New PPC 970 Laptops

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
Ok, after doing some sluthing I came across a PPC 970 pdf that IBM has on there site.

http://www3.ibm.com/chips/techlib/te...70_MPF2002.pdf

Noting that on page 14 it shows the specs on the new PPC 970. The 1.8ghz dissipates 48 wats of heat... this is fine for the new line of PMs but far too high for the new TiBooks... Just below, it then stats that a PPC 970 running at 1.2ghz will only dissipate 19 wats and draw 1.1 volts. This is perfect for the new TiBooks, and it would be a healthy speed bump to the whole line.

I for one would like to have a 64-bit PPC in my lap.

Would this be the first 64-bit laptop created?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 122
    keyboardf12keyboardf12 Posts: 1,379member
    Sun had a sparc laptop for a while. not sure what "bit" the chip was though.
  • Reply 2 of 122
    maskermasker Posts: 451member
    Jobs was serious when he said it's the year of the laptops.

I think a 970 based 15 inch PowerBook is a given at WWDC.

Also a 970 based desktop

and some kind of bluetooth capable "better than a PDA" device.

3P
  • Reply 3 of 122
    ghost_user_nameghost_user_name Posts: 22,667member
    I took a look at suns website but there is no sign of a laptop (32 or 64 bit)... must have been a complete failure.

I have heard about the uncomfortably warm feeling people notice using the 12 inch TiBook. Hopefully the lower displaced wattage takes care of the problem.
  • Reply 4 of 122
    i think they stopped selling it years ago.

many many people at sun have moved up to powerbook titaniums and the unix OSX provides for it.

even gosling the "father" of java moved to a powerbook.
  • Reply 5 of 122
    macjedaimacjedai Posts: 263member
    Quote:

Originally posted by \\/\\/ickes

I took a look at suns website but there is no sign of a laptop (32 or 64 bit)... must have been a complete failure.

I have heard about the uncomfortably warm feeling people notice using the 12 inch TiBook. Hopefully the lower displaced wattage takes care of the problem.

The Sun laptop was around in the mid 1990s. We had one at work. It wasn't bad, but clunky slow. They stopped making them shortly afterwards.
  • Reply 6 of 122
    andersanders Posts: 6,523member
    Quote:

Originally posted by MacJedai

The Sun laptop was around in the mid 1990s. We had one at work. It wasn't bad, but clunky slow. They stopped making them shortly afterwards.

There is still laptops with sparcs out there...
  • Reply 7 of 122
    kurtkurt Posts: 225member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Anders

There is still laptops with sparcs out there...

Like here.

Love the line, "PARCLE® notebooks from Tadpole® are the most affordable, full featured UNIX notebooks money can buy." What about an iBook?
  • Reply 8 of 122
    Quote:

_440MHz, 500MHz or 650MHz UltraSPARC® processors

gee unless Sun gets their mghz up all their customers are going to switch to Windows. blah blah blah..

• Reply 9 of 122
    lemon bon bonlemon bon bon Posts: 2,383member
    Having the world's first 64 bit laptop would be irrestible to showman Jobs in 'The Year of the Laptop.'

September at the latest?

Lemon Bon Bon
  • Reply 10 of 122
    bihbih Posts: 44member
    How much power do the current G4 processors use in comparision to this 19w figure?
  • Reply 11 of 122
    Quote:

Originally posted by Masker

Amen...and here's hopin.
  • Reply 12 of 122
    gamblorgamblor Posts: 446member
    From here (on page 15):

The 7457 uses:

at 1GHz, 15.8W Typical, 22W Max.

at 1.3GHz, 18.7W Typical, 26W Max.

So if we assume the 970's 19W corresponds to what Moto calls the "typical rating", then at 1.2GHz the 970 is in line with a 1.3GHz 7457 G4.

Also note that the current G4 used in Powerbooks is a 7455, so it's typical power consumption is probably going to be higher than that for the 7457. A 1GHz 7455 may consume as much power as a 1.3GHz 7457...

[edit-- from here, it looks like the 7455 uses 15W typical, 22W max.]
  • Reply 13 of 122
    ghost_user_nameghost_user_name Posts: 22,667member
    Something smells fishy...

Why would apple need such monstrous heatsinks in there line of PMs when the chip only gives off around 20 watts each. I have seen Athlon based PCs running around 65-75 watts with much smaller heatsink and fan setups. Also the PDF Gamblor just linked to stats that the typical watts are after the I/O power and PLL power are taken out.

Smelly alright...
  • Reply 14 of 122
    gamblorgamblor Posts: 446member
    Remember that the fastest 7455 listed in the PDF is 1GHz... I'd expect the 1.25 & 1.42 GHz G4s to consume quite a bit more power (perhaps twice as much at 1.42GHz, if not more).

[edit-- I should also note that Apple has traditionally tried to build their machines to be quieter than the typical PC. I'd imagine that's at least partially responsible for the massive heat sinks on current machines, even if they didn't really succeed in reaching their goal.]
  • Reply 15 of 122
    kupan787kupan787 Posts: 586member
    Quote:

Why would apple need such monstrous heatsinks in there line of PMs when the chip only gives off around 20 watts each. I have seen Athlon based PCs running around 65-75 watts with much smaller heatsink and fan setups. Also the PDF Gamblor just linked to stats that the typical watts are after the I/O power and PLL power are taken out.

Smelly alright...

Also remember that the towers are duals, and therefore the large heat sinks are needed. Dual 1.4GHz could be giving off around 50+ watts (maybe more, this is just trying to guess based on the 1GHz part). The single 1GHz probably could go without the large heatsink, but problably it is easyer (and cheaper) for Apple to have a "one size fits all" strategy here.

[EDIT] I just reread your post. If it is true that you have seen PCs which dissipate 65-70 watts, with smaller fan/heatsink setups what is Apple doing? Or are the numbers MOT is putting out not exactly correct?
  • Reply 16 of 122
    Off topic but...

What if they created a new case that has heatsinks around the outside and heatpiped the heatsink to the case, this would cut the noise.

I got the idea from...

http://www.mini-itx.com/reviews/hush/
  • Reply 17 of 122
    daverdaver Posts: 496member
    Quote:

Smelly alright...

The chips that Apple uses in the current Power Macs are low-voltage 7455s (MPC7455B?) that run quite hot. They're a little different than the regular 7455 used in PowerBooks.
  • Reply 18 of 122
    Quote:

Originally posted by Masker

Also a 970 based desktop

and some kind of bluetooth capable "better than a PDA" device.

3P

While Apple is not going to go into the telecom market, PDA would look like a viable option as Palm isn't seeing it's better days.

It would seem likely that the 15" version would be the first to get the upgrade also, but it would make more sense to do the 17" while your at it.
  • Reply 19 of 122
    While there at it...

Introduce the dual PPC970 23" TiBook, as a kicker it doubles as a snowboard.
  • Reply 20 of 122
    algolalgol Posts: 833member
    I'm not so sure about the whole 970 in PowerBooks coming out so soon. I think apple is going to be hard pressed to get the towers out the door. We may see 970 powerbooks later in the year. The G4 is not such a bad chip for Laptops. Moto is headed to the embedded market and they would probably be better at Laptop chip making that IBM. The new 7457 with the low K tech could be a great plus for battery life.