AI gets in on the action

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Hey, even AppleInsider is getting in on the G5 speculation. Personally I think this sounds like a retread of other rumors, but hey, its 'homegrown' news.

Comments...

Comments

• Reply 1 of 375
    wrong robotwrong robot Posts: 3,907member
    Quote:

Originally posted by blue2kdave

Hey, even AppleInsider is getting in on the G5 speculation. Personally I think this sounds like a retread of other rumors, but hey, its 'homegrown' news.

Comments...

AI has a front page!
  • Reply 2 of 375
    brussellbrussell Posts: 9,812member
    Wow, I think that's the first actual prediction for WWDC I've seen. Appleinsider doesn't have the best rep, but they were the first (I believe) to predict the iTunes Music Store.

I'm waiting to hear from ThinkSecret.

[edit]I don't get this part:

Quote:

According to sources, Apple plans to make the Power Mac G5 available to the public following their introduction on June 23rd. These initial units will ship with Mac OS 10.2, and hence, will not be optimized for the 64 bit PPC 970 processor. Consumers who purchase these Power Mac G5s will receive a coupon for a free copy of Mac OS 10.3 (Panther), which will ship in September and will be optimized for the new 64 bit processor.

My understanding is that the OS will have to be revised to some extent to run on this machine. So what does it mean to have a new OS "optimized" to run 64-bit? Are we going to have 64-bit window resizing or something? What in the OS itself has to be 64-bit, or will see any benefit from 64-bitness?
  • Reply 3 of 375
    thegeldingthegelding Posts: 3,230member
    the last AI frontpage report that was dead on was the apple music store rumor...it was written by kasper jade with help from neworder...

did neworder help with this story???

g
  • Reply 4 of 375
    joekjoek Posts: 93member
    Quote:

Originally posted by BRussell

Wow, I think that's the first actual prediction for WWDC I've seen. Appleinsider doesn't have the best rep, but they were the first (I believe) to predict the iTunes Music Store.

macrumors was the first, if you don't count an anonymous slashdot post from last year.

http://www.macrumors.com/pages/2003/...26195649.shtml
  • Reply 5 of 375
    lemon bon bonlemon bon bon Posts: 2,383member
    As expected, the G5 will storm out the gates pre:Panther. Sell loads.

Then Apple gets Panther out there and sells loads more. No reason why Apple should lose half a year's worth of sales and begin putting the 'Power'Mac sales BACK ON THE MAP! Workstation crowd will go ape-sh*t for this one!

Be nice if they could get a Quadro as BTO.

This IS the first 'parapit' G5 rumor this year in my eyes. I've been waiting four years for this baby. And I'm glad it's on Appleinsider. My board of choice.

I'm thrilled at the news. I will wait for the dual 1.8 of course...

Lemon Bon Bon 8)
  • Reply 6 of 375
    thegeldingthegelding Posts: 3,230member
    dual 1.8 chips or dual core 1.8 chip??

the article mentions single core with dual coming...i assume that is a typo thingy going on...i expect dual single core chips to come...

is the 980 a dual or single core chip?

g
  • Reply 7 of 375
    silvergunsilvergun Posts: 62member
    it seems to me that the specs of the new architecture are pretty cheap as a whole making me think the new macs will be very competitive in price with pcs..interesting year ahead
  • Reply 8 of 375
    pscatespscates Posts: 5,847member
    Okay, how would this be (and how it would change EVERYTHING as we currently know it):

- Apple announces/unveils 970-based PowerMacs on the 23rd. And 970-based PowerBooks. Oh yeah, the iMac and iBook too. And the eMac. Bug off, Motorola...you had your shot.

- Announces 10-20% price cuts on ALL models: iBooks now selling for $899, 17" PowerBook going for about $2799. NOTHING on Apple's roster is over $2799 (talking towers, laptops and iStuff here, not XServe) AND it's all sporting the new chips and architecture. Just BAM, BAM, BAM.

- Announces MASSIVE media-saturating 4-point marketing campaign unlike any of its past lame efforts: 1) the OS 2) the hardware 3) the iApps 4) A Switch campaign done right. Massive presence in major publications, celebrity spokespeople appearing in commercials, etc. All are interchangeable, groupable or standalone. They can overlap as needed: a PowerBook ad or commercial can highlight the snot out of the OS and iDVD. An ad for iPhoto or OS X can featuring awe-inspiring photography or footage of the towers, iBooks, iPod, etc. Just beat the world over the head with imagery, cool new Switch stories, debunk the myths, take no prisoners. Actually, Jobs' statement on stage is pretty much this, verbatim: "Okay, you know...that's IT! No more excuses and no more 'maybe next year'. We're tired of #@%#ing around, playing 'niche market', third-string runner-up and afterthought. That all ends TODAY. Microsoft, Dell, Gateway...we're coming for your ass. Get ready. Oh, there's just one more thing: Mr. Dvorak...you're a tired old hack who doesn't get it and never will. Suck it."

1. New KICK-ASS gear

2. New KICK-ASS pricing for said gear

3. New KICK-ASS, take-no-prisoners, "if you don't own a Mac, you're truly missing out AND you need your head examined for using a PC" marketing

It would change EVERYTHING.

Yes, the above is all said with TONGUE PLANTED FIRMLY IN CHEEK and fantasizing for fun a bit on this drizzly Saturday afternoon (in other words, don't bug me about "that won't work because...". Spare me, please. But, by George, doesn't some part of you - the hidden pirate in all of us - just absolutely CRAVE a scenario like the above? Just to see what would happen? It would absolutely rock in every way possible. I'd laugh myself silly, then I'd genuinely tear up because the monumental, far-reaching implications of the above would slowly dawn on me. LOL. The best hardware, the best OS, competitive pricing AND the knowledge that Apple is busting their butt making sure the entire world knows about it all. Truly a new era!

And yes, I've had a beer or two...my better ideas usually come when I'm thinking a bit more freely.

• Reply 9 of 375
    wfzellewfzelle Posts: 137member
    Quote:

My understanding is that the OS will have to be revised to some extent to run on this machine. So what does it mean to have a new OS "optimized" to run 64-bit? Are we going to have 64-bit window resizing or something? What in the OS itself has to be 64-bit, or will see any benefit from 64-bitness?

Apple will have to release a minor update to 10.2 to support the new machines. It needs new drivers and such. However, 10.2 will run in 32-bit mode. That means that it won't support more than 4GB of ram and won't support 64-bit apps. That won't be a problem for most users, 10.3 won't be any faster because it can run in 64-bit mode (although it probably will be faster because it is optimized better in other ways) and most people don't need 64-bit software or a lot of ram.
  • Reply 10 of 375
    shaktaishaktai Posts: 157member
    Quote:

I don't get this part:

The average consumer doesn't currently stand to benefit a lot from 64 bit anytime soon, but the high end graphics, video, music and science markets do. Once Panther is released, that capability can be unleashed. In the meantime, the developers can get started, and the average tower user can still benefit from the significant hardware technology improvements with the current apps.

A lot of folks seem to think that 64 bit won't mean much for some time to come for most folks. I tend to wonder though. For instance, could 64 bit with the new hardware, finally unleash a "decent" speech recognition technology?

Interesting summary article though. AI hasn't published anything this year that they haven't been pretty confident (and accurate) about.
  • Reply 11 of 375
    wfzellewfzelle Posts: 137member
    Quote:

Originally posted by thegelding

the article mentions single core with dual coming...i assume that is a typo thingy going on...i expect dual single core chips to come...

is the 980 a dual or single core chip?

Dual core, probably. The Power5 will be dual core and the 980 is to be derived from that. You can also expect SMT.
  • Reply 12 of 375
    brussellbrussell Posts: 9,812member
    The 'G5' name is believable to me. Think how long Apple has kept the i... names.
  • Reply 13 of 375
    jonathanjonathan Posts: 312member
    <smeagol>

the g5 is my preecious...

</smeagol>
  • Reply 14 of 375
    pscatespscates Posts: 5,847member
    It's certainly more snappy and easier to say than "970". But I wonder if the whole "G" thing is/has been played out?

I don't know. I guess not. G5. That's what we've all said all along anyway, right?
  • Reply 15 of 375
    Quote:

it seems to me that the specs of the new architecture are pretty cheap as a whole making me think the new macs will be very competitive in price with pcs..interesting year ahead

Yes. They need to be. This is Apple's 'return of serve'. Because on 'spec' they haven't returned a serve in the last four years against the Wintel 'aces'.

This is their chance and they need to get these things competitively priced. You won't get the kind of growth Apple is after being twice the price of the competition...even if you're twice as fast. Need 'Wow, I'm getting the dosh out now...doyouseehowcheapthenewtowersare?' type prices from Apple.

Still. I'm confident 'New Apple' will surprise us with their pricing. They seem to be much better than in the past these days and I hope they day further steps to make their whole line cheaper.

PSCATES, your post, like many of my own (heh), may be 'tongue in cheek'...but I think they've got to do all that. Seriously, I think they DO intend to do all that over the next year. They will IF they're SERIOUS about that 10% figure. If Steve Jobs says he wants 10% and Apple 'there' then I'm pretty sure he's got a plan to sort things out.

Beer or no beer, Mr. Cates...I enjoyed that post.

G5? 'Whoo-hoo!'

Lemon Bon Bon
  • Reply 16 of 375
    o and ao and a Posts: 579member
    Quote:

Originally posted by silvergun

If you noticed that last two updates of the powermac have had prices drops relative to the previous model. I think this update won't be any different...At least i hope
  • Reply 17 of 375
    Quote:

I hope this trend is significant for the G5 debut.

Lemon Bon Bon
  • Reply 18 of 375
    ensign pulverensign pulver Posts: 1,193member
    Quote:

Originally posted by thegelding

the article mentions single core with dual coming...i assume that is a typo thingy going on...

Yes, it's frustrating that our first AI article on the 970 is so poorly worded on such an important point.

There had better be a dual processor config available. It would be really dumb for Apple to offer only single 970 machines.

And yes, in my book this counts as the first actual prediction from a major rumors site. (No, Mac Scooby Doo does not count.)
  • Reply 19 of 375
    pfflampfflam Posts: 5,053member
    I am an engineerless-foo newbie, but won't there be a chance that the operating system will take advantage of 64 bit for 32bit programs?
  • Reply 20 of 375
    3.14163.1416 Posts: 120member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Ensign Pulver

YThere had better be a dual processor config available. It would be really dumb for Apple to offer only single 970 machines.

There's no way Apple would go from a high end of dual 1.4s to a single 1.8, even if the 970 is faster for most things. It just looks terrible from a marketing standpoint. I could see the single 970s being available a few weeks before the duals, just because of supply issues.