Oracle Makes Bid for PeopleSoft

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Oracle CEO Larry Ellison shocked the technology world today with news that he plans to make

a $5.1 billion offer to buy ERP rival Peoplesoft Inc.

http://eletters.eweek.com/zd/cts?d=7...-173519-6748-1

Comments

• Reply 1 of 9
    cubedudecubedude Posts: 1,556member
    http://www.wired.com/news/business/0,1367,59136,00.html

There's another article at Wired about it.
  • Reply 2 of 9
    aquaticaquatic Posts: 5,602member
    I don't get it. PeopleSoft makes 5th grade level software. Like I said once before my friend in 9th grade makes programs with better interfaces. 5.1 billion? I would pay NOT to use it on my university's site at U. RI.
  • Reply 3 of 9
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,423member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Aquatic

I don't get it. PeopleSoft makes 5th grade level software. Like I said once before my friend in 9th grade makes programs with better interfaces. 5.1 billion? I would pay NOT to use it on my university's site at U. RI.

?????? What do you mean????
  • Reply 4 of 9
    Have you used their stuff? It's bad is my point. I was kind of hoping they would fall off the face of the Earth. Oh well maybe Oracle will make them better.
  • Reply 5 of 9
    dstranathandstranathan Posts: 1,717member
    When you talk about big-dog enterprise level database software like PeopleSoft (which is huge in the corporate HR world), the UI is NOT an important factor. Apple fans sometimes forget that not everyone realizes that a killer GUI even exists. Some dont care, some are just in the dark. Plato's cave, my friend.
  • Reply 6 of 9
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,423member
    Tell me about it. Thankfully I'm only on the receiving end of Peoplesoft info. I already have enough Carpal Tunnel inducing apps to deal with everyday.
  • Reply 7 of 9
    alcimedesalcimedes Posts: 5,486member
    i will say i don't think i've ever heard any of our HR folks complain about PS crashing.
  • Reply 8 of 9
    splinemodelsplinemodel Posts: 7,311member
    Hah! PeopleSoft is a Microsoft bitch-company. If Oracle buys them, I can guarantee that PeopleSoft won't be using MS.
  • Reply 9 of 9
    PS crashes Safari. I haven't had the actual database crash on me..yet. I try not to use it.

*Sigh* Brad this reminds me of klinux. The more info you're dealing with the more important the interface is. Look at how much sheer data iTunes, Safari, and other iApps can handle. They are really professional but sneakily consumer.