
    Quote:

Originally posted by thegelding

MTV sez it so it must be so

weeeeeeeeee

now more out of print and i will be a happy and poor man

g

in interviews jobs said he would include indies, he just had to get it up and running first. this is a boon to those little guys putting them on a level playing field with the big (slime) five.

another chip in the plinth of the record business as we know it.

hoorah!!
  • Reply 2 of 21
    lungarettalungaretta Posts: 194member
    i would say the sooner they open the shop to the rest of the world the better but given the current offering, i'm not that fussed.

the sooner they get warp records up the better (a la aphex twin, plaid, squarepusher and prefuse73)
  • Reply 3 of 21
    Hey Lungaretta , I didn't know you were into easy listening stuff
  • Reply 4 of 21
    Not really on topic but cool nonetheless. I was just watching Jack Johnson performing Wasting Time on Leno and went to download it at the Music Store. I clicked preview and the preview PERFECTLY synched to his performance on Leno...weird man. I just thought it was an interesting coincidence.
  • Reply 5 of 21
    lungarettalungaretta Posts: 194member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Dylsexic Manupilator

Hey Lungaretta , I didn't know you were into easy listening stuff

well you know, a lot of this new fangled music just doesn't have the same soul as some of the oldies
  • Reply 6 of 21
    cindercinder Posts: 381member
    I hope they also don't forget the smaller indie labels like GSL and Load, etc etc.
  • Reply 7 of 21
    amorphamorph Posts: 7,112member
    Quote:

Originally posted by cinder

I hope they also don't forget the smaller indie labels like GSL and Load, etc etc.

If there are "hundreds" of reps then I imagine it's a pretty comprehensive meeting. I'd be surprised (in a good way!) if, say, Iowa City's own Trailer Records is among them, but it sounds like they cast a wide net.
  • Reply 8 of 21
    thegeldingthegelding Posts: 3,230member
    carrottoprecords

so i can download Handsome Family songs

g
  • Reply 9 of 21
    murkmurk Posts: 935member
    I requested Carrot Top and The Handsome Family.

The news form CD Baby is good. Small labels will encode and upload their own songs. CD Baby means we might just get Amorph's band on the store.:

CD Baby tells all
  • Reply 10 of 21
    thanks for the link murk...great little article there (even if he forgot the decimal and put that apple had 41 billion and not the correct answer of 4.1 billion...i wish apple had 41 billion in the bank)...looks great...SJ talking to independents for 2.5 hours!! i don't like the possible 90 day wait for the software, but perhaps i am reading that wrong...and i guess 90 days isn't the end of the world...just think, in 3 months we may see a huge influx of indie songs to iTMS, that may cause the big 5 to increase the number of songs and albums they also give to the iTMS and we may also get iTunes for PC up and running...if (big if, but looking better each day) in 3 to 4 months we have approx. 400,000 songs (majors and indies) and iTunes for PC, then i really think that apple will have the market if not locked at least safe...if pc users jump on board apple could sell tons and tons of downloads....

sweet

g

if i were the indie labels i would be encoding songs day and night...get friends and neighbors to help...many of these labels could get most of their catalog encoded and on iTunes in a week or so...and the cost would be only labor and time...something that is actually kinda cheap as many can get people to work for cheap as they love the music or the label or the band etc
  • Reply 11 of 21
    709709 Posts: 2,016member
    Quote:

Originally posted by thegelding

...if pc users jump on board apple could sell tons and tons of downloads....

I though only Mac users listened to indie music....

*zip*
  • Reply 12 of 21
    the pc users can download all the britney and 50 cent songs...the mac users would get all the indie stuff

g
  • Reply 13 of 21
    gargoylegargoyle Posts: 660member
    This could be yesterdays news, but BBC is running an article about the CD Baby notes, some nice info...

Quote:

..apple will be giving the smaller companies the same deal as the big ones. take it or leave it...

Perfect business management IMO...

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/2971790.stm
  • Reply 14 of 21
    Yup. We got an email from Derek at CD Baby. Nothing's been signed yet (and CD Baby's still waiting for details about royalties, etc.) but we might be featured on iTMS despite the fact that we aren't signed to a label at all!

This is so unbelievably cool.
  • Reply 15 of 21
    naghanagha Posts: 71member
    Forget iTMS!

eMusic has improved the bitrates on their MP3s to LAME with VBR. I've downloaded over 150 songs in two days after signing up for a 3 month subscription. That's just $45 and I have so much more music than I could ever buy at Apple.

Furthermore, a lot of the independent label stuff that I've been looking for at iTMS is already there. Apple had better improve the AAC bitrates ASAP or they've lost me as soon as eMusic has more labels on board.

na
  • Reply 16 of 21
    competition is a good thing

g

the user interface, the iPod ease of use, the buying only when and what i want...all these things will insure that i don't "forget iTMS"
  • Reply 17 of 21
    Quote:

Originally posted by Amorph

Yup. We got an email from Derek at CD Baby. Nothing's been signed yet (and CD Baby's still waiting for details about royalties, etc.) but we might be featured on iTMS despite the fact that we aren't signed to a label at all!

This is so unbelievably cool.

The inclusion of CD Baby was a pleasant surprise. Are they an actual label with any signed artists? I thought they just resold independent artists' CD's. I guess the main thing Apple wants is someone in the middle to handle royalty payments to artists.
  • Reply 18 of 21
    Quote:

Originally posted by murk

The inclusion of CD Baby was a pleasant surprise. Are they an actual label with any signed artists? I thought they just resold independent artists' CD's. I guess the main thing Apple wants is someone in the middle to handle royalty payments to artists.

Exactly. CD Baby is willing to "act like a label" for the purpose of handling royalties from iTMS to the artists whose albums they sell.

This is very cool.

As for eMusic, if it's all that good, and if it has independents on board, great! The more, the merrier. It sounds like it offers a fundamentally different way of acquiring music, which is also good. The more real, viable options there are available to both artists and fans, the better!
  • Reply 19 of 21
    I hope Steve doesn't ban them for leaking the details. If you missed the original CD Baby page, Moki has posted the details here:

http://www.ambrosiasw.com/webboard/F...ML/006486.html
  • Reply 20 of 21
    paulpaul Posts: 5,278member
    Quote:

Originally posted by nagha

Forget iTMS!

eMusic has improved the bitrates on their MP3s to LAME with VBR. I've downloaded over 150 songs in two days after signing up for a 3 month subscription. That's just $45 and I have so much more music than I could ever buy at Apple.

Furthermore, a lot of the independent label stuff that I've been looking for at iTMS is already there. Apple had better improve the AAC bitrates ASAP or they've lost me as soon as eMusic has more labels on board.

na

very cool site... im surprised they dont get more exposure...

http://help.emusic.com/general/3195....SearchWindow=1

their view of DRM...