OS 9 Mail Server

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
Hi there,

I have just been given an old 6400/180 and I was wanting to run a mail server for my site on it. It would not be high volume, so I think that it could handle it. Can anyone recommend a free/cheap OS9 mail server that can handle POP3, SMTP and possibly IMAP?

Thanks,

Matt

Comments

• Reply 2 of 7
    Quote:

Originally posted by Matt FT

Hi there,

I have just been given an old 6400/180 and I was wanting to run a mail server for my site on it. It would not be high volume, so I think that it could handle it. Can anyone recommend a free/cheap OS9 mail server that can handle POP3, SMTP and possibly IMAP?

Thanks,

Matt

EIMS must be one of the best mail servers around...

http://www.eudora.com/eims/
  • Reply 3 of 7
    matt ftmatt ft Posts: 87member
    I assume you are recommending running UNIX on the old thing? I hadn't concidered that. I was hoping to keep it OS9, but I supose UNIX is probably better for an email server. However, I know jack about UNIX except for what I picked up during my scientifiy uni days. Any recommendations for a UNIX mail server?

Thanks for the advice - please keep it coming!
  • Reply 4 of 7
    matt ftmatt ft Posts: 87member
    Quote:

Originally posted by crooked spoon

EIMS must be one of the best mail servers around...

http://www.eudora.com/eims/

Ouch! $400 is a little out of my price range.
  • Reply 5 of 7
    rokrok Posts: 3,519member
    you may be able to find an old (i.e. used) version of webstar 4.x kicking around (you may want to check ebay, among others). it was one of the only full-fledged pre-os x server suites around for a long time until apple got all unix-friendly. 4d might also be willing to sell it at a discount.

anyway, i never used it, so i can't comment on its abilities, but it may be what you're looking for if it's cheap.
  • Reply 6 of 7
    jccbinjccbin Posts: 476member
    Tenon systems is selling the OS 9 apache software (including mail server) for $99 now - closeout pricing.

It's called WebTen or something like that. Look at the headline on Macnn, or visit www.tenon.com (i think).
  • Reply 7 of 7
    wjmoorewjmoore Posts: 210member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Matt FT

I assume you are recommending running UNIX on the old thing? I hadn't concidered that. I was hoping to keep it OS9, but I supose UNIX is probably better for an email server. However, I know jack about UNIX except for what I picked up during my scientifiy uni days. Any recommendations for a UNIX mail server?

Thanks for the advice - please keep it coming!

I reckon the Linux option is the way to go. I have no idea what is a good mail server, my friend uses courier IMAP on his FreeBSD server. A quick look at http://www.au.freebsd.org/ports/mail.html reveals many options, sure they are FreeBSD ports but I imagine most would be available for Linux as well.

WM