My stepdad's hotrod...

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
He's been building it for the past couple of years (evenings and weekends, just taking his time). It's still not completely finished (some trim work and the interior is waiting to be finished and then upholstered).

It's a 29 Ford, but heavily altered (the hardtop roof, the windows, siderunners, etc.

I remember when it was a black metal frame with 4 crappy tires on it.

He built the engine, fabricated the grill, chopped the roof, made the round side windows and did all the assembling and machining. He and his brother painted it last month (I did lobby quite hard for metallic orange...) and he dropped the engine in a few weekends ago.

It's LOUD!

And I took my first ride in it today, to the hardware store. We wound up on an isolated half-mile straightaway road near an industrial/commercial area and he pegged the accelerator. First time ever I've been pinned back to my seat by the speed/power of a car. And I LOVED it.

Took these pics today...

http://homepage.mac.com/pscates/PhotoAlbum15.html

Comments

• Reply 1 of 8
    scottscott Posts: 7,431member
    I'm not sure I like the color but it's very well done. I just saw a frame like one of the these going down I-94 on a flat bed.
  • Reply 2 of 8
    alcimedesalcimedes Posts: 5,486member
    not bad at all.

i've worked on a few but never had the time/money for my own. one of these days i'm going to, but i'll need an extra garage to do it in. very nice though.
  • Reply 3 of 8
    pscatespscates Posts: 5,847member
    About the color, he and my Mom only changed their mind about 400 times during the building process!

Funny thing, their VERY first choice (over two years ago) was yellow. During the process, they also considered a metallic salmon color, some blues and other colors. Flames and pinstriping were also considered, but, in the end, they went with their initial gut instinct.

It's a PPG color. Something like "sunflower yellow" or "sunshine yellow", I think. It's a nice, slightly muted lemon yellow color...not quite "faded", but also not a pure, blinding yellow either.

It looks really nice in person. And thre's still some work to be done, but it's probably well over 90% complete. Mostly interior at this point.
  • Reply 4 of 8
    scottscott Posts: 7,431member
    I'm guessing they are going to take it to shows and what not?
  • Reply 5 of 8
    Yeah, probably. They go to that stuff a bit and even here in town, on Friday nights, there's a big group of people with hotrods and old cars and restored stuff that congregate in the parking lot of a nearby Wal-Mart. Nothing formal, just people with their cool cars all lined up and checking each other's cars out and so forth.

But I think he will take it to more organized, "serious" shows and stuff too. When it's all finished, of course.

They just like driving it around and it's been a true labor of love, so now they're going to have a blast with it. They've waited for this moment for a long time.
  • Reply 6 of 8
    curiousuburbcuriousuburb Posts: 3,325member
    damn, those are some fred flintstone funnycar wide tires, dude.
  • Reply 7 of 8
    Quote:

Originally posted by pscates

It's LOUD!

That's a good start.

I admire people with the time/money/talent to do this. Hope he enjoys it!
  • Reply 8 of 8
    Well he?s certainly got the talent. The money for the parts was spread out over several years, a bit at a time. And, of course, he saved a TON on any labor costs because...well, he did it all himself.

And he just made time when he could, between a full-time job (often over 50 hours/week), work around the house, being a good husband, etc.

Nobody in my family is rich and he had to squeeze all this in as he could, so that?s probably another reason they like it so much...after all that time and waiting, there?s a sweet, tangible payoff in the end. And that?s probably why I dig it as much also, because I know the time and effort put into it. I was telling them yesterday that this feels much cooler than just plopping down money for one and you have no real, personal stake in it.

It makes ME want to build one!