New towers to echo look of servers?

Comments

• Reply 21 of 50
    elderlocelderloc Posts: 146member
    Idea Apple goes back to the Desktop stlye case. It could easy use a board much like this one. They could put 4 Drive bays in it.

On another note in the PC world high end cases are made of Alumium. Not only does it look cool but it works as a big heat sink... Hmm could heat with the heat problems???
  • Reply 22 of 50
    bradbowerbradbower Posts: 1,068member
    [quote]Originally posted by Elderloc:

<strong>Idea Apple goes back to the Desktop stlye case. It could easy use a board much like this one. They could put 4 Drive bays in it.

On another note in the PC world high end cases are made of Alumium. Not only does it look cool but it works as a big heat sink... Hmm could heat with the heat problems???</strong><hr></blockquote>

No way. Xserves are 36" deep. Where would I save my deskspace that I gained with my beautiful Apple LCD displays?

Not a very well thought-out idea.
  • Reply 23 of 50
    bradbowerbradbower Posts: 1,068member
    You can count on the brushed (or unfinished, more like it) metal, though.

dull/brushed grey metal = pro

shiny white plastic = consumers

Ironically, the exact opposite will be true, for applications, come Jag-wire.
  • Reply 24 of 50
    scott f.scott f. Posts: 276member
    Brushed-Metal or not... I just pray that Ives doesn't tip the scales of form:function balance.

Regardless of how "cool" the new enclosure looks and if it's brushed-metal... I (like most users) have cables galore coming out of my Mac's backside. As I look at it right now, there are 10 cables coming out and beside it, a stack of USB hubs giving me 25 USB ports... most of them filled.

What's my point...? I'd hate to see a design where the "mess" of cables are not adequately accessable, nor prominently displayed. The current form-factor sits on my desk sideways... where I see the Apple logo, and the panel open's towards me... cables easilly accessible and visible.

The reality is... Pro users don't always "setup & forget it"... we need to get back there and into the chassis regularly. I just hope they don't mess-up current ease of access.
  • Reply 25 of 50
    [quote]Originally posted by bradbower:

<strong>You can count on the brushed (or unfinished, more like it) metal, though.

dull/brushed grey metal = pro

shiny white plastic = consumers

Ironically, the exact opposite will be true, for applications, come Jag-wire. </strong><hr></blockquote>

iMovie, iDVD = consumer = white

FCP, DVDSP = pro = gray

i don't see how that should change with jaguar

:confused: so i think white = easy and gray = pro will stay ...
  • Reply 26 of 50
    mookmook Posts: 16member
    iChat, iTunes, iMovie, iPhoto = brushed metal

Maya, After Effects, Photoshop, etc. = stripey white
  • Reply 27 of 50
    lemon bon bonlemon bon bon Posts: 2,383member
    "I want the G5. Apple can wrap it in an ugly beige box for all I care. The leisurely pace of Motorola's G4 development is getting really old."

Got that right.

Lemon Bon Bon
  • Reply 28 of 50
    [quote]Originally posted by glurx:

<strong>I want the G5. Apple can wrap it in an ugly beige box for all I care. The leisurely pace of Motorola's G4 development is getting really old.</strong><hr></blockquote>

How in the hell would you get a G5 in the old iBook?!?!?

Anyway, I think people who reduce the Apple's design fetishism into 'shiny white' for consumers and 'brushed metal' for pros is really missing the larger context of 'random style flashes that zig and zag from expectations'.

Designwise, Apple dashes hither and fro' always changing things up.

First, it's bondi! (Original iMac)

Now it's curvy! (Original el Capitan)

Now it's fruity! (iMacs)

Now it's graphite! (iMacs, again)

Now it's rubbery! (iBook)

Now it's Gap colors! (iMacs, my favorite, btw)

Now it's white! (iBook 2, iPod)

Now it's square! (iBook 2, tiBook, iPod)

Now it's titanium! (tiBook)

Now it's a sunflower! (iMac 2)

Now it's steel! (Xserve)

So, the next Powermac case?!?!? I'm betting on something out of a Frank Gehry acid trip.

ting5
  • Reply 29 of 50
    BOY! Lots of room for expansion... and heck... a heat sink can be as large as... well... a REAL sink.
  • Reply 30 of 50
    noahjnoahj Posts: 4,503member
    I doubt it. It would be a sweet looking machine, but I am betting Apple stays with plastics for a while longer yet.
  • Reply 31 of 50
    [quote]Originally posted by mook:

<strong>iChat, iTunes, iMovie, iPhoto = brushed metal

Maya, After Effects, Photoshop, etc. = stripey white</strong><hr></blockquote>

sorry, i was wrong about the apple iApps. what about:

apple programs = gray

third party apps = white

• Reply 32 of 50
    prestonpreston Posts: 219member
    It seems that the metals are condusive to packing things in tight spaces (tibook, xserve). I can't think of a way that Ive might use metals in the PowerMac line that would be constructive in assisting the expandability issue. Unless it's a boring, tall box (which I will simply never purchase).

As far as more bays go? I would say that the addition of a 3.25" external drive might be nice for zips, leaving the biggies for cds.

Pres
  • Reply 33 of 50
    satchmosatchmo Posts: 2,699member
    Interesting responses. Especially the Gehry concept.

Nonetheless, if Apple were to go the route of a stainless steel Powermac, I only hope they use it sparingly.

Perhaps it's a combination of materials to give it a warmer feel rather than simply something entirely made from a slab of industrial steel.
  • Reply 34 of 50
    g-newsg-news Posts: 1,107member
    you don't take your PM into bed, so it can be as cold as it wants, if you ask me, especially as cold = good for the parts.

I'd welcome a design close to the Lian Li PC aluminium cases, they're square, but simple and stylish is nice. And with Jon's talent, I'm sure they could work miracles out of a little brushed alu or titanium or whatever it's going to be.

As long as it's not plutonium, it's fine with me.

G-News
  • Reply 35 of 50
    [quote]Originally posted by cinder:

<strong>Some interesting detail on the xServe case:

</strong><hr></blockquote>

Not good. I like those buttons, but just like typical Apple - that Firewire recess will only function with a Apple branded Firewire cable!
  • Reply 36 of 50
    cdhostagecdhostage Posts: 1,038member
    I hope the Nwqe G4s will still have handles and are easy to open.
  • Reply 37 of 50
    [quote]Originally posted by cdhostage:

<strong>I hope the Nwqe G4s will still have handles and are easy to open.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Well... I can't speak for the HANDLES... but I'm sure they will keep the same ease of entry if not make it better. Just look at the Xserve... could access BE any easier...?

Again... the only time I found the handles useful was when I worked at a large firm and we did a lot of moving of the design department... but even then... we used equipment carts to actually MOVE the hardware... the handles just made it easier to lift on & off the cart.

They are beautiful in form, and useful (to some) in function... but I don't know how "necessary" the handles are overall. Just my 2 cents.

- Scott
  • Reply 38 of 50
    sithsith Posts: 25member
    [quote]Originally posted by Mr. Fantastic:

<strong>

Not good. I like those buttons, but just like typical Apple - that Firewire recess will only function with a Apple branded Firewire cable!</strong><hr></blockquote>

Are you basing that one some other info, or just the shape of the port? Cause that sure looks like a normal 6-pin firewire port to me...
  • Reply 39 of 50
    hornethornet Posts: 76member
    Urrr dude, that firewire port is the exact same as the one at the back of my G4, which works for everything firewire....

so ummm, its ok

My bet:

Bad-ass metal style case, but really stylish (think quicksilver coloured but in metal, with various other additions to it).

One firewire port, one fibre firewire port (FW2) accessable on the front

Two 5.25's :/
  • Reply 40 of 50
    I was thinking the case would be another tower with a generally smaller size than current PM's. This is accomplished by removing the handles and just streamlining the current form factor.

Color-wise I would think it would be the apple white with titanium or chrome accents to distinguish it as "professional" from the imacs.

Ive seen a website that had user-submitted "future" macintosh pictures. I cant remember the website, anyone know what Im talking about?

By the by, I would love a desktop version of this PM as well but thats dreaming. maybe they could do what compaq did with their (crappy) deskpro line of computers (aka the noisiest computers ever) and put the drives on a sled that can be rotated 90deg.

Waiting to upgrade from 7500/200