Where's the outrage?

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
An excellent editorial by The Nation make an excellent point when questioning the lack of outrage by American public of Bush's lies and contrasting it to Clinton's malfeasances.

http://www.thenation.com/capitalgame...?bid=3&pid=726

Could it be that showing outrage against one's own government in these times where the world is united against us be stigmatized as unpatrioitic?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 26
    enaena Posts: 667member
    Hey, if it was good enough for Clinton, O.J., Vince Foster, and Elian Gonzalez---it's good enough for me.

GWB would have to screw dogs on the White House lawn to go further than the previous administration.
  • Reply 2 of 26
    keyboardf12keyboardf12 Posts: 1,379member
    I think we will begin to see it when the unemployment numbers continue their rise for the rest of the year. One of the 500 pound elephants in america right now is that so many people are _frightened to death_ of losing their jobs.

But i agree with the article. Where is the outrage?

Its ironic that more people were ouraged about a blow job then a kabal of supreme court elected individuals taking so much money out of the budget via tax cuts that it _may_ end up bankrupting public education, and social security as we know it in the next 20 years...
  • Reply 3 of 26
    keyboardf12keyboardf12 Posts: 1,379member
    Quote:

GWB would have to screw dogs on the White House lawn to go further than the previous administration

huh?

a blow job is worse then taking the country into war under _potencially_ false pretenses?

a hummer is worse then sending this country into an obscenely dangerous level of debt?

you keep thinking that, and i do hope you are now, or going to, earn a very nice sum of money in your working lifetime. By the time we get old, you and I will need it just to afford the basics in life.
  • Reply 4 of 26
    pscatespscates Posts: 5,847member
    I see plenty of outrage. Many members here hate the man, hands down. Nothing he does will ever be right and he's "dumb".

Then I read the letters in my local paper. They're pissed.

The local college students held weekly protest/shouting matches once a week during the war.

I turn on the TV and see everyone from Carville to Sheen "outraged".

I talk with friends and co-workers every single day who often have little to nothing nice or positive to say about the current administration.

You're obviously not looking hard enough. I don't think I get through a single day without being exposed to someone's "outrage" at this president, his policies, his statements, his gaffes, his administration, etc.

Quite possibly the most adored AND despised president in modern history? Totally polarizing, it seems.

Shades of Reagan in the '80s? You love him or hate him.
  • Reply 5 of 26
    ghost_user_nameghost_user_name Posts: 22,667member
    Quote:

Originally posted by ena

GWB would have to screw dogs on the White House lawn to go further than the previous administration.

Hmm. Isn´t lying to start a war worse than screwing dogs? It is in my book.
  • Reply 6 of 26
    alcimedesalcimedes Posts: 5,486member
    i would guess that deep down inside most people still think they're going to find WoMD.

or

they don't care because they feel that this was just tying up some loose ends that have been unfinished for 10 years.
  • Reply 7 of 26
    drewpropsdrewprops Posts: 2,321member
    What would it take for you people who are dyed-in-the-wool devotees of Clinton to be outraged at him? This could be a good topic if it slices both ways.
  • Reply 8 of 26
    brussellbrussell Posts: 9,812member
    Quote:

Originally posted by drewprops

What would it take for you people who are dyed-in-the-wool devotees of Clinton to be outraged at him? This could be a good topic if it slices both ways.

I would have been outraged at him if he had busted the budget with tax cuts for the rich. Just as a ferinstance.

8)
  • Reply 9 of 26
    midwintermidwinter Posts: 10,060member
    Quote:

Originally posted by drewprops

I'm no fan of Clinton because, well, he ain't a democrat. But that's beside the point. One of the reasons that Clinton was able to pull off so much crap is apparently just sheer charisma. There's an AMAZING Frontline documentary called "The Clinton Years" that details how time and time again he would completely screw over his senior staff, and they all kept coming back for more.
  • Reply 10 of 26
    aquafireaquafire Posts: 2,758member
    Its Ultimately about SEX rating better & scandalising MORE than WAR..

War is what you do to strangers while SEX involves people like you & me (mostly ).

Nothing sells or outrages Americans more than SEX.

SEX in everything. Your media is Obsessed with it.

How many Amazon forests are chopped down to make trash magazines for people to read tittle-tattle gossip journalism?

SEX with you Fries is more sellable than War with your Fries.

I blame the Judeo-Christian-Islam ethic on this..

All three LOVE WAR & Violence, but get really hung up about having SEX..

Even though they all profess Love for a GOD who Made Sex so damm beautiful & attractive it took humans to create Vouyerism & perversion.

Yes God made SEX for both fun & procreation

(You know..... the stuff that Adam & Eve were up to in the Garden )

AS long as we see SEX as being a greater evil than War, Violence & bloodshed, then we are doomed.

\ \
  • Reply 11 of 26
    jrcjrc Posts: 817member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Existence

An excellent editorial by The Nation make an excellent point when questioning the lack of outrage by American public of Bush's lies and contrasting it to Clinton's malfeasances.

http://www.thenation.com/capitalgame...?bid=3&pid=726

Could it be that showing outrage against one's own government in these times where the world is united against us be stigmatized as unpatrioitic?

I'd be outraged if I personally believed he was lying at all, or if he was lying for reasons that are not right.
  • Reply 12 of 26
    anandanand Posts: 285member
    I would love to go back to clinton. Back then all we had to worry about was who as giving him a BW. Just think about how great the world was during that time. And don't even mention Whitewater. Republicans hate clinton because he did everything they wanted to do, but he did it as a dem.
  • Reply 13 of 26
    randycat99randycat99 Posts: 1,919member
    The unemployment rate is continuing to rise?
  • Reply 14 of 26
    midwintermidwinter Posts: 10,060member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Randycat99

The unemployment rate is continuing to rise?

Yup.
  • Reply 15 of 26
    drewpropsdrewprops Posts: 2,321member
    The thing that I find the most disappointing about almost everyone I've ever met is that they believe that a politician's actions are completely and unequivocably responsible IN REAL TIME for every twist and turn of the: Economy, Morality, Peacfulness and more.

These are the same people who understand the idea behind Chaos Theory and change in systems. These are the same people who understand that there is a lag between the Earth's position on its trip around the sun and its resultant seasons.

I can't help but feel disdain for people who understand the complexities of nature but will not acknowledge that human society is equally complex.

The engines of our Economy experience cumulative effects from past congresses, senates, presidents, state governments, international markets, insurance companies, litigation and a thousand other variables. Morality is a scale that slides back and forth over time; always trending downward in polls- a human tendency toward nostalgia. Peacefulness is a resting spot between inevitable human conflict, give up on expecting it to stick around for as long as you or I would like.

Bill Clinton was not solely responsible for the boom years, nor was he completely a bystander. He was just one singularly visible player among many. Blessed with landing on an uptrend, he encouraged the team like a football coach.

I'm not denying any political figure's immediate and profound effect on our policies and the tone of our government, but anyone who denies the standing wave of preceding history is a damned fool.
  • Reply 16 of 26
    kraig911kraig911 Posts: 912member
    drewpops interesting points, all taken for.

Whats with everyone who isn't an american being totally convinced that he lied? there are certian things in question such as would they let the world know the scope of their weapons program? I'm sure there is lots of classified info that we'll never know.

That and theres absolutely no proof that he lied at all anywhere, just questions raised in foreign pubs, all which have no reporting standards, and are only out to make a buck.

Whats with everyone on here thinking that I or the next person whould think like them too?
  • Reply 17 of 26
    moogsmoogs Posts: 4,296member
    Good points all Drew. The pundits who act like they "know why" the economy (or any number of other items) is good or bad are totally clueless. There are economists who are borderline genius types, who spend their whole lives trying to understand the mechanisms which propel (or slow) our economy, and never come close to fully understanding. Yet somehow, the Chris Matthews and James Carville's of the world - being nothing but journalists - somehow miraculously understand everything SO well, they even know who to point fingers at. Retards, all of them.

That said, I think both Clinton and Bush (and many of their cronies) are lying sacks of shit. What gets me is the die-hards on either political side acting like their side is so much less "dishonest" or "greedy" or "corrupt". The system itself is corrupt, so what other type of people do you honestly except to be running it?

Sure there are some good Apples from every state and every city, but most of them are crooked as crap. And that is because they have put political mechanisms in place that allow them first and foremost to keep their kushy little jobs, not to serve their public, get things done and then move on. Until term limits are properly addressed our federal system will remain the half-assed country club it is today.
  • Reply 18 of 26
    sdw2001sdw2001 Posts: 18,016member
    Oh look! Another bush is lying bastard thread!

Yes!
  • Reply 19 of 26
    brbr Posts: 8,395member
    Quote:

Originally posted by SDW2001

Oh look! Another bush is lying bastard thread!

Yes!

Oh look! Another intelligent contribution to a thread!
  • Reply 20 of 26
    alcimedesalcimedes Posts: 5,486member
    Quote:

Oh look! Another intelligent contribution to a thread!

Oh look! Massive irony.