G4 desktop or PowerBook?

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
G4 or PowerBook

Both 1GHz proc, 1Ghz RAM, super drive blah blah...

both around the same price too (around $7000). except the power book has a 17" display while the G4 is just the tower, no monitor.

I own the G4 (using my old 15" monitor) and am thinking about selling it and buying its equal in the powerbook. BUT what are the PROS & CONS on this change over.. should i just spend the extra money i'll end up spending on the change, on getting a 17" LCD monitor??? [its a desk space thing, and a want of a bigger screen]

I use the mac for video editing, graphic design, and writing. Being able to go outside to write and design and also edit on location would be cool.

-ziggy

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    murbotmurbot Posts: 5,262member
    Hey ziggy, purchasing advice belongs in General Discussion, so I'll move it over for you...

• Reply 2 of 4
    Welcome to the boards. If you are looking to purchase a new desktop, amazing new processors, the PowerPC 970, are just around the corner and are rumored to be in new PowerMacs, so now is NOT the time to buy a PowerMac. Personally, I would go with the Powerbook. I have been using my 15" for just over a year and I love it. If you don't mind it being a bit slower in rendering video projects, the Powerbook is the best bet, but let's break it down.

Powerbook Pros:

-Portability, portability, portability...imagime meeting with clients and pulling out your 17" powerbook to show them their video or graphics.

-Practically everything a desktop has...speed, ram, HD, video card, and included gorgeous 17" display.

-Takes up very little space.

Powerbook cons:

-More fragile and prone to falling off desks.

-More expensive than equally powerful PowerMac.

-Less expandibility

PowerMac Pros:

-Super powerful and soon to be MEGA powerful processors.

-Great expandibility

-Huge amount of HD space, (4x160GB drives)

-More display options (17", 20", 23")

-Faster Superdrive (4x faster)

PowerMac Cons:

-NOT portable

-doesn't come with display

-Takes up space.

THere are more to each but I can't think of them at the moment. I LOVE my Powerbook. If you are looking to buy now, the 17" is great, but there is a possibility that it will be updated soon, some rumors suggest dual processors in it. The 15" is begging for an upgrade...some are hoping the new PowerPC 970 chips will be in them. Good Luck!
  • Reply 3 of 4
    pscatespscates Posts: 5,847member
    Ziggy, you said it yourself (and kinda sealed the deal, as far as I'm concerned):

Quote:

I use the mac for video editing, graphic design, and writing. Being able to go outside to write and design and also edit on location would be cool.

PowerBook, my brother. You already know.

The 17" model is basically a full-featured recent vintage desktop G4 (complete with all the features - and then some - of its four-handled big brother). All that, AND it tucks under your arm and goes where you want it to, when you want it to.

What could possibly be any cooler than that?
  • Reply 4 of 4
    jcjc Posts: 342member
    get the powerbook 17. it is the best machime i have ever had by far.

powerbook stats

more reliable and more fun

super cool

has everything on it

will make you smile

Desktop stats

powerful and fast