Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
Seems that though some lucky guessing down in the "Suggestions" threat I've figured out that there will be a Jaguar update code-named Gollum or Smeagol that will let Jag run on the 970.

So, any guesses as to what else (if anything) this update will include?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 35
    sikkdsikkd Posts: 47member
  • Reply 2 of 35
    jlljll Posts: 2,713member
    Quote:

Originally posted by sikkd

Hello, yes i know:

It will be called Phoerus and will include:

ONLY IMPROVEMENTS TO THE FairPlay?-Framework that is the key to play Locked AAC-Files.

It adds AAC2, FairPlay?2

and it will disable the possibility to mount the iPod with USB 1.1 / 2.0 (powermac g4/powerbook g4 produced after april)

How do i know this?

i work at AppleCare French in Corcaigh (Ireland)

If you want the document in which this is is explained, mail me at [email protected]

• Reply 3 of 35
    thegeldingthegelding Posts: 3,230member
    10.2.7 will be an update to allow the new PM running the new 970 chips to run jaguar...the 970 is made for panther, so jag needs a mod to run this chip...it will have little else in it probably...

panther should, according to the rumors, not only run the 970 nicely, but will also give a nice kick to the G4 macs out there also...

fun times

g
  • Reply 4 of 35
    chuckerchucker Posts: 5,089member
    Quote:

Originally posted by thegelding

10.2.7 will be an update to allow the new PM running the new 970 chips to run jaguar...the 970 is made for panther, so jag needs a mod to run this chip...it will have little else in it probably...

panther should, according to the rumors, not only run the 970 nicely, but will also give a nice kick to the G4 macs out there also...

fun times

g

That's what I believe too. 10.2.7 will be 970 equivalent to what 7.1.2 was for the first PowerMacintosh generation.
  • Reply 5 of 35
    Quote:

ONLY IMPROVEMENTS TO THE FairPlay?-Framework that is the key to play Locked AAC-Files.

It adds AAC2, FairPlay?2

Nope. Mac OS X in itself won't update anything iTunes- or QuickTime-related. Plus this is the first time I've heard of "AAC2". Who developed it in such a short time? Dolby? Aren't they busy doing other things?

Quote:

and it will disable the possibility to mount the iPod with USB 1.1 / 2.0 (powermac g4/powerbook g4 produced after april)

Say whaaaat.

Quote:

If you want the document in which this is is explained, mail me at [email protected]

Thanks, can I get the credit card number, too?
  • Reply 6 of 35
    aquaticaquatic Posts: 5,602member
    Why would it be updated for the 970? I thought Panther was going to be released with them.

There are many withstanding bugs in Jaguar I'd rather have Apple focus on, with a release in a week or two or asap.
  • Reply 7 of 35
    Quote:

Originally posted by Aquatic

Why would it be updated for the 970? I thought Panther was going to be released with them.

Panther won't be released in two weeks.
  • Reply 8 of 35
    sikkdsikkd Posts: 47member
  • Reply 9 of 35
    Quote:

Originally posted by Chucker

Nope. Mac OS X in itself won't update anything iTunes- or QuickTime-related. Plus this is the first time I've heard of "AAC2". Who developed it in such a short time? Dolby? Aren't they busy doing other things?:

Phoerus -> Fear Us

• Reply 10 of 35
    Quote:

Yes, mac os x would not update anything music related.

But the FairPlay?-AAC Listening rights managmend is guided by the OS and not iTunes.

Nope. The OS doesn't have DRM frameworks.
  • Reply 11 of 35
    bartobarto Posts: 2,246member
    Quote:

Nope. The OS doesn't have DRM frameworks.

Yup. The DRM is handled by QuickTime, not Mac OS X. QuickTime is of course part of Mac OS X. Basically all the multimedia in X is handled by Quicktime. All the sound, video and pictures you see. However, QuickTime is updated seperately from Mac OS X.

AAC2? WTF? AAC support was only introduced in iTunes a couple of months ago! Also, why would Apple be using Fairplay 2? Why f*** up the iTMS for everyone, when Fairplay 1 hasn't been cracked yet (AFAIK - please inform me if otherwise )

The iPod comment is the only believable thing in there, but because of the other BS I don't trust you.

Barto
  • Reply 12 of 35
    daverdaver Posts: 496member
    I did read that Apple might add support for aacPlus to QuickTime this summer.

AAC2 and FairPlay2? Right.
  • Reply 13 of 35
    thegeldingthegelding Posts: 3,230member
    Quote:

There are many withstanding bugs in Jaguar I'd rather have Apple focus on, with a release in a week or two or asap.

there will be a pre-release test version of panther shown at WWDC and maybe even some preview copies going home with some of the developers...but if the new macs come out at WWDC panther will not be ready for home or office use...the new PMs and maybe new other 970 hardware will all run jaguar till the release of panther in september...that is why we will see one more update to jaguar (we may see two updates as there is bound to be some bugs in any version 1 release)...so WWDC keynote we preview panther and then see new hardware...new hardware comes in early july with 10.2.7...then one more point release (10.2.8 ) to stamp a few 970 bugs in august...then panther, 10.3, released in sept...quickly followed by 10.3.1 (bug fix) and 10.3.2 (powerbook addition) etc etc

g
  • Reply 14 of 35
    pyr3pyr3 Posts: 946member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Barto

AAC2? WTF? AAC support was only introduced in iTunes a couple of months ago! Also, why would Apple be using Fairplay 2? Why f*** up the iTMS for everyone, when Fairplay 1 hasn't been cracked yet (AFAIK - please inform me if otherwise )

I think that he means AAC for MPEG-4. There was an AAC codec for MPEG-2. The one that Apple is using is one that was developed for MPEG4. Sorta like AAC version 2.0. Unless I am mistaken.
  • Reply 15 of 35
    Quote:

Originally posted by pyr3

I think that he means AAC for MPEG-4. There was an AAC codec for MPEG-2. The one that Apple is using is one that was developed for MPEG4. Sorta like AAC version 2.0. Unless I am mistaken.

Guys, he's a fake!!!
  • Reply 16 of 35
    Quote:

Apple doesn't and will not support MPEG-2 AAC. So I still don't see that guy's point. He's just a liar.
  • Reply 17 of 35
    pyr3pyr3 Posts: 946member
    Quote:

Apple doesn't and will not support MPEG-2 AAC. So I still don't see that guy's point. He's just a liar.

I'm not saying he has a point. I'm just saying that I think what he means by 'AAC2' is the MPEG4 AAC. Doesn't mean that his statement was true, though. I never claimed it was.
  • Reply 18 of 35
    Quote:

I'm not saying he has a point. I'm just saying that I think what he means by 'AAC2' is the MPEG4 AAC. Doesn't mean that his statement was true, though. I never claimed it was.

He meant nothing except for sounding interesting by adding the number 2 to various things.
  • Reply 19 of 35
    aquaticaquatic Posts: 5,602member
    TheGelding you're right! Why didn't I see this before. Of course Apple will make everyone buy the G5 then pay even more money separately for Panther. Apple and its usual tricks, biting the hand that feeds it.
  • Reply 20 of 35
    Quote:

TheGelding you're right! Why didn't I see this before. Of course Apple will make everyone buy the G5 then pay even more money separately for Panther. Apple and its usual tricks, biting the hand that feeds it.

I guess you haven't been paying attention to the front page.